Plus-Sized

flower vendors red flags?

so i meet with my first flower vendor i think she was at one of the bridal shows i attended in my state a few days ago she has a private studio so we met in a public place. she showed me some of her work i was really impressed loved the flower designs she did and so forth. i came home very excited i went over the stuff with my mom as i still live at home and she said wait the women did not take you to her stuido. i said she works from home so its not really a shop. i got a paper with faqs she will be emailing me  with a quote once she gets it for me and so forth.. my dad says to me does her business card have an adress and i said no no address no po box he said thats a major red flag. ( my dad use to be a wedding photographer) he said she could be a fly by night person. has anyone dealt with flower vendors who work out of there own house??? i am on a strict budget and alot of the florist i have called in the area are supper expensive. i am thinking of calling one of the local grocery store chains as they do flowers

has anyone gone with grocery store flowers were they good bad?

anyone dealth witha private owned florist out of the house good bad?

regular florist good or bad.?

Re: flower vendors red flags?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_flower-vendors-red-flags?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:3e133b69-6dbd-47d1-8312-630ac6f835aePost:7cb005bb-4eb6-48aa-a039-ffdf9423f759">flower vendors red flags?</a>:
    [QUOTE]so i meet with my first flower vendor i think she was at one of the bridal shows i attended in my state a few days ago she has a private studio so we met in a public place. she showed me some of her work i was really impressed loved the flower designs she did and so forth. i came home very excited i went over the stuff with my mom as i still live at home and she said wait the women did not take you to her stuido. i said she works from home so its not really a shop. i got a paper with faqs she will be emailing me  with a quote once she gets it for me and so forth.. my dad says to me does her business card have an adress and i said no no address no po box he said thats a major red flag. ( my dad use to be a wedding photographer) he said she could be a fly by night person. has anyone dealt with flower vendors who work out of there own house??? i am on a strict budget and alot of the florist i have called in the area are supper expensive. i am thinking of calling one of the local grocery store chains as they do flowers has anyone gone with grocery store flowers were they good bad? anyone dealth witha private owned florist out of the house good bad? regular florist good or bad.?
    Posted by hyechica81[/QUOTE]

I do know plenty of florists and actually, wedding cake designers that work out of their home. So, I wouldn't discount this vendor for that reason only.  But, I would take extra precautions.  Ask for references. 
  • Interesting. Does your dad work out of his house? Many self-employed people do. It's not a red flag. Look at her portfolio and check her references. See if you can watch her put something together next time she has an event.
  • My florist has a studio in a barn next to her home and we met there.  In your case, I would be cautious and ask for references.  Most people, even when they work out of their home, will give you a "business" address.  Google her, check her out on Wedding Wire, go on your local Knot board and hopefully you'll be able to find somebody who has done business with her before.
    *** September 2013 Siggy Challenge: Hair Inspiration ***
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have met with three vendors who worked out of their homes so far.  We  meet a  musician in a barn behind his house, where he keeps his instruments and has a studio.  He gave his address very willingly, it's even on his website.  We meet with a photographer who provided their address after we had back and forthed e-mails.  The lady and her husband are in business together - both are professional photographers - and not only did we meet in their house, but we know they have children who live there too.  Again, we got the address after the e-mails.  I even remember saying to my fiance how I was a little surprised they felt comfortable to set these meetings up, because their young children were there.  And - we met our officiant and her husband at their house.  It would be a red flag for me if this florist did not have SOME kind of address.  Even a homeless person can get a P.O. Box - and it's an indicator of someone who is a true professional that she would provide one.  Suppose you want to send her a contract with a signature?  Does she want to drive to meet you to collect it?  E-mailing a signed document is a bit iffy IMHO.  Good luck!
  • If you're still considering her after all the above suggestions, I still think you could ask to see some of her event work while she was doing it. I met my DJ in a public place.
  • the strange part is she takes payments via paypall most people have the car readers for that reason or they take cash or checks.. i do a side business for cupcakes cake pops and candy buffets  out of my house i have my city that i live in but not my address i do deliverys but if anyone asks i give it out to them as well as refrences for them to check out.. i have decided to look over her quote but to persue and look at other vendors for flowers...

its hard when u are on such a tight budget that everything money wise has to be counted to the dollars and cents. i want smilple flowers that will pop out but ones that are not going to cost me thousands of dollars. i am also saving money on centerpeices  as the venue i booked with has flowers included in the package deal we got 
  • You mentioned grocery store flowers.  I have two friends that went this route and loved them.  But you need to do your research.  Not every florist in the chain of grocery stores is equally as talented or has done as many weddings.  When you talk with the grocery store florists, ask them how many weddings they have done.  Some may do them on a regular basis, some may not.
  • My florist worked out of his home. His business cards noted a website, phone number, and full name. Monthly payments were made via paypal and I ended up saving a lot of money.

Did she refuse to provide a valid address or P.O. Box?

My florist had 30+ years experience but made the decision to work from home after realizing he could save money by closing his shop. When you have a store, there's employees, taxes, overhead etc. to pay so he decided to save the money and extend the savings to the clients.

My main flowers were Hydrangeas and Asiatic lillies, every other florist was quoting me over $1000K and giving me less than the florist I hired for less than $700.
  • Ask for an address or p.o. box, and if she wont give you one or let you visit her studio then to me that would be a red flag. Weddings are expensive and you have to be careful with money. As far as grocery store flowers I don't know anyone that has used them but I know the Harris Teeter in my area does them I just don't know how good they are. My budget is so tight that me and some very helpful, creative friends will be doing the DIY route and will be using silk flowers for the décor and centerpieces and looking into whether to use fresh or silk flowers for the my bridesmaids and my flowers. Good Luck!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards