Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invite/Money tree/HELP!

Is there proper wording or something I can send out in my invitations to let my guests know we'll be having a money tree at the ceremony instead of traditional gifts?  My fiancee and I have lived together for a few years and have gathered pretty much everything we need.  We feel a money tree would better suit us, but I don't want to invite my guests and tell them they have to bring cash!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Re: Invite/Money tree/HELP!

• You didn't have to be so rude yourselves about it.

• if you feel that you have everything you need, then why do u need cash? just say nothing and see what you get. asking for cash and having a money tree is so incredibly rude.
    Photobucket
  • Putting registry/ gift info on an invite is rude and tacky. Money trees are even ruder and tackier. Don't do it.
  • Oh my gosh how do I delete this effing post?!  That will be the most help I get here.
  • Why do you want to delete it?  We gave you honest advice.  This isn't appropriate in the invitation at all.

• Why would you delete it? It's been quoted, it will still be here.
    Do you really think a money tree is ok?
  • I honestly had no idea people would be so offened about it.  How is it any different than putting money in a card?  My particular idea didn't involve just pinning or clipping money randomly to a tree for everybody to see.  I've seen it done before at weddings and nobody was bothered by it.
    Thanks anyways for the advice, though in my personal opinion could have been worded a little less harsh.  But whatever, it's here, it's been read and I hope everybody has a great day.

Still any info on deleting this whole thread (excuse me for saying post ealier) would still be helpful.  I don't feel as if it will be useful to anyone.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invitemoney-treehelp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:96a2770b-5338-4ed1-ac21-c9ee0de79a4fPost:f627a706-a8e7-4b76-bd88-71a96ba2f556">Re: Invite/Money tree/HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I honestly had no idea people would be so offened about it.  How is it any different than putting money in a card?  My particular idea didn't involve just pinning or clipping money randomly to a tree for everybody to see.  I've seen it done before at weddings and nobody was bothered by it. Thanks anyways for the advice, though in my personal opinion could have been worded a little less harsh.  But whatever, it's here, it's been read and I hope everybody has a great day. Still any info on deleting this whole thread (excuse me for saying post ealier) would still be helpful.  I don't feel as if it will be useful to anyone.
    Posted by jilly_filly[/QUOTE]
    You can't delete the thread.

It's entirely different than putting money in a card for someone.
    When I put money in a card for someone it its my choice to give them money instead of a gift. When you have a money tree you basically eliminate the choice, you are clearly stating what you want which is rude.
  • there isn't any nice way to say it. generally, you don't put anything about gifts becasue you don't want to invite some one to your wedding and let them know you expect gifts. If people don't see a place to buy gifts from, they will generally give money. Also, if your fam and friends are comfortable, they can spread the idea by word of mouth..
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Just something to think about OP..If it was nice and acceptable to do a money tree or ask for cash don't you think you would be able to figure out the proper way to put it on an invite? You said it yourself, you didn't want to have to tell your guests they should bring cash, that right there should be some indication that since what you are basically doing is saying 'give me cash' that you just shouldn't do it?

What would you think if someone came up to you and said to your face, 'Hey i'm getting married give me 30 dollars' you would think they are nuts and very rude, well thats basically what your doing with your invite.

How is doing a money tree any different then saying hey give me cash because i'm getting married?

Oh and no one is obligated to get you anything, they do it because they care about you and want to help you start out your new life. They are all adults who are fully capible of making their own desicions about what to get you, just don't registar if you don't need anything.

Oh and BTW telling you that something is rude and socially unacceptable isn't rude it's honest. You asked if there was a proper way to do it and these ladies told you no there isn't a proper way because it's rude to ask for cash or do something equal to that such as a money tree (which does have a certain trailer trash ring to it) see now that was rude :P sorry you get no validation, no rainbows and puppy dogs, the truth is harsh

• You sure put my in my place.

• Jenni- I like you. Come to E

OP- No one is trying to put you in your place. You asked for help, you got it.
  • Jenni.AdamsJenni.Adams member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    Lol thanks. I've been lurking on E, and I like you guys too.

OP I wasn't trying to put you in your place just giving you some advice. I'd rather do it then have your great aunt so and so tell your great uncle that she can't believe you did something so klassy at your wedding and both give you the side eye and judge you

ETA: Also even if you manage to delete your posts the thread will still exist and whenever I see a delete, or a nevermind etc I always go to see what caused the beebee to run away crying because someone gave her real advice and it wasn't what she wanted to hear
  • I like you Jenni.
    planning

• I wish I could help. This might be too late. There are website out there that you can register your wedding wishes  for cash. Just google wedding registry for cash and plenty to choose ;). As simple answer as that....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards