Getting in Shape

Would you recommend weight watchers?

I would like to lose about 25 lbs.  I am 5'7" and weigh 180lbs.  I don't want to lose the weight just for the wedding.  I just want to feel better about myself and look good.  I love to cook and I am trying to get to the gym 4 days a week.  For me I can stick to a diet as long as I plan out all of my meals.  I am getting married in July and would love to lose 20lbs by then is that realistic in 7 months?
Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Would you recommend weight watchers?

• i think less than 3 pounds per month sounds perfectly realistic if you are careful about what you eat and work out.

I prefer to just count calories and such on SparkPeople but my sister and people I know have had a great amount of success on Weight Watchers. Worth a shot!

Good Luck!
  • If you can stick with something as long as you can plan out all your meals, I think you'd be better off saving your money and trying a free tracking site first.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I've lost 43 pounds in the last year doing WW and working out consistently. I like it, but I agree with PPs that finding something for free might be better. I checked out myfitnesspal but since with WW you don't have to count fruits or veggies toward your daily total, I had trouble staying under my calories with myfitnesspal. 1200 calories sure goes fast!

I think it's harder to make the switch though, then if you just started on myfitnesspal or sparkpeople. Good luck!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Absolutely. I've lost 20 pounds on WW in the last 8.5 months without even really "trying". I think you have to commit to the meetings though - I used a lot of food/exercise tracking websites in the past without much luck, it's the meetings that makes me feel accountable. Also, I prefer points to counting calories, because it makes you more aware of how filling/nutrious something is. Not gonna lie, when I would track calories, I'd totally eat light all day and then splurge on like 1000 calories of junk food at night. With points, it seems to be a lot harder to do that. Good luck!
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone I have tried all of the online sites but I think for me I would do better with going to the WW meetings and getting weighed in every week.  I think it is good to have the face to face communication as well.
  • Yes. I started WW in Feb and lost 20 lbs in about 6 months. I've been very happy with the plan and am now a Lifetime member.
  • Ok, well I'd like to offer an alternative viewpoint then. 

I think WW works very well for some people.  I think it works best for people who don't know what they should be doing to lose weight, or who have a lot of weight to lose, or like you said--the people that need the accountability of meetings.  It sounds like, based on what you said about wanting the face to face accountability that it might be worth a shot for you.

I was on WW for 9 months.  I lost 10 lbs fairly quickly, but then I plateaued.  I was doing everything right, so I finally accepted it was just a plateau and I'd have to wait it out.  Then my dress was done being altered, so I went into "maintenance" and suddenly lost 6 more lbs in two weeks.  I tried hard to STOP losing weight, but I couldn't.  I realized then that I was not eating enough (especially healthy fats) on WW.  My dress was too big in the bust area on my wedding day, and that kind of sucked. 

So if you do give it a shot, make sure you're getting ENOUGH to eat, especially the important proteins and healthy fats.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • LADY 324  I'm 5'9" and 185 lbs. I started WW last year and I LOVE it!  I've lost 20lbs so far and I'm still going!  I plan out my meals in that I know if I want to eat something bad, I'll watch what I eat, so I'm still able to eat the "bad" thing and not go over my points.  I plan on losing the rest of my weight by July as well!  Let's cheer each other on!
    LO
  • I don't go to meetings anymore BTW, I just track the points myself! (For free like everybody said!)
    LO
  • FWIW, one of my besties has done both My Fitness pal (free) and WW (not free).  She has had more success with WW than with MFP, and for her the clincher was the meetings and weigh ins.   She's doing really well with it, losing about a pound a week.  She wants to lose more than you do (mostly baby weight, but whatev), but she's been steadily losing and developing some really good eating and exercise habits.

MFP worked for me, to teach me how to count calories, etc and keep track of my workouts.  I haven't been using it much as of lately because I've had mono for about 6 weeks and haven't been able to do much but work and sleep, but I'm on the mend and plan on using MFP to lose my 5 pounds I've gained during this illness and tone up for my wedding dress.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Thanks for all of the great advice everyone.  I also use MFP.  I feel like I will do better knowing that I am going to a weigh in and someone else is doing it for me.  I think that if I just did the weigh ins at home I might not be as strict b/c I will be the only one who knows if I gained weight.  I think I will give it a shot for 3 months and see how I do.  Thanks alot everyone. 
  • I like myfitnesspal especially because you can scan barcodes of food with your phone.  But I know what you mean about actually having to have some accountability and go to a meeting and a weigh in once a week.  I had some success with WW and it is nice to go to the meetings and get good tips and recipes and set that hour aside for yourself. 
    8/12 March Siggy- reception venue!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • WW is AMAZING! I started on July 1st, and have lost 40 lbs so far! I absolutely love it, and feel so much better! I think the program is really awesome, and now I have basically changed my lifestyle so I don't have to track anymore. I just live a different way now, treat myself sometimes, and am much happier! Try it, it's worth it! :) Good luck! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • As of today, I've lost 22lbs on WW since the last week of Sept. My sister has lost 44lbs. The weekly weigh-ins really keep us accountable and give us something to look forward to. Much luck to you if you decide to join. I would recommend getting a monthly pass because its cheaper than the pay as you go option and it you can use the E-tools option that allows you to connect to a wealth of online resources for the program. Much luck in your health and weight loss journey!
  • Love WW, highly recommend it. I've lost a little over 35lbs, went from a size 16 to a size 8 :) I'm short so that amount of weight is actually a good amount for me. 
  • awesome thank you everyone!
  • I'd highly suggest it. 

I did it several years ago with FI (then BF). I lost 15 pounds, which is about all I wanted to lose, and FI lost around 40-50. I gained it all back, plus some, and am starting again this week. Back when I did it before I didn't exercise. Now I exercise regularly but I eat like crap. 

My BFF started about 3.5 months ago. The first month she lost about 10 pounds just doing WW, and she's since lost 30 more combining WW and working out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards