Kentucky

Need Vendor HELP!

FH and I are getting married next May at Whitehall in Louisville and I really need some help with a few vendors! I need to find the following:
Florist (NOT Nanz & Kraft...they're expensive!)
Baker that will make this Martha Stewart cake I saw.
Day of Coordinator
Band and ceremony music (not a DJ)
Hair stylist/make-up artist
A place to buy old school candy and soda pop
When I go out to places I usually pick up cards and the Louisville Bride magazine, but all those people in there are in my opinion too expensive and some of the work I've seen isn't backing up the prices. I just moved here back in October and still don't know of a lot of places. FH lives here, but he's a dude and doesn't know crap. :-p

Amanda & Jesse }|{ May 28, 2011 Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need Vendor HELP!

• squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My florist was out of Lawrenceburg.  Not sure if he'll go to Louisville, but he did great work, and it was very affordable.  Lawrenceburg Flower Shop (easy to google).

No DOC or band for me.

DJ was from Georgetown.

Hair stylist - Angela from Bravada on Hurstbourne.  She's AWESOME.  She's been doing my regular cut & color for years, and she did all the BMs hair, plus me and my mom the day of.  She's also fairly budget friendly.

Makeup - Hope Mitchell.  I was super happy with her work.  She's not the most expensive, but not the least, either. 

Not sure about the candy & soda pop - are you talking about local KY candy?  Muth's downtown has some really good stuff.  The rest of what we put in our OOT bags came from Lexington (Ruth Hunt).
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    Florist:  We went with Panache on Frankfort.  David King is a floral gold and I told him what my ideal price was and what we had budgetted and he worked with me.  He is a genius. . .plain and simple and so nice.

DOC:  We got a family friend to help us out.  Just start asking around.  When I did that, I was reccomended several people who loved weddings and had been in a bunch.  Even though I didn't use them all, they all had really helpful advice for me. 

Band:  We have a DJ.  Ceremony music we got off ITunes.  My friend who got married had a few members of Ballard High School's orchestra play for her ceremony.  She gave them $20 a piece or something.  It sounded great and she saved it saved her a ton of money.

Baker:  I really like Sarah from Sweet Tooth (on Frankfort Ave) and her prices seem good.  She also taught me in a cake decorating class, so I know for a fact she's immensly talented.   Her e-mail is sarawoodford@hotmail.com.

Make up:  Ashley at Modern Glamour.  I ran into her at a bridal shower and loved her.  She's been sweet, prompt and  on top of her game thus far.  She also quoted me a price that was cheaper than any place else I looked, but when she sent me the contract, it was even less on there!

I hope that helps!!
  • inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing mostly DIY things, so I don't have a lot, but here's my advice on some:

Florist: Jill with J. Elizabeth Designs.  She's amazing.  Hands down.  Tell her that Emily from Star's wedding sent you.  Country Squire and Lloyd's also get rave reviews on here.  Nanz and Kraft is doing my bouquet (have a good friend who is one of their designers) and we're growing baby's breath for the rest. 

Cake: Star with Stellar Sweets.  She bakes out of Edenside Church of Christ in the Highlands.  She's incredibly talented and can definitely recreate whatever you want. 

DOC:  Check with Sunny Sky Events.  SunnySkyEvents@gmail.com.  A lot of my friends have used her and they all like her. 

DJ:  No idea on who to do it, but don't do You're Next Karaoke and DJ.  I was at a wedding on Saturday and they were the DJs.  I kid you not, everything he said sounded like a hill billy said it.  It was incredibly unprofessional and there was loads of dead air all throughout the night. 

Make-Up:  Bethany Tiesman does an incredible job.  Her website is http://beautybybethany.com/

Happy Planning!

edited December 2011
    FYI - Country Squire would NOT return my calls when I was looking for florists. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky_need-vendor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:86Discussion:f190c6cb-6027-4c86-b167-02467d99670ePost:4d4d0bac-c523-451a-b1f5-93ae6b6debb4">Re: Need Vendor HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]FYI - Country Squire would NOT return my calls when I was looking for florists. 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

Sad.  I've never done anything with them, I just remember that they've been rec'd on here a lot. 
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky_need-vendor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:86Discussion:f190c6cb-6027-4c86-b167-02467d99670ePost:c2031af8-becb-48d7-ab33-6906a42de173">Re: Need Vendor HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need Vendor HELP! : Sad.  I've never done anything with them, I just remember that they've been rec'd on here a lot. 
    Posted by inkygirl[/QUOTE]

That's entirely why I called them.  I was going to quasi-DIY my flowers with the help of a friend who teaches floral design.  She got really flaky, though, and 3 months before the wedding I still couldn't get her to meet to talk about it, so I went looking for a "real" florist as I knew I couldn't do it solo.  We had some decline the job because it was Mother's Day weekend, but Country Squire was the only one who wouldn't even call me back.  They might do awesome work, but their communications skills leave something to be desired, IMO.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• edited December 2011
    Okay girls,  I'm going to send that stuff now.  Sorry for the delay.  When I got out of my training yesterday, my FI called to say he had been let go from his work :(  So that sucks.
  • edited December 2011
    Squirrly, can you PM me with your e-mail address so I can send you the spreadsheet?
    edited December 2011
    Done.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• edited December 2011
    Florist... J. Elizabeth designs ROCK!!!  I wish Jill had been around for my wedding...her flowers are gorgeous!!!
    Day of Coordinator... love Carol Grisanti or Fairy Godmother's
    Hair stylist... Lebliss salon or Nicole at Beauty First.  leblisssalon.com
    Makeup Artist... Bethany Tiesman of Beauty by Bethany is my first choice.  She did mine and has done SO many of my friends.  Her price is worth EVERY penny!  www.beautybybethany.com

These are the ones I know of from your list.
  • edited December 2011

Florist:  Touch of Elegance--her name is escaping me right now, but she's so nice, down to earth, and very, VERY reasonable. 

Cake:  Sweet STuff in New Albany.  They charge a flat 2.75, I think, no matter what you want (design, flavor, buttercream or fondant).  I say this, though last time I was there I noticed a few changes in personnel, so it may be slightly different now.  The Double Chocolate cake is AWESOME though.

• edited December 2011
    Cake: Heitzmans (did the cake for my FH's brothers wedding, it was GORGEOUS!)

Hair: Erica at Beauty First in Sprinhurst. She is AMAZING at updos and wedding styles! I've seen two weddings she's done, and theyre just beautiful! She's doing my wedding party in August!

Makeup: Jackie also at Beauty First in Springhurst does a wonderful job!

Augu 2010 July Siggy Challenge- Favorite Wedding Item!
    Our Boston Terrier Cake Topper!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    177 image 130 image 24 image 23 image
    RSVP Date July 21 Magic Number 150
  • edited December 2011
    Hello Cupcake Bride, I am the owner/designer of my business, Abigail's Florals, and I'd be delighted to meet with you and help you design the perfect florals for your wedding. I've been in business for over 15 years and have designed over 400 weddings and events, and always within a budget. Since my overhead is less than shops, I can really be adaptable to you. I have a great relationship with the local wholesaler and can get the same flowers and quality as the larger florists. I have photos of my work and have lots of referrals from delighted brides and their families, as well as from other vendors in the field. I am located in  Louisville and have done several weddings at the beautiful Whitehall. Please give me a call or respond back and I'll set up an appointment to meet with you. I look forward to designing your perfect fresh florals. I've also listed a few other vendors I recommend, I've worked with them through the years. Hope this helps you.
         Sincerely, Gail Skees, Abigail's Florals  502 966-3265
  • edited December 2011
    Abigail's Florals suggests these quality vendors:
    Cakes-Nord's Bakery 634-0931
               A Piece of Cake, Terry  968-3749
               Icing on the Cake   447-4548
     Photographers- Skaggs - Tony and Debbie 448-1723
                               Lifetime- Terry and Lynn  253-9292
                               Fusion- Nathan  384-1888    
                               Stringer - Sam and Elaine 222-8122
    Coordinator-  Splendid Events- Pam Broadus 228-7122  

Best Wishes from Gail and Abigail's Florals
  • amymlyonsamymlyons member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my flowers from Country Squire and they were absolutely AMAZING. She called me right away, met with me on my schedule (I live out of town), and the flowers were everything I dreamed of. Her name is Sarah Wilhem and I highly recommend her.

For my cake, I went with The Twisted Sifter. It is out of Perryville, but they will travel to Louisville with no extra charge. My cake was to die for. I gave her a picture and she literally copied it exactly. Not to mention, it was the best cake I have ever tasted. My mom and MIL have received so many calls asking about where we got the cake. They are really inexpensive too. And they will travel to you for a cake tasting for no charge! Check out their website - thetwistedsifter.com

hope that helps!
  • edited December 2011
    If you're looking for beautiful flowers without the big price tag, i'd suggest Dreams Within Reach.  They are very reasonable!

www.YourDreamsWithinReach.com

• thehossbridethehossbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    band, Endless Summer Band out of Indiana.  I have heard them at two weddings, and they are a blast!
    Day of - Carol Grisanti
    Photog - Robert Burge or Todd Pellowe
    Video - Scott Hayes

• ambi083ambi083 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check Cracker Barrel and (not to sound retarded) eBay for old school candies!  Ebay vendors sell fresh candy in bulk all the time!  I actually was going to do a candy bar for favors, but have started to "waffle" on it...
    Ready to get married on our 5th (dating) year anniversary!
  • maggie.heelymaggie.heely member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are so many great vendors in Louisville!

Florist: In Bloom Again is my favorite

Cake Sweet Surrenders can be very inexpensive

Photog: Have you heard of Juan MacLean? He was just featured on bridescafe.com and his prices are reasonable.

Day of: Weekend Wedding Warrior...new company just transfered to Louisville from NY. the only company in Louisville specializing in wedding day coordination www.myweddingwarrior.com

Band: Enless Summer really is amazing...they really know what people want to hear and make the party...not inexpensive, but it's your wedding!

Make up: Beauty by Bethany is perfect and she has tips that will stay with you forever!
  • edited December 2011
    Quick question about Whitehall!  My fiance and I have put Whitehall on the "short" list of venues we are checking out this weekend!  I am little nervous because they seem to stress the importance of having a "quiet" reception since it is in a residential area.  Has anyone already had their wedding there and can offer some insight on how "quiet" we are talking here?  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards