Wisconsin

Plus-sized MOB dress needed!

Hello Wisconsinites,

I am getting married in April.  We are looking for an MOB dress for my mom.  You know, the typical fancy dress with a matching jacket.  My mother is a size 26.    We were thinking tea length because my mom can't wear anything shorter because she has varicose and spider veins and doesn't want to wear panty hose, and my wedding isn't SUPER formal, so floor length might be almost too fancy or dramatic.

Department stores and David's Bridal only go up to 24, so we struck out there.  We did go to Dillards, Sears, JCP's, Kohls, and Macy's, and the 24's were not flattering, too tight.  The 24 at David's Bridal was not even close to being able to zip closed.

We have also tried the usual "larger" lady stores/catalogs (Catherine's, Lane Bryant, Roaman's Catalogue, Ashley Stewart, Dress Barn, Fashion Bug, Sydney's Closet) to no avail.  Many of the dresses featured don't come with a matching jacket.  My mom can't wear sleeveless or strapless.  Even short sleeve is sometimes pushing it, if it's a capped sleeve. 

Can anyone suggest a local store or boutique in the Milwaukee/Waukesha, even Madison, area for very plus size women?  (I say "very" plus sized because many places only go up to 24 for plus size sizes, and my mother needs a 26.  In a large lady specialty store, she is usually able to do a 24, as they tend to size their clothes a size larger, so their 24 is equal to a real world 26.)

Ideally, the dress would be pink or purple, or incorporate those colors, as those are my wedding colors, and tea length, but we know we can't be too picky!

(I know there are several ONLINE options for plus-sized women's clothing; however, my mom really wants to try the dresses on before purchasing them and not have to deal with the headache of ordering 15 different dresses from several different stores/websites and having to return all but one of them.)

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions!

Re: Plus-sized MOB dress needed!

• Hi - my mom is plus sized (not the size you find in a "regular" store, but bigger)  She routinely shops at Catherine's which is a chain store (one by Southridge mall).  They sometimes have fancy dresses (you can see online).

Additionally, she couldn't find what she wanted for mine or my sister's wedding and was recommended to a store in Lake Geneva that caters to larger plus sizes and is formalwear.  It is called, "Fit for a Queen."  While I have no idea what they have in stock, they are definitely a place you can check out with you mom!
  • Thanks rungirl12!

My mom and I usually find GREAT stuff for her at Catherines, but everything they have in store is very casual right now, and we didn't find anything online either.  

We enjoy making it out to Lake Geneva for shopping in the cute downtown area.  We will check out Fit For A Queen soon! 

Thank you!!!!
  • Have you tried these?

Avenue
    SOUTHRIDGE PLAZA
    5483 S. 76TH ST
    GREENDALE,WI 53129 US
    414-423-0746

Dots      There are a couple of these around
    Spring Mall
     4260 S 76Th St # L
    Greenfield, WI 53220
    414-543-4122
    Monday-Friday: 10:00 - 9:00
    Saturday: 10:00 - 9:00
    Sunday: 12:00 - 6:00

Rainbow   There are a couple of these around

West North Avenue Sc
    3513-3517 West North Ave.
    Milwaukee, WI, 53208
    (414) 444-9362
  • By the way, you can always try to find a dress even without a jacket and then look for a nice jacket to match it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards