Honeymoon Discussions
Options

HELP - Honeymoon in September???

Hi ladies,

We are getting married Sept. 18 and looking for honeymoon ideas!

Obviously the Caribbean would not be a good choice due to hurricane season.

We live in Eastern Canada and would consider New England (Cape Cod, Boston, maybe NH), California (have been to San Fran and San Diego... thinking of Napa, Sonoma), NYC (have not been), even somewhere in Canada... but cannot seem to narrow it down.

We are looking for relaxation, a bit of luxury, spa, and some adventure (mtn biking, hiking, etc). Suggestions on where to go and where to stay please!!! :)

Re: HELP - Honeymoon in September???

• Options
    edited June 2010
    What about Hawaii or Aruba...?
    Aruba is in the Caribbean, but in bewteen opposing trade winds, so they rarely have bad weather!
    My parents have had a time share there for over 10 years, go twice a year, and it has only rained once while they were there!
    Or you could also do Vegas or Disney...
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• Options
    What about Burlington Vermont?  Definitely fits the bill for hiking, biking, ect. And you can get a gorgeous luxury hotel in the mountains will all kinds of relaxing spa-ish accommodations.   Or Portland Maine has some beautiful hotels as well.

I would skip NYC, it's not really the place you go for relaxation, there are so many people and so much to do it can get a little overwhelming - although it is my favorite city.

Bermuda is supposed to be pretty nice that time of year, and from what I hear, outside of the hurricane belt.  That might be a possibility!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We are getting married Sept 18th too!  congrats!

but are going to the bahamas for the week afterwards. hurricane seasons runs half the year, so avoiding the whole area for half the year def doesnt happen.  The chance of a hurricane actually hitting during the 1 week you are there is extremely rare.  hurriances hit mainland US much more often than anywhere in the caribbean. 

just buy travel insurance! :-)
  • Options
    There are several good options in those areas!  Vancouver and the surrounding area has great food, culture, and outdoor options.  A combo of Montreal and the area around Burlington, VT would be great, as would a trip up coastal Maine (FI and I did a week like this and it was one of our favorite trips ever!) or a road trip from Napa south to Santa Barbara in CA.  Each of these areas would provide great biking, hiking, and kayaking opportunities.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    We spent a weekend in Bar Harbor, Maine for my birthday one year and loved it! We went on some great hikes in Acadia and enjoyed exploring all the little towns. I highly recommend it!
  • Options
    i am partial to both burlington (used to live there) and napa (used to live in northern california and got engaged in napa).  both provide great opportunities to hike, bike, and kayak (our three favorite activities!)
  • Options
    CKen11CKen11 member
    First Comment
    I'd recommend Aruba too. As it's so far south it avoids a lot of the hurricanes and bad weather other parts of the Caribbean get in Sept / Oct. You can practically guarantee you'll still get great weather then... Take a look at Bucuti Beach Resort - it's totally awesome!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help ladies!
  • Options

I am getting married September 3 and we are going to the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas.  We have insurance, so I'm not worried about hurricane season.  Atlantis has it all...check it out!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I would reccomend Bonaire. It's a tiny island right off Aruba and its outside of the hurricane belt. Its very quiet and relaxing there, but plenty of things to do. Its safe, so you can go off the resort and into town and not have to worry about anyting. Very pretty and known for scuba and snorkeling. We biked the entire island. lots to see. Best vacation I been on by far!! and the people are so nice!!

Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Laur20Laur20 member
    First Comment

Bar Harbor!  Its absolutely beautiful- esp that time of year! I went once and can't wait to go back.  Lots of site seeing, (hiking and other outdoor activities) and relaxing at the same time.  

Anniversary
  • Options

Have you considered Mexico? Personally, I love the Riviera Maya and it sounds like it has everything you’re looking for too!

If you’re looking for a place to stay I’d highly recommend Dreams Riviera Cancun.  It’s an incredible all-inclusive resort that’s located between the southern tip of Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.  The resort has the most beautiful beach that’s perfect for relaxing as well as a spa by Pevonia and seven gourmet restaurants to pick from.  If you’re looking for a little adventure, Dreams is also within minutes of some of Mexico’s most amazing Mayan ruins, an eco-archeological park and the world’s second largest barrier reef! 

I hope you look into Dreams, you won’t be disappointed! Good Luck!

• Options

I enjoyed Bar Harbor too, but it was COLD (high of 65 or 70) when we were there in July.  Just something to be aware of. 

I've heard that Costa Rica is supposed to be a great place to go for hiking and more active travel. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards