New Jersey - South

cost of alterations at Fashion Stitch

I got my dress at Kay Bridal, and after reading all the terrible reviews about their alterations department, I'm thinking of taking my dress to Fashion Stitch instead.  I've used Yeon before, but only for the hem on a bridesmaid dress, so I'm just wondering how much alterations on a wedding dress will be... Can anyone tell me how much I should expect to pay?  The dress is about one to two sizes too big so a good amount of work has to be done... Thanks! 

Re: cost of alterations at Fashion Stitch

• coreybride127coreybride127 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went a week ago and my dress is very, very complicated, with a long train, asymmetrical hem, many layers. She actually said something like " I've been working on wedding dresses a long time, but this one is complicated!" I need 3 bustles and 3 fittings.

My alterations, which are not the norm , will be $300, and I think it was a steal. If I went to a bridal shop, it would have been double.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lmparlettlmparlett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the insight coreybride,

I am going for my first fitting with her on Thurs, and was also wondering how much she runs.  I shouldn't need that much work though.
    Photobucket Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    My dress was very intricate in terms of detail--it was all lace and beading.  I had the top taken in, the middle let out, crinoline built in, a hem, and a bustle.  It was only $275 which is a lot less expensive than a bridal salon and her work is impeccable.  You could not tell she had to remove lace and sew it back on to hem my dress.  She is amazing!
    imageAnniversary
  • marianthebmariantheb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was thinking of going to Yeon too...I bought my dress from the Bridal Garden and I heard terrible things about the alterations...is Yeon really that good? Does she sew in padded cups because my dress has a low back so a bra is out but I would like something a little more than just shoulder pads...any suggestions/feedback?

image 280 image 241 image 31 image 10 Making Us Wait
    RSVP Deadline: 10/2
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard that she is really, really good, (my florist said she's seen her do unbelievable things with dresses) and she does sew cups in.
  • kaylaruthwkaylaruthw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just went for a fitting last week at Fashion Stitch. I have an Oleg Cassini gown with pick up in the skirt and intricate beading on the bodice and a huge train. She is doing a hem, french bustle, and taking in the bodice, plus pressing and steaming the gown the week of the wedding. All for $250. I LOVE IT!

David's Bridal quoted me $400 for the same service.

She is professional and totally knows what she is doing. I definitely recommend her!

• delia5588delia5588 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for mentioning this seamstress! What great feedback. I am definitely going to contact her once my dress is in.

Question for you all. How soon before the wedding should I go in for a fitting? Is there a second fitting the week prior to the wedding? 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I needed a hem, bustle, cups, and the halter strap shortened. She did all of this for $125. My hem was a little intricate also, since there lace and beading along the very bottom of the dress.
    BabyFruit Ticker

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Stacy has read 24 books toward her goal of 35 books.
    hide
  • edited December 2011
    I just went to Yeon on Saturday for my 2nd fitting. She really does do a great job! Like others have said my dress is also tricky. It doesn't have a lot of beading but my train goes off to the side not to the back so I need a custom bustle. My dress was also on a sample sale and 2 sizes too big. I am having a few things added to it. I almost cried when I put my dress on on Saturday. She had the bustle, hem, and everything taken in. I finally got to see what my dress is really going to look like instead of having everything clamped in the back and wondering.

As far as what time to go my wedding is the 1st weekend in June and she had me go for my 1st fitting on April 2nd. I also fall into prom season so she is so booked up. I will have a total of 3 or 4 different fittings with her before I get my dress back.
  • sarahawrightsarahawright member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Yeon is doing my alterations for $260.  That includes:  sewing in padded cups, taking in the top a little, hemming the bottom, and adding a bustle.  The top of my dress is really beaded, so I think it costs a little more because it's more complicated to adjust than other styles.

In terms of timing, my wedding is June 6th, I had my first fitting about 8 weeks out, I'm having 2nd fitting about 5 weeks out (Saturday), and the 3rd one will be scheduled then, I think.

• luderi51luderi51 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i don't know if i just can't see it but i am googling fashion stitch and i can't see their website, just maps and reviews of it. i wanted to check it out to see what they were all about.

i don't want to use David's bridal for my alterations so i will definitely call them. does everyone recommend them?

thanks!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She doesn't have a website, but she is great.  I went today for my first fitting.  She is doing a hem, French bustle, taking in the skirt a bit, and moving the back panel under my lacing over a bit... $250. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards