Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Unique first dance song

My fiance and I are having a hard time picking our first dance song.  We don't have any songs that are particularly special to us...and we definitely do not want to dance to something that has been overused. 
We're thinking of Ray LaMontagne "You are the best thing," DMB "You and me" or Jason Mraz "Lucky"

If anyone has any acoustic songs similar to these or unique song ideas let me know! All ideas are appreciated! :)

Re: Unique first dance song

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our first dance song is going to be Diamond from Steven Kellogg & the Sixers.

Planning/Project Fit

Photobucket
    "Sounds of laughter shades of earth are ringing through my open ears inciting and inviting me"
  • Options
    cydnigracecydnigrace member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our first dance is going to be Andrew Allen's "Loving You Tonight". My FI and I were wanting something meaningful to us, so we originally chose Train's "Marry Me" since Train was the first concert we went to, and the singles from their latest album basically chronicled our relationship, but the radio has played that darn song so much that I cannot even stand to listen to it anymore.

We chose "Loving You Tonight" because it's not well known, but it plays fairly regularly on xm station the coffee house and we realized that every time we heard it, we would drop what we were doing and dance in the living room.

The Ray LaMontagne song is absolutely beautiful though. Probably my favorite of the 3 you listed off :).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're dancing to "Rose of my Heart" by Johnny Cash, because we both love Johnny Cash and I don't think anyone will expect it. It's a beautiful song.
    March 2012 Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon - Undecided (NYC or DC)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i think we are going to do home by edward sharpe and the magnetic zeros.  it's kind of fast paced at times, so we are looking into to taking dance lessons so we don't look like complete idiots out there. 

best wishes!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think our first dance will be Smashing Pumpkin's "Tonight Tonight!"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    still deciding:

feels like home- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7EI5tdaX4

or cant help falling in love- elvis

also have a full on playlist of love songs i love:
    http://www.playlist.com/playlist/21602635787

only some of them have been decided what they will be played for and i wrote that in the description.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we're doing Brandon Heath Love Never Fails!
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We are doing Michael Buble "Sway". 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Dchacha413Dchacha413 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Were using High tide or low tide by bob marley
  • Options
    leah2489leah2489 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alicia Keys has a few songs that would be good to use, such as No One, Unthinkable, If I Ain't Got You.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_unique-first-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:8bc4437d-1426-4e07-9c4f-7c153728183fPost:8a152001-ac35-4604-bc90-80d3b263a7cd">Unique first dance song</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are having a hard time picking our first dance song.  We don't have any songs that are particularly special to us...and we definitely do not want to dance to something that has been overused.  We're thinking of <strong>Ray LaMontagne "You are the best thing,"</strong> <strong>DMB "You and me"</strong> or Jason Mraz "Lucky" If anyone has any acoustic songs similar to these or unique song ideas let me know! All ideas are appreciated! :)
    Posted by AnneM19[/QUOTE]

LOVE both of these!!  I was actually thinking of using the Ray LaMontagne song when we walk back down the aisle together because it's fun & upbeat. Well, either there or for our entrance/first dance -- I can't decide!  In any case, I think either of those would be great.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going to dance to "Keeper of the Stars" by Tracy Byrd.  We really wanted a unique song too and this song fits our relationship really well.

Best of luck to you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mpatt2122mpatt2122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Lady Antebellum- When You Got A Good Thing.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    HandBananaHandBanana member
    edited December 2011
    We went old school R&B.  In some of the pictures you can see guests dancing along with us durring our first dance.

"Let's Stay Together" by Al Green
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    beekaboo43beekaboo43 member
    edited December 2011
    I LOOOVE "You are the Best Thing"...I  thought about using that as our recessional also.  we're dancing to "The hazards of love (the drowned) by the decemberists.  our last song of the night could be a good first dance choice too..."it's only time " by the magnetic fields
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards