Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Name change *(sorry I know it's been asked)*

Hey girls! We just got back from Costa Rica lastnight and our marriage license was already here! SUPER fast! Now I want to try and get some name changing done tomorrow since I'm off work. I was hoping someone could give me an idea ofwhat I need to do 1st?

SS, or DL?

THANKS GIRLS!

I'll be back later with pics and reviews

Re: Name change *(sorry I know it's been asked)*

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to the DL first because if you go there first, you get something with your new name on it right away (your temporary license).  Then I went to the SS office and they looked at both my DL and marriage license.

But you can do it either way.
  • mandasue178mandasue178 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did the SS office first, and then the DMV. I've heard other people (like Stephie) do it the other way, but the people at the DMV I went to specifically said I had to go the SS office first. They were kinda mean tho.
    Becoming My Mother
    Names for our Currently Non-Existent Baby Anniversary
    Dx: PCOS 3/11
    **TTC buddies with Browneyedhunni85**
    edited December 2011
    Yeah the lady at the DMV made a point of telling me I needed to change my SS card.  I'm like, what do you think I'm doing?  But my DMV is just right down the street so to me that made the most sense.  And like I said, you get something right away with your new name on it.  It just seemed the most logical.
  • edited December 2011
    Ok so any forms I should fill out before or wil they have that stuff there? Also where is the SS office? Is it based on county ? thanks ladies!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can just go to whichever is closest to you. All the forms are there, and I don't know that you can pre-fill them. It was honestly super-simple, but I did have to wait about 45 mins at the SS office. Just 10 or so at the DMV.
    Becoming My Mother
    edited December 2011
    I didn't wait too long either place.  Just remember to have cash or check for the DMV (mine at least won't take credit or debit cards).  At the SS office, there is a separate line for just changing your name (separate from getting a new card altogether--we almost waited at the wrong area). 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's true about the cash/check. I totally forgot about that. 

Which SS office did you go to? Mine only had one waiting area, but you got a different number depending on what you were there to do. 
    Becoming My Mother
  • Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The SS office off I-75 near Highland Park is brand new and beautiful, with a separate waiting area. I tried going Friday with just my Sacrament of Marriage Certificate, and the lady actually asked for me to see if it would work (it didn't). They have a separate waiting area and I only waited 4 minutes. Just make sure to push the button on the computer screen when you go in to get a ticket--there are no signs explaining this.

The SS office is the only gov. run office I actually don't mind visiting. I've had to make changes before, and it is has always amazingly been a pleasant experience.
    edited December 2011
    I can't even remember where we went.  Ben drove.  I also can't remember if I already had a form pre-filled out or not.  But it didn't take long.  The DMV/SS was the easy part compared to all the rest of it!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much girls!! All very helpful! I live in denton county so not real sure which SS office is closests. I know the DMV is not far from here at all!
  • edited December 2011
    I know there is an SS office in McKinney, but I am sure there is one closer to you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I went to the SS office off of 75 and Royal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards