Catholic Weddings

when does priest come down the aisle

I am writing my programs and i am having a full mall. I was wondering when the priest and the alter servers come down the aisle? is it before the seating of the mothers and procession of the bridesmaids and before myself or after me?

thanks for your help
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: when does priest come down the aisle

• mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At our wedding the Priest came down the aisle after the seating of the mothers.

Here is the order we used, but I have heard this can vary by parish so you may want to check with your priest or church wedding coordinator:
    1. Seating of the mothers
    2. Altar Server
    3. Priest
    4. Groom and best man
    5. Usher/Groomsmen
    6. Bridesmaids
    7. MOH
    8. Bride and Father

We had to have our programs approved by our priest anyway so this was something we discussed with him while going over our programs, we didn't really list out everyone in order in our programs.  We just noted the music changes basically, we had Seating of the Mothers, Processional, Bride's Processional.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    the priest and altAr servers often dont process..... in many cases they just enter from the side, similar to how they enter when they say mass.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is different with every priest.

Sometimes the priest processes with the groom, sometimes alone, sometimes not at all.

In the procession, they often process after the families but before the bridesmaids.

I've played a couple weddings where they processed in after the bride,
  • edited December 2011
    ok thank you all... i guess i will have to put off the end until out last meeting with the priest on sunday to see what he prefers
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_priest-come-down-aisle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:aba0c7d9-593e-4a65-aeea-a70390a360e2Post:433b1647-a407-41bd-8108-021f98b8b192">Re: when does priest come down the aisle</a>:
    [QUOTE]the priest and altAr servers often dont process..... in many cases they just enter from the side, similar to how they enter when they say mass.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I have never seen priest enter from the side.  Ours always processes in before the start of each mass.  The altar servers lead carrying the crucifix followed by the priest while we sing an entrance hymn.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I've only seen the priest enter from the side during daily mass. For Sunday masses and special masses (funerals, weddings), I've always seen a procession.

Is the priest entering from the side, by chance, a Latin thing, Calypso? I know that you attend mass in Latin, but I'm not super-familiar with it (though I've heard it's beautiful and want to try it one of these days).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I also attend the latin mass, but even at my family and friends' weddings, I've rarely seen the priest process down the aisle. I think it just varies parish to parish.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    for the Latin, the priest (at our church anyway) does do the long processional with the altar boys, missal, crucifix, incense, etc. at the sunday mass.  during the weekly latin, he enters from the side and they ring the bells.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards