Wedding Reception Forum
Options

looking for NON-TRADITIONAL centerpieces - no flowers or candles....

Im looking for non-traditional centerpieces, no flowers or candles...

Maybe cookie tiers? IDK - please any thoughts or suggestions?

THANKS ALL

: )

Re: looking for NON-TRADITIONAL centerpieces - no flowers or candles....

• Options
    What type of wedding are you having?  Colors?  What are you and your FI hobbies and things you like to do?  I need a bit more information to be able to give you some ideas.

But one idea that occurred to me is that you could use fruit (oranges, limes, lemons, apples) in tall glass cylinders...but of course this will all depend on your colors.

• Options
    Me and my fiancee did not want flowers.  So we are making small movie posters to put on each table as the centerpiece.  I may also have a candle or flower petals or something with the poster
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    I think the fruit in vases (lemons, apples, oranges, etc) is a cute idea. You could even do baskets of fruit if you prefer.

Otherwise, I've heard of stacks of rustic classic books, potted plants or I read of one girl created miniture wedding cakes (out of foam or some other material) which I thought was unique.
  • Options

More info: our reception is in an old historic barn.  At this point the only colors we have decided on is gold swirl overlays (on white table cloths).  Im thinking maybe jewel (navy blue, green, burgundy) tones to add to it but still up in the air.  Wedding is in July. 

thank you

• Options
    One friend did a rustic-chic wedding in a converted apple barn with long picnic style tables.  She used heavy linen tableclothes borrowed from her parents church and topped them with pint baskets alternately filled with red and green apples and yellow and white chrysanthemums (fall wedding). 

Another friend did a backyard picnic wedding.  She had traditional round tables.  Her centerpieces were steel flower pots filled with styrofoam  and topped with fake grass.  She had handmade pinwheels in her wedding colors stuck into the grass. (3 per pot).  Every time a breeze blew, the pinwheels spuns.   For this wedding the bridesmaids also carried an oversized pinwheel in lieu of a bouquet.  The bride and her friends made the pinwheels from a template downloaded and enlarged from the internet.
  • Options
    We were thinking of using fish bowls for our upcoming water themed wedding. The idea was to put sand or small rocks in the bottom of differnent sized fishbowls before adding the water and goldfish (one per). Then top with either a floating lilly or floating candle.

Also think about what old tools would be found in a rustic barn... could you make a rustic display with the metal horseshoe mold(or a branding iron in the shape of your combined initials or your wedding logo)  and some greenery(little boxes of wheat grass?) or leaves? 
    -You could make a centerpiece with, say 6-8, long-handled tools by tieing them together with rope or ribbon then standing them on end like a tee-pee frame.

A vintage (non-smelly) pair of cowboy boots (one upright the other on an angle) could work. You could hang a cowboy hat off the upright one to add more detail. 
    -Other objects you could make arrangements with: tied lasso, vintage belt and holster, bandanas, a saddle, the riding blanket that goes under the saddle, vintange whisky bottles, ornate pistols, flasks, heck even flannel shirts and chaps.
    -You could put an empty shoe box (upside-down) on the table, cover it with the riding blanket(or the flannel shirt) and have two (or more, -with more boxes) levels to play with. Put a pair of ornate pistols on the box, lean the lasso against the side of the box and set the holster in front. 

Those hand-carved wooden bears (usually sold with "welcome" signs) would be great conversation starters! You could even have signs that have the table number or "John and Jane Smith" with "Married July Nth 201N" on the signs. Or if you're using one common logo throughout your wedding have it on the signs. 

Two words: Mason Jars!
    -various sizes in clusters (rule of odds -groups of 3,5,7, etc). 
    -You could fill them with candy that matches your colors (with or without lids)
    -You could fill them with inexpensive vintage-styled jewelry & pocket watches to match the gold in your linens (with lids. -without would look unfinished)
    -What if you filled them with river rocks and sprinkled a few of the rocks around the outside of the jars on the tables? (no lids)
    -If they were filled with real jam or pickles or something they could double as your favor for the guests to take home!

Put a mirror on the table, set an old-looking pocket watch on it with the chain kinda askew then something taller on it too. Like an unlit candle or upright-standing flask.

• Options

ANTIQUE STORE! You can find some awesome and unqiue items at antique stores: Picture frames in dif shapes, sizes and colors you could print out some pics of you, your FI at different ages in black and white or sephia ex: 1 year old with a pic of u both at that age and have it double as your table markers, possibly do a cluster of small frames and lace doyalies, Lanterns are great ideas also with 1 simple tealight, mason jars with old buttons/nic-nacs, bottle of dif shapes/sizes/colors

• Options
    I really didn't want flowers either so we decided to do edible centerpeices. Our colors are Red & Black so were putting red and black candies (almost m&m size) into vases and then out the top will be red and black lollipops. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_looking-for-non-traditional-centerpieces-no-flowers-or-candles?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:95db6c00-59bf-41e4-9f45-0596d04c698ePost:706403f1-ec59-40bd-ae3b-658cf575c49e">Re: looking for NON-TRADITIONAL centerpieces - no flowers or candles....</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were thinking of using fish bowls for our upcoming water themed wedding. The idea was to put sand or small rocks in the bottom of differnent sized fishbowls before adding the water and goldfish (one per). Then top with either a floating lilly or floating candle. Also think about what old tools would be found in a rustic barn... could you make a rustic display with the metal horseshoe mold(or a branding iron in the shape of your combined initials or your wedding logo)  and some greenery(little boxes of wheat grass?) or leaves?  -You could make a centerpiece with, say 6-8, long-handled tools by tieing them together with rope or ribbon then standing them on end like a tee-pee frame. A vintage (non-smelly) pair of cowboy boots (one upright the other on an angle) could work. You could hang a cowboy hat off the upright one to add more detail.  -Other objects you could make arrangements with: tied lasso, vintage belt and holster, bandanas, a saddle, the riding blanket that goes under the saddle, vintange whisky bottles, ornate pistols, flasks, heck even flannel shirts and chaps. -You could put an empty shoe box (upside-down) on the table, cover it with the riding blanket(or the flannel shirt) and have two (or more, -with more boxes) levels to play with. Put a pair of ornate pistols on the box, lean the lasso against the side of the box and set the holster in front.  Those hand-carved wooden bears (usually sold with "welcome" signs) would be great conversation starters! You could even have signs that have the table number or "John and Jane Smith" with "Married July Nth 201N" on the signs. Or if you're using one common logo throughout your wedding have it on the signs.  Two words: Mason Jars! -various sizes in clusters (rule of odds -groups of 3,5,7, etc).  -You could fill them with candy that matches your colors (with or without lids) -You could fill them with inexpensive vintage-styled jewelry & pocket watches to match the gold in your linens (with lids. -without would look unfinished) -What if you filled them with river rocks and sprinkled a few of the rocks around the outside of the jars on the tables? (no lids) -If they were filled with real jam or pickles or something they could double as your favor for the guests to take home! Put a mirror on the table, set an old-looking pocket watch on it with the chain kinda askew then something taller on it too. Like an unlit candle or upright-standing flask.
    Posted by PikaTrips[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I like the rest of your ideas but you really shouldn't use live animals in your centerpiece. The stress on the animal is not nearly worth it. 

</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_looking-for-non-traditional-centerpieces-no-flowers-or-candles?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:95db6c00-59bf-41e4-9f45-0596d04c698ePost:706403f1-ec59-40bd-ae3b-658cf575c49e">Re: looking for NON-TRADITIONAL centerpieces - no flowers or candles....</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were thinking of using fish bowls for our upcoming water themed wedding. The idea was to put sand or small rocks in the bottom of differnent sized fishbowls before adding the water and <strong>goldfish</strong> (one per). Then top with either a floating lilly or floating candle. Also think about what old tools would be found in a rustic barn... could you make a rustic display with the metal horseshoe mold(or a branding iron in the shape of your combined initials or your wedding logo)  and some greenery(little boxes of wheat grass?) or leaves?  -You could make a centerpiece with, say 6-8, long-handled tools by tieing them together with rope or ribbon then standing them on end like a tee-pee frame. A vintage (non-smelly) pair of cowboy boots (one upright the other on an angle) could work. You could hang a cowboy hat off the upright one to add more detail.  -Other objects you could make arrangements with: tied lasso, vintage belt and holster, bandanas, a saddle, the riding blanket that goes under the saddle, vintange whisky bottles, ornate pistols, flasks, heck even flannel shirts and chaps. -You could put an empty shoe box (upside-down) on the table, cover it with the riding blanket(or the flannel shirt) and have two (or more, -with more boxes) levels to play with. Put a pair of ornate pistols on the box, lean the lasso against the side of the box and set the holster in front.  Those hand-carved wooden bears (usually sold with "welcome" signs) would be great conversation starters! You could even have signs that have the table number or "John and Jane Smith" with "Married July Nth 201N" on the signs. Or if you're using one common logo throughout your wedding have it on the signs.  Two words: Mason Jars! -various sizes in clusters (rule of odds -groups of 3,5,7, etc).  -You could fill them with candy that matches your colors (with or without lids) -You could fill them with inexpensive vintage-styled jewelry & pocket watches to match the gold in your linens (with lids. -without would look unfinished) -What if you filled them with river rocks and sprinkled a few of the rocks around the outside of the jars on the tables? (no lids) -If they were filled with real jam or pickles or something they could double as your favor for the guests to take home! Put a mirror on the table, set an old-looking pocket watch on it with the chain kinda askew then something taller on it too. Like an unlit candle or upright-standing flask.
    Posted by PikaTrips[/QUOTE]

One of these three things will happen with the goldfish...
    1) It will poop in the water...very appetizing, no?
    2) It will die...even more appetizing
    3) Some drunk guest(s) will think it is funny to do a fish shot...thus flipper will be eaten.

Please rethink using live animals as centerpieces.  How would you like to be shoved into a fish bowl without food (unless your guests feed you weird table scrapes), have the glass tapped, and watch all your other friends die or be eaten by crazy drunk guests?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_looking-for-non-traditional-centerpieces-no-flowers-or-candles?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:95db6c00-59bf-41e4-9f45-0596d04c698ePost:07b0b81e-6fe5-490c-bed4-cd8c3de8e8a1">Re: looking for NON-TRADITIONAL centerpieces - no flowers or candles....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: looking for NON-TRADITIONAL centerpieces - no flowers or candles.... : I like the rest of your ideas but you really shouldn't use live animals in your centerpiece. The stress on the animal is not nearly worth it. 
    Posted by random4180[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto.  Animals aren't decorations or props.</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    oh lord here we go with the animal rights posts. I personally wouldnt want to be eatting a meal at a wedding with lil Nemo swiming around in front of me. I cant say i dislike the idea its unique... But also thats alot of lil fishies you have to buy and then what are ya gonna do with them? I vote no on this idea only because of that....
    Be warned that whenever you post about using live animals in your wedding at all your gonna get a backlash from people like the PP, I know speaking from experience of asking opinions of a butterfly release. what a sh$% storm that was.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards