California-Los Angeles

Shutters on the Beach -- Info needed please

Hello all -- mother of the bride here! DD is moving to Santa Monica with her FH and she wants a beach wedding.

We are exploring all options, but she has already fallen in love with Shutters on the Beach. Can anyone tell me about their experiences there? And if you can, could you tell me how much I could expect to spend, roughly? We think the guest list will be 50 - 75 ppl.

Thanks so much!

Sylvia

Re: Shutters on the Beach -- Info needed please

• edited December 2011
    Shutters is a fabulous property and they take good care of their brides.  Don't get sticker shock if they quote you a price of $150-200++ per person or more for the wedding. 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    It's very nice!  I've only heard great things about it!!
    NewportLightPhotography.com
  • PennsylPennsyl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info. Is that fee just for the reception or does that include the ceremony fee too?

Can they set up a wedding on the beach? I've visited the website and the info is a little vague?

Thanks again!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it depends on the package you select or create, the size of your party and the day of the week/time of your event.  They do have the ability to do ceremonies on the beach.  There may be some permitting fees associated, but they will handle all of that for you.  
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    If you go to their website you can actually find their pricing packages available in PDF format. Their pricing is ridiculously good for what you're getting - $180 and up per person inclusive of service and tax. I looked at ballrooms all around the LA area and ended up booking with Casa del Mar (their sister hotel next door). If you are looking for a high-end ballroom, you just can't beat Shutters or Casa del Mar.

Since you have 75 or fewer guests, I'm not sure if they have a room minimum though - that is something you would have to check with them on. Do you have a rep there? I worked with Toby and he is fabulous.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and I believe the fee includes the ceremony. Shutters has a gorgeous ceremony space overlooking the ocean.
  • PennsylPennsyl member
    edited December 2011
    thanks LeC -- good info!
  • edited December 2011
    I am having my reception there this weekend with 50 people in the Oceanside and Beachside roooms... 75 would be the MAX for those rooms but I prefer them over the ball rooms because the ballrooms have no view. We are paying $160 per person for the lunch price which includes cake, valet, rentals, open bar, etc. Seems like a crazy price but compared to others in Santa Monica it is pretty good. That was the price we locked in 6 months ago with a package... may not be having the same pckage now. But I know it was like $210 per person for dinner price and $250 per person for Saturday dinner price! The ceremony would also be included for that price in the pool area or on the beach but if you are having a ceremony they require you to hire a separete coordonator. My Shutters coordinater isn't very good.. not proactive about telling me things, etc. I can give you more details on things if you send me a provate message but I wont be able to get back to you right away since I'll be on my honeymoon for the next couple of weeks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • PennsylPennsyl member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Alexis - I did send you a PM.

Good Luck!
  • tlenttlent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sylvia,
    Toby here from Shutters on the Beach and Hotel Casa Del Mar.
    I will be happy to help you and to answer all of your questions.
    Our wedding package for luncheons start at $180.00 per person (all inclusive) and our dinners start at $210.00.
    You can have your ceremony on the beach if you like.  Again, please contact me directly in the office at 310-587-1705 I would love to discuss all of the options with you.
    Best regards,
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't get the chance to work with Toby for our wedding at Shutters and I have to say the process was pretty stressful. Getting answers to simple questions was like pulling teeth. They are very hands-off despite the hefty price and require you to hire a coordinator as well. At the end my guests had a great time and the setting was lovely but there were serious screw ups on my menu even though I spoke to the chef personally and my order was detailed. It's like it was thrown out the window on the day-of. Not sure if I would go with them if I could do it all again.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards