Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Wedding Gift

My best friend and MOH is getting married next weekend in Kansas City (where she and her FI live). This is the second wedding for both of them. I went out shopping last weekend to get their gift, and it was like I was either going to spend $50 or $400! (note: definitely cannot afford a $400 gift) She's not having attendants this time around because she wants it to be a low-key event. Getting out there wasn't cheap ($500 combined for plane tickets), the hotel is fine b/c FI gets a discount through work, but we're also renting a car.

This may be impossible to ask, but how much would you spend on a gift for such a wedding? Am I wrong for considering how much I'm already spending on travel when I decide how much to spend on the gift?

And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket

Re: Wedding Gift

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't spend a lot either. She knows your spending  a lot of money just to get there so she shouldn't be expecting a big gift.
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some of DH friends that traveled didn't get us a gift, others got us 50-100 on gift certificates or little gifts here and there. I would spend what you are comfortable on, when you travel... it's known you have to spend money to be there alone. I had to talk DH and explain, but most people know this, I wouldn't worry.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Eh, I sort of think since she's your MOH and best friend, you shouldn't factor in the cost of travel in their gift.  And it doesn't matter if the wedding's low key or both of their second weddings.  I'd say spend what you would spend if she was getting married in your town.
  • Options
    LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Delicate -- I guess the reason I mentioned that it was both of their second weddings is that I've already done the attedant/bigger deal wedding thing for her. I would love to buy her the biggest and best thing off of her registry, but with our wedding coming up and the cost of travel, I just can't afford it right now!
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My parents received an IOU in one of their wedding cards ;)

On a serious note. You can only spend what you can afford. If you don't have the money to buy the $400 gift then you don't have it. I am sure your presences will make her happy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If the $50 gift isnt enough, why dont you just give them money.  I dont know anyone who doesn't appreciate a check.
  • Options
    nancyrnancyr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Only spend what you can afford! Not worth going into hock.  This blog has a few gifts, it's just getting started but it might work for you.  You could consider a photo with a heart made of lit candles and then their names, or how about some http://giftsforthenewlyweds.blogspot.com/2010/04/champagne-anyone.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards