Getting in Shape

Greek Yogurt vs. Regular Yogurt

I keep hearing about greek yogurt so was thinking about switching over from my regular Dannon Light n Fit a day habit to the greek (Oikos I believe). Any opinions? I've never had it so I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into, but I am looking to get more protein in my daily diet and thought this might be a good way. TIA!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Greek Yogurt vs. Regular Yogurt

• Greek yogurt is a lot more like sour cream than yogurt.  My only real expereince with it is from actually eating yogurt in Greece (but I did that everyday for nearly 2 weeks).

Plain Greek yogurt isn't sweetened, and can easily be used as a substitute for sour cream.  If you prefer it sweeter, a bit of honey added in is fantastic. 

It's reallllly hard to find Greek yogurt here in Canada, but from what I've heard (mostly on the H&F board on the Nest), Oikos is one of peoples favourites.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really like Chobani! It's all natural too, which is a great added plus!

Greek yogurt has a lot more calories than regular yogurt, but it also has A LOT more protein (14 g!) and the added benefit of not using any artificial sweeteners! I especially love the fruit flavored chobani ff yogurts.
  • I get the nonfat plain Greek yogurt from Trader Joes.  Like pp said, it's more like sour cream than yogurt.  I put it in my smoothies with frozen berries, a little bit of sugar, and a scoop of protein powder.  I really like it, but it definitely has a different flavor.  The extra protein is great!  Give it a try and see what you think.  HTH!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I prefer the greek yogurt over reg yogurt because I love the creamier texture. I typically buy the chobani and I have not found that it is much higher in calories.  The flavored ones tend to have a bit more sugar in them though, so just be mindful of that.  I would definately give it a shot!
  • I really love greek yogurt, and it does have more protein, but it is so expensive!  I only buy it when its on sale as a treat.  I usually eat plain fat free regular yogurt.  I don't really like flavored yogurts.  Too much sugar and/or artificial sweetener.  I defintely think plain (either greek or regular) is better than the flavored kind... fewer chemicals and stuff.
  • Chobani is delicious.  It may be higher in calories, I think the peach one has 140.  However, it is higher in protein and keeps me full 3X longer than a regular yougurt. I tried the new yoplait greek yogurt  this morning (strawberry) and was not impressed, it almost had a grainy texture.  I will definitely be sticking with chobani and oikos!
  • I love the Greek Yogurt from Trader Joes.  It is really good with berries stirred in.  The extra protein is worth the extra cost, IMHO.
  • I eat Chobani as well - I buy the plain and then add fresh fruit or frozen raspberries. I try to avoid added sugar as much as I can (it helps a lot). By getting the plain variety, you lose out on the added sugars in the flavored varieties and you can still get a great taste by adding fruit.
    This kind of love is what I dreamed about ~6.4.10~
  • Thanks everyone! I think I'll have to get one just to try and see if I like them.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I like Fage greek yogurt best- either plain, or plain with the little side container of honey or strawberry jam that you mix in....which makes it easy to take to work.

I like how firm and creamy Greek yogurt is, since it's strained....not runny like regular yogurt. It makes it almost like a dessert.

I eat one every day for my mid-afternoon snack!
  • I really like Mountain High nonfat plain yogurt. It tends to be creamier than Danon, more like Greek, but less expensive, and it still has 12 g of protein. It also has the National Yogurt Association seal for live and active cultures, which some yogurts do not have.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm hopping in this conversation pretty late. But, Yoplait is coming out with a Greek yogurt too. And they have coupons.

http://bricks.coupons.com/Start.asp?tqnm=zc4odhp33382268&bt=vi&o=61562&pt=&lang=&ws=&ct=&ci=1&cl=&cp=&eb=1&c=GM&p=af605d1b-332c-44d5-8e0f-3bee2f8f42b4&z=&r=&pc=&tc=
    Slowww down, little ticker. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • I rotate between Fage and Oikos (nonfat) and they taste the same to me. It just depends which is on sale or if I have a coupon. I mix fresh blueberries or strawberries and about half a tablespoon of honey and it is delicious!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards