Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Organ?

Have any of you been to a wedding with an organ? The church I am getting married at has one, but I am worried it might be too formal or not "pretty". Any opinions?
Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest my read shelf:
Kristin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Organ?

• Options
    phillychica85phillychica85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you heard the organ being played before? Is it kept in good condition? What is the size of it? The reason I asked those things is that so much can matter on the type/size of the organ not to mention the person playing it.

My cousin had her wedding at her local chuch-the organ was resonant of the church. Small, not a lot of "umpf." Not to mention, the organist was TERRIBLE! She made many noticeable mistakes when playing. (On a side note, my aunt, the bride's mother is a professional organist herself). But I got married at a gothic style cathedral which has a massive and gorgeous sounding pipe organ. The music was probably one of my favorite parts of the ceremony.

I don't think organ music is ever too formal. I do know what you mean about it not being pretty (an eighty year old playing songs in a dreadully slow fashion), but I feel that has more to do with the person playing it, and the condition of the organ itself. If you feel the organ itself is good, but want a top knotch person to play it, I'd look into hiring an organist. There are enough good ones out there that can really make your day.

HTH!
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The church in which we got married had one, however, it was a gothic style Catholic church, so the organ was in the choir loft, which no guest could see by just glancing up there. I don't think I would be worried about what it looks like, but rather the sound that comes out of it. You can always talk to your photographer ahead of time or have him/her edit the pics if you don't want the organ in your pics.
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "Too formal or not 'pretty'" - do you mean in regards to the sound of the organ or the look of the organ?

Is there also a piano?  Our church has both an organ and a piano and we will have some music on the piano and some on the organ as appropriate.  Also if it is a big church the sound from the organ will carry better than the piano, particularly if the church is full with lots of people singing hymns.

Go to a church service there and see how it sounds/looks.  And talk to the pastor to see if people usually use the organ or the piano, and talk to the organist to see what kind of music he/she generally plays to see if it suits what you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards