Kentucky-Louisville

Recommended Jeweler?

We're both fairly new to Louisville so we don't know too many businesses around here. I'd be set in my home town, but that's not very practical. Are there any jewelers that you guys would recommend? Or have had bad experiences with??

Re: Recommended Jeweler?

• squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My e-ring and wedding band are from Bluenile.com.  The only thing we've dealt with local stores on is cleanings. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    What type of jewelry are you looking for?  For the engagement ring, my FI went to Shane's.  For our wedding bands we got them at a random store at the mall and for my wedding jewelry I searched etsy.com.
  • FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Squirrly - my ering is from Bluenile too!  FI found them and said they are a great company to work with.  I think we're going to get our wedding bands from them too. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine is a set, so the band and e-ring match.  I love Bluenile - and their jewelry always appraises for more than they charge.  AND I think H found a 10% or 20% coupon.  I know a few people who have rings from there, plus a bunch of knotties, and I've only heard good experiences. 

I do need to take my e-ring and get the white gold re-plated.  I've worn it enough that it shows on the bottom of the shank.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well here is when my little confession comes into play.

Backstory, we've been together for 3.5 years and living together for 2 (I moved here to be with him - we were long distance before that). For a long time now we've known we were going to get married and have said "oh that would be a great place to get married" or "hey this would be awesome." He's said these things as well as I have so we're on the same page. We just haven't actually gotten engaged with a ring yet because he wanted to pay for the ring with cash and we had other things that had to be taken care of first like buying a house and all of the expenses that come with that. Once he got the major things taken care of he was able to start saving.

Well a couple weeks ago before we went on vacation he asked me if I wanted to go with him to look at engagement rings and make the decision together. He's an architect and very structured in his thinking. :) We've been trying to find a day this week to go somewhere but we didn't know where to go.

I swear I'm not a BSC girl! I've just been researching venues and expenses and stuff this week while I had some down time at work because I like to have a game plan. I'm always afraid if I wait too long the places that I like will be booked up (especially since we have a budget - not because we don't or can't save the $$ I just can't justify spending so much on one day).

So that's my story. :) We're planning on going out on Saturday to look. We'll probably hit up Shane Co. and if we don't find anything there, I'll at least have an idea of what I like and we can look on Bluenile.com. I know it sounds so unromantic so I think I might pick out two that I like and then go to the car so he can at least surprise me a little when he formally proposes!
    edited December 2011
    Just as an update, we ended up going to Davis Jewelers after a suggestion from my friend. They were really nice to work with. We found a band that we both loved but wanted to have more diamond selection. She's ordering more in so we have more to choose from. I guess they had just sold a lot of diamonds in the carat range that we were looking at. Hopefully it works out! if not, we'll probably buy the band from there and check out Shane Co. for the diamond. I know it's untraditional for me to be there with him when he buys the ring, but we've been living together for two years now and not much is a secret anymore!
  • edited December 2011

My rings are from Bluenile, but I've taken a very important ring my parents gave me to ST. Charles Jewelers on Taylorsville Road.  They were referred by a friend, and have been around for ever.  They're an old fashioned place, but I am SO pleased with their work; they seem to be honest and are very nice.  When the man found out how important my ring was to me, after he fixed it, he put it back in a nice box and everything.  My FI asked him if they always do this, and he said, "No, but I remember she said it had a lot of sentimental value, so I wanted it to look nice."

I will continue to go there as long as I'm in the area.

edited December 2011
    We actually ended up going to Shane Co. and purchasing a ring from there. We really liked the stuff we saw at Davis, but Shane Co. seemed to have equal selection for better prices.

Bluenile looks like a great site, but I really wanted to be able to see it on my finger. I'm kind of OCD. We might consider it for his wedding band though. I'll probably end up going back to Shane for my wedding band so it can match my e-ring.
  • ZachandMereZachandMere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I absolutely LOVE Davis Jewelers!  Before we got engaged I had a few pieces from there (pearl ring, pearl/leather bracelet, etc) and they were always very nice.  When it came to diamonds though, my family had a third-generation relationship with Brown-Waterhouse-Kaiser.  BWK ended up going out of business two weeks after my FH bought a diamond there (they didn't really have any settings left), so he took the main stone to Davis.  We looked at a few settings there and everyone was personable, pleasant, and not looking to "sell" us on anything.  My FH ended up picking a setting there and they put in the main stone.  It took about 2weeks because I have a very small ring size, but I LOVE it.  I just went in yesterday to thank Erica and they are going to custom fit my ring next week (for free) by adding some minor gold on the inside of the lower part of the band.  I told Erica that even though our original diamond dealer closed, we have a new family jeweler now!  Highly recommend them to anyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards