Indiana

Evansville Ceremony/Reception Locations

We don't plan on having our ceremony in a church, so that really narrows down our list of locations. I haven't really found a good place to have the ceremony that can fit around 200 people unless it's at the same place as the reception.

So far my short list are the following for a (hopefully) October wedding:
  • Kingmen's (New facility, but the area outside near the gazebo is kind of small and I'm not sure if it was comfortably fit 200 people. It's also right next to 57.)
  • Discovery Lodge - Would be my top choice, but it's expensive and very popular. It's twice as expensive as my other options and I'm afraid it might already be booked since October is a busy time of year
  • Kokies - haven't seen it in person, but I hear there is a nice spot outside for the ceremony.
  • West Haven Chalet - the outdoor area for the ceremony looks nice, but it looks dated inside judging from the pics
Does anyone from the area have any opinions on these? Or do you know of any nice indoor/outdoor non-church spaces we could have the ceremony?

I'll be traveling from out of town to check out and hopefully book my venue, so I'd like to have a good idea of where to go since I'll probably only have one day.

Re: Evansville Ceremony/Reception Locations

• edited December 2011

Hi there!  Kingmen's looks very nice from a drive by.  I have not been inside there.  As far as the other three, I have been to all of them.  I am in LOVE with Discovery Lodge.  We are having our reception there but I have known several couples to haev both their wedding and reception there since it is so big.  Kokie's would be my next choice.  I have been to several weddings there and all have been very pretty.  My last choice would be West Haven.  The reason being that the wedding we attended was in August and they packed the place.  It was not quite as nice as Kokie's and nowhere near Discovery.  I do know the price is dramatically different for a Sunday if you are open to that option of having a Sunday wedding.  (Just a suggestion-people have done it!) 

How many people are you planning on having?

• Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!!

Right now I would guess around 200, however I haven't received the list from FI's side yet. I would hope no more than 250.

My first choice is Discovery Lodge, but it's more expensive and I'm afraid it will already be booked when I can get to Evansville since it's so popular. It's one of those things where I'll have to decide if the price difference is worth the beautiful scereny or if one of the other places is pretty as well for cheaper.

Is the outside area at Kokie's nice? I haven't been able to find many pictures of it online. I hear their fried chicken is the way to go. I did read online you need at least 200 to book, but I"m not sure if that means 200 invited or 200 confirmed. I don't think we'll have a problem inviting 200 people, but having 200 say yes might be a different story.

I was originally set on Kingmen's, but after seeing the outdoor area where the ceremony would take place, I had my doubts. It would be really nice for a reception, but I"m not sure about having the ceremony there as well.

West Haven was going to be my last resort. I don't know how I feel about "rustic German decor" as they say on their website. That translates to tacky 80's decor to me. :)
  • edited December 2011
    A friend of mine just got married at the Kingsmen even facility, and honestly, I thought it was a tad on the small side inside!  We had long banquet tables to sit at and we were back to back with the person behind us that we basically had to sit the entire time! 

I haven't seen the other places in person, but I am getting married in New Harmony at the Rapp Owen Granary... if you haven't checked out any places in New Harmony, I would... its only 35 minutes from Evansville and its beautiful there!
  • edited December 2011
    I can check out the outside of Kokie's and let you know.  It's not too far from my apartment.  Discovery lodge would tell you right away if they have any openings for October if you just give them a call--812-435-5602.  

Kingsmen has a very poor outside setting for a ceremony.  So, sounds like Kokie's or Discovery Lodge.  And yes, their fried chicken is AMAZING at Kokie's.  They are actually catering our reception at Discovery Lodge.  They have been really nice to us in discussing our menu and what we would like to have.  I think Karen is the lady's name who is their event coordinator and she's very helpful.

edited December 2011
    That would be awesome thanks!!

Kokie's catered my friend's wedding a few weeks ago and it was good. She had the baked chicken though and I think wished she had ordered the fried chicken.

New Harmony sounds awesome, but I always worry about my guests driving so far. We have some drinkers in our group that don't have the best common sense. :)
  • edited December 2011

Birdie-sent you a private message! 

edited December 2011
    Thanks! I did remember one other location I've heard of was having a lake ceremony at the 4H fairgrounds. However, I can't visualize the lake. I've been to receptions there, but no weddings.

I think after I have this figured out the rest will be smooth sailing. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Have you looked at the bauerhaus? I am having my wedding/reception there.  They do all the services such as the cake, dj, food, ect.
    edited December 2011
    I have but they were really out of my price range. I'm really really leaning towards Discovery Lodge. It looks to be the best bet and the prettiest for a combined ceremony/reception.
  • enginerdlisaenginerdlisa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going with Discovery lodge, but our second and third choices were Cambridge golf course, and Bauerhaus.  I've heard that the old courthouse is nice, I don't know how big it is or what it costs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married in a church, but only because we ended up going with a November date. We are having the reception at Bishea house at Burdette park. We're inviting 212 people, ad Bishea holds 250, and it's only $500. We're also renting a couple of the cabins for the weekend. I LOVED the Discovery Lodge, but it was too big and too expensive for us. We were planning on just getting married outside somewhere in the park. Anyway, Kokies is gorgeous, but when we went to look at it I noticed that the land is kind of hilly, and it looks like it would be hard to set up for a larger ceremony outside. Inside is beautiful though. I likes West Haven, and they are pretty reasonable price-wise, but you're right, it is a bit dated inside. It's got pretty lights strung all around inside though, and it's nice and rustic. I haven't seen a lot of other places in person, but there are nice golf course country club places like Clearcrest pines and Quail Crossing. Also, just an idea, but I really liked Kirby's for the reception, but they didn't have any outdoor space. We thought about using the roof of the Pagoda for the ceremony because they're just down the road.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys! We ended up going with Discovery Lodge for next November. That was  the EARLIEST they had open. It's crazy! I had looked into places like the Pagoda and the Old Courthouse, but they weren't large enough for us.
  • This is way late but I am starting to look into the discovery lodge and I was wondering if you could tell me if the chairs/tables are included? Also, can I have both an indoor reception and wedding there? If so, how did you go about seperating the space if it is not already? Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards