Students

Anyone currently applying to law school?

I'm finally starting to get responses on my law school apps and I'm actually getting waitlisted at a lot of schools that I considered target schools. I'm hearing from friends that waitlisting is pretty commonplace in the law school admissions process - just wondering if any of you are currently in this situation, or were in it?

I'm hoping to get final decisions before I need to start sending deposits to reserve my seats at other schools, or accept scholarship money - it's stressing me out a bit not knowing where we'll be living next year, too. 

Any tips, or info?

Re: Anyone currently applying to law school?

• It's early yet!  When I was applying to law schools, most didn't require a final deposit until April or May.  I didn't get waitlisted, but I was negotiating financial aid pretty much right up to the deadlines.  I know it's stressful- I like to have everything planned out way in advance myself, but the process is pretty slow.

I know at my school, the admisions office also did interviews on top of the standard application for waitlisted students- do you have to do any of that?
  • I'm in my second year of law school ... let me know if you have any questions :)
  • Oh -- and send a "letter of continued interest" ("LOCI") to your top choice(s) that you're waitlisted at...it definately helps!
  • Completely agree on the LOCI- that's great advice!
  • I was debating whether or not to send a LOCI - I'll definitely get one out.

Thanks!
  • I'm currently in my second year of law school as well. I got waitlisted at two out of the ten schools, but I sent out my applications fairly late. The LOCI is a great idea and if you can manage it, a school visit and tour might be helpful too. Talking with people in the admissions department during a tour helps them put a face to the name and might help your chances when it comes down to who to admit off the list.

Good luck! I hope you get into a school you love! Smile
  • I'm currently in my second year of law school as well. I got waitlisted at two out of the ten schools, but I sent out my applications fairly late. The LOCI is a great idea and if you can manage it, a school visit and tour might be helpful too. Talking with people in the admissions department during a tour helps them put a face to the name and might help your chances when it comes down to who to admit off the list.

Good luck! I hope you get into a school you love! Smile
  • I've currently graduated law school. Frankly, the job market and the scholarship money mean a lot. Law school is the most expensive thing you will spend money on, especially if you do not get a scholarship. Quite a few schools ban working during 1L year (first year).

You should look at the requirements for a scholarship. Also, if it gets closer, and you have a high LSAT or GPA you might try negotiating a scholarship. These make a school look better in the rankings. Scholarships may also be GPA dependent.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions about the job market. I am more knowledeable about Central California, Ohio and Indiana job markets though.
  • amw0516amw0516 member
    First Comment
    I am graduating from law school this month.  I got waitlisted to one school and got in to the other school I applied.  I didn't have to deal with the waitlisted school because I really didn't want to go there and got into my top option school.

The job market sucks right now and Titus is right loans are HORRIBLE.  I am marrying a law student so debt is going to suck!

Go in a meet with people at the schools you want in sometimes that helps.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards