40-Plus Brides

Back from the dead. Perimenopausal - help!

All,

Some of you are new and don't have a clue who I am, some are thinking, "Where have you been?"

Well, since I was married back in June, life is really busy and stupid.

So...anyone perimenopausal around here besides me? I went to the doc finally about it and my pregesterone is REALLY low. I am a mess. They are giving me hormones for it but because it is so low we have build it up so I don't have horrific periods.

I've always been pretty small in general - size 2/4 A cup. Now (in a three month period) I have gone to a 6/8 and a C cup. WTH!

Re: Back from the dead. Perimenopausal - help!

• Can I just say that I can relate, although for different reasons, to a body that refuses to respond to what I tell it to do.  I spent 15 months exercising about 2 hours a day, 7 days a week, and burning an average of over 1,000 calories a day.  I've also been eating so many vegetables I'm surprised I haven't turned into a rabbit.  During that time, I initially lost a little weight, then gained it all back.

A couple of months ago, I told my psychiatrist that I suspected that the antidepressants I was on were interfering with weight loss, and she agreed to let me taper off them.  She also discovered that I was mildly hypothyroid, and started me on thyroid medication.  I'm really seeing the difference my change in meds has made. For comparison purposes, I did the same 17-mile bike ride today that I did back on March 2, but with totally different results:

Time:

3/2 - 2:27:40
    4/6 - 1:53:14

Maximum heart rate:

3/2 - 138
    4/6 - 148

Average speed:

3/2 - 7.0 mph
    4/6 - 9.1 mph

Weight:

3/2 - 232 lbs.
    4/6 - 223 lbs.

Given that I have made no changes in either diet or exercise in the past 15 months, this is all down to the changes in meds. I think we now have confirmation that the change was a good thing.

• Wow! That is awesome! I love how it is not only weight loss but overall performance.

Ironically, my GYN said to me that the 20 mg of celexa I was on for anxiety was so low it probably had little effect and that it was adding to the weight gain. So I weened off and I feel better!

On Friday I got yet another call from their office saying my pap was normal on the cervical cells but showed that the lining of my uterus is thick. So back again for an ultra sound. I had this before (2 years ago I think) and ended up having a D&C removing polups (spelling?)

This getting old stuff is not for sissy's! ;-)
  • 2dBride, you may also be exercising too much. I recently read that you should exercise only 30-60 minutes per day, 5 times per week. If you exercise more than that, your body produces excess cortisol, which keeps the weight on and bulds more fat. Too much exercise is therefore counterproductive. 
    Also, your muscles -- and body, in general -- need the rest time.
  • Ahhh....getting old is SO much fun.!
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Something about getting married in June takes one away from TK for a while.  I have not been on here in months - been lurking over at TN and putting in my 2 cents worth here and there.

I also just finished up school for Phlebotomy, so between that and working, I had little time for anything else.

Good to see you Jost, Lucy, 2d, handfast,Dot, and whomever else I have missed.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to Back from the dead. Perimenopausal - help!:

Hi! I've been in perimenopause for a few years, and I've been taking this herbal tincture from "The Herbalist"...it's called "Menopausal Hotties", and it's been a Godsend! Just go to the website ( www.theherbalist.com) and check them out. They are located locally for me, the Seattle area, but you can order items online and have them shipped. Good-luck, and know that you are soooo not alone:-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards