Washington-Seattle
Options

Wedding Invites, what goes in & wording

I am curious what you all are putting into your invites...
We were thinking:
The invite
RSVP post card
Directions
Registries

And instead of doing a reception card, what do you think about just incl. that the reception will follow @ the venue... is that too informal??

Plus, we want to have a antique framed chalk board @ the venue that has the layout of the evening. Is that too late of notice?

What is your wording on your invites? Are you doing something standard, or are you adding a twist to it?

Re: Wedding Invites, what goes in & wording

• Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think putting reception to follow on invite is fine if its at the same location.  If its at another location, I think tradition is you put a separate card.  But, IMO, you can do whatever you want.  And you're not supposed to include registries.

I plan to do a very simple invitation w/ a reply card and nothing else.  But, we're doing everything pretty simple and informal. 

I like the idea of the framed chalkboard.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Where do the registy cards go then? (I'm talking about the card that says "we're registered @ ....") I've gotten those inside invites before, at least I thought I had...

And the recep is at the same place as the ceremony.
    thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We put the invite, directions, and rsvp card. I didn't even type reception to follow. It is in the same location, I think most people assume. Picture is in my bio.

Typically it is considered poor etiquette to include those registry cards in the invites (I have gotten them before too, I don't hold it against people, but it just seems tacky to me). You can just recycle them. If you really want to use them you can put them in shower invites, because the whole point of a shower is to shower the bride with gifts. A better place to put registry info is on your wedding web site and most of the time it just spreads through word of mouth any way. 
    imageimageimage
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
    Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
    Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never received an invite without those little registry cards. I only learned on tk that it is improper etiquette to include them. I think whatever is normal for your circle is acceptable. I am still not sure if we'll include our registry information but my family and friends wouldn't think it was rude. My family would probably not bring gifts if they didn't know where to get them from... again, whatever is the norm in your circle is what you should do.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would be embarassed to put those cards in, because I'd feel gift-grabby.  But like PP said, a GOOD place for them (if you want to use them) is with shower invites.  If someone other than you is hosting the event, they're allowed to tell people to buy you gifts, haha!  When I was hosting a shower, I just put "the bride is registered at:" right on the invite.
    For our wording, I have a pic in my bio (but I don't know if you can read the words, hmm...).  We are including a map/directions card, rsvp, and a "details" card, which has our website info on it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Not everyone is invited to the shower... how do people find out where to shop at? Also, i'd say about 1/3 of my invites don't even own computers. I know it's really hard to imagine! But we have a lot of older family members & they don't know how to go to our wedding website. :( I'm not really worried about the registry stuff though.
    I'm more worried about what all goes in tot he invite (which you all have answered:)) & the wording.

Thanks ladies!

• Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is fine to put reception information at the bottom of your invitation. Usually if it's at a separate location there's a separate card, but you don't *have* to have it.

Do not include registry information with your invites. As pps said, it's a big etiquette no no. Registry cards are simply for the store's benefit, not yours. They give them to you to make more money, regardless of whether it's rude or not. Whoever hosts your shower, however, may put them with the shower invites.

[QUOTE]Not everyone is invited to the shower... how do people find out where to shop at? Posted by angstocker22[/QUOTE]

They'll ask your family or BMs. The word will get around. Trust me, we didn't include any registry information with my eparty invites, and magically we got TONS of gifts off our registry. (I didn't include them in our wedding invites either, but people only give cash as wedding gifts in my area, so that's a moot point anyway.)
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_wedding-invites-goes-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:104Discussion:aaa07c6f-398f-459a-acca-47ed42ec7dbbPost:b20f4aa4-265a-4d5f-a84f-591821243651">Wedding Invites, what goes in & wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]Plus, we want to have a antique framed chalk board @ the venue that has the layout of the evening. Is that too late of notice?
    Posted by angstocker22[/QUOTE]

I don't understand what this means. Too late notice for what?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh I was referring to the recep being in the same place as the ceremony if we didn't put it on the invites. I didn't know that if we didn't mention it, it was automatically assumed it was in the same place. Makes sense now, so nevermind :)
  • Options
    dreamwindsdreamwinds member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're doing a reply card, include a stamped envelope and/or an email address where people can RSVP at instead. :)

Also something you might want to include/imply somehow somewhere is how formal attire your wedding is. There've been a lot of invitations I've gotten that I've had to ask and ask and ask various people as to the level of formality in attire. No one wants to over dress and no one wants to under dress.
    imageLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    good point PP. I think it's weird when people assume it's ok to wear jeans to a wedding! lol

We are going to do RSVP postcards instead of wasting more paper & money on envelopes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards