Getting in Shape

Thoughts on ... Piloxing

There's a new class being offered the end of March - Piloxing. It's supposed to be a mixture of pilates, boxing and dance.

Has anyone done this? Thoughts???

I'm usually anti-class, but I did enjoy my MMA and like the idea of ballet style strengthening moves.

Looking for a voice of experience...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Thoughts on ... Piloxing

• Yes, I have done it. It's a super easy certification to get so it can totally depend on how much effort the instructor puts into her/his class. 

My old gym's piloxing instructor was also a personal trainer so she was great with her form and moves, although she definitely liked to look "cute"  so she half-assed the moves herself so she wouldn't sweat as much. (oi) 

I would give it a try. It's not MY favorite things, the it can be a fun work out. It didn't get the job done for me, but I know both girls AND guys that walked out of the class whining. It never hurts to mix up your routine and challenge the muscle memory.
  • See, that's my fear, FTL. I tried a cardio kickboxing class a while back, and it was far too cutsey for me. I like my workouts mean - lol.

Something to think about.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah. I'm the same. 
    That's why Zumba is.. um... yeahnope. 

• I think you should try it! Worst case scenario - it's silly, and you don't go back again! But I agree with ftl that it will probably depend on the instructor, and that wil determine how hard of cutesy the class is.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just youtubed piloxing and I don't know.... maybe it's just the barbie-esque instructor that rubbed me the wrong way, but I don't know. I just don't see the point of the weirder and weirder hybrid workouts. Do kickboxing. Do the barre workout. Fine. But are you really getting the full effect from each discipline by splicing thm together? 

Not trying to discourage you, jenny, I guess I'm just ranting about the increasing tide of people who bend over backwards to create new fitness fads. 

Also, as an Irish dancer, I never even realized how ridiculous Zumba is until I saw one of their "Irish dance inspired" routines.... oy vey. It made me cringe. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_thoughts-on-piloxing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:f0291b5c-92be-4091-92ff-d5c70f63e071Post:d2de7c8f-81fb-4da0-bcaa-c0b3c4bd2eb9">Re: Thoughts on ... Piloxing</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just youtubed piloxing and I don't know.... maybe it's just the barbie-esque instructor that rubbed me the wrong way, but I don't know. I just don't see the point of the weirder and weirder hybrid workouts. Do kickboxing. Do the barre workout. Fine. But are you really getting the full effect from each discipline by splicing thm together?  Not trying to discourage you, jenny, I guess I'm just ranting about the increasing tide of people who bend over backwards to create new fitness fads.  Also, as an Irish dancer, I never even realized how ridiculous Zumba is until I saw one of their "Irish dance inspired" routines.... oy vey. It made me cringe. 
    Posted by unchatenfrance[/QUOTE]

This is kind of what I was thinking. I looked up the clips too, and I've been trying to get on board with hybrid exercises - some work and some don't.

I can't even attempt zumba. I think it's awesome that people love it, but I know it isn't me.

It's not at a gym exactly... There's a person teaching it in the gym of one of the local schools. The first class is free.

IDK, as someone who typically prefers to work out alone, it's not looking like my scene. Now if it was straight up kickboxing or MMA, I'd be all over that.

(Suddenly I'm feeling that I sound violent ...)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you should try it out. If the first class is free, then there's no harm in going! So, you might come out of it thinking "that's so not me" but at least you will know that instead of wondering about it more? Especially if someone comes to work raving about it and you decided not to give it a try when it was free? Just a thought!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I vote for try it! It's just one time, it's free, and you're curious. There's only 3 outcomes here, and none are bad:
    1. You love it and join and have a great time!
    2. You think it is "eh" and you never have to think about it again.
    3. You find out it is stupid and you can advise others against it (or advise newcomers to it if it's just too easy)

I'm a big tryer! I've probably tried everything at my gym from Senior Citizen Zumba (accidentally!) to a true heavy weight-lifting class (not Body Pump). There are so many I'd never do again, some that I'd do only if I'm tired, and some that I love and incorporate into my weekly routine.

Try it and tell us all about it!
  • edited February 2013
    Stage, I 100000% to the power of 3 agree with you. I loooove all forms of dance. But *actual* dance. I want to learn how to do a batucada properly, not half-ass it in Zumba. If I just want to shake my booty to music, I can do that in my own apartment to my own music on my own time.

The Irish dancing zumba really bugs me. Why not just learn some of the basic Irish dance steps like sevens and hop-2-3s instead of hopping around from one foot to another like a leprechaun gif? What's that? You can't do hop-2-3s for 15 minutes with no break? Oh that's right, because you're not supposed to! Because actual Irish dancing is HARD and interval-based. That's my basic issue with Zumba: "Let's strip all dance forms of technique and meaning and parody them!" I'm all for getting people moving in any way but ugh. Just no.

/end of Zumba rant
  • lol - and I thought I was the only one who thought zumba was silly ... DD dances and DS took Irish dancing for a few years when he was younger. That stuff is HARD! I'd love to be a dancer. You're right Stage, they [dancers] are in incredible shape and work very hard at it. I'd love to do a dance class myself, but again, there are none for adults up here.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • oh lordy.. don't even get me started on why I think Zumba is no-good-very-bad-horrible for you... *shudder* 

Sooooo verdict, jenny? 
  • Meh - the class isn't for a few weeks. IDK, it's probably not my cup of tea, but I'll see what that week brings and what my schedule is like. If I happen to have that evening free, I might just check it out and let you know what it's all about.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards