Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Name change?

How are you planning or are you planning to change your name? Hyphens, keep middle, keep maiden, etc? I hear it's really complicated to hyphenate or have four names (First, Middle, Maiden, Married). 

Re: Name change?

• Options
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I dropped my maiden last and added my married last name. I kept my middle name the same.
  • Options
    I am getting a little stuck on this too...my brother has decided not to have children.  My fiance's brother has had a baby...who is chronically ill and may not have a quality life if it survives the first year at all :(
    Fiance is Mexican, last name Ortiz Patino (fathers last name, mothers last name respectively).
    I am hesitating about dropping my last name of Williams, cause there will be no more with our last name if I do.
    Hesitating about not taking Ortiz cause of future nephews health troubles..and would I take Ortiz or Patino?
    He mostly uses Ortiz, but Ortiz Patino is his legal last name.  I don't want their family to miss out on family lineage either.
    Lastly!! I am thinking about, if I am an Ortiz, Adrianna is a much better fit and what a time to make changes.  Can I have people call me Adrianna without actually legally changing it? Or vice versa?

Please give me your opinions?
    Adrianne Rene Williams -- right now
    A R Williams Ortiz
    A R Ortiz Patino
    A R Ortiz
    Adrianna R Ortiz
    etc etc etc
  • Options
    I kept my maiden.  I've had it for 56 years now, and I have a professional reputation (written two books, etc.) under it.  And even if I didn't already have these things, I would want to be able to develop them under a name I'd be sure to be able to keep, even if my spouse died, left me, etc.
  • Options
    I hyphenated my last name, and it wasn't complicated at all.  It just requires a little bit of clarity when you go to change it; a lot of people automatically assumed that I would be dropping my maiden name and taking my husband's last name.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I plan on having...
    First Middle Maiden Married
    Going by First Married, I don't want to let go of my given name
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    I'm dropping my married name and taking his last name.  So it'll be First, Middle, Married...easy :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    First Middle Maiden, no change. Fi has 4 names (First Middle Middle Last) and he's fairly attached to all of them, so we'll just have completely different names. Fine with me.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    nijschatznijschatz member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    Ok I have a question for those First, Middle, Married girls. Did you drop your maiden name completely when you filled out the paperwork? How does this work on forms that ask for your maiden name? I'm just starting to research this. I'm very attached to middle name but no real regard to current last name. Just a little concerned on legalities if I drop my current last name as far a birth certificate and any other legal docs. Advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards