North Carolina-Outer Banks

Who is your caterer?

So my mother, being the most amazing woman she is has offered to pay for the caterering.  We have been looking at caterers and she now thinks it is a good idea only to offer heavy hors dovers as opposed to dinner.  I really feel if people have made the trip I would really like to offer them a great meal and am more than willing to pay the difference myself.
So who has or is doing your caterering and what do you or did you get?  Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Who is your caterer?

• JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ortega'z in Manteo, nacho bar and 3 additional passed h'o to start- two stations, southwestern and traditional and late night snacks- very affordable and delic.  Red Sky was also amazing, it was a tough choice for us, both amazing options.  We got a bit more at Otega'z and loved the food, so we went with them.  Lots of great options I think for you to choose from in the OBX.

I am from a super expensive wedding area, things are double to triple what you pay in OBX, being from New Jersey, you likely have the same.  Try out the caterers, I think what they offer for the price will surprise you and your mom! 

Good luck :)
  • edited December 2011
    Let your caterer know what you budget and they can plan accordingly. I felt the same way as your mom but then my parents were the ones who felt we needed to provide a ncie meal. I agree, now!
    I help us cost the cost a little, we decided we are going to make our own shrimp cocktail. Since seafood always brings up your overall costs. I'm just starting to think about adding a little "to go" snack to the menu but haven't thought too much into yet.
    by the way, we are using Enchanted Cuisine(formerly Culinary Magic). They have been great to work with and I have heard nothing but good about them.
  • mccann58mccann58 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also using Enchanted Cuisine and Gwen is amazing!!  She'll definitely work with whatever your budget is and she gives you a ton of options!
  • edited December 2011
    mccann....Gwen has been wonderful!!!!! So glad someone else is using them and are happy with so far. When's your wedding?
  • mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Red Sky.  Eric is great and easy to work with.  I felt if people were coming all the way to OBX for my wedding, they were going to get an awesome meal and endless drinks.  That and the photography were my key things I was willing to invest in.
  • llilleyllilley member
    edited December 2011
    We're using Black Pelican and Emily was great to work with!  We have passed coconut shrimp, fruit/veggie trays, and crab dip as appetizers and then NC BBQ for the meal.  I think we got a pretty good deal and suggest that you talk to Emily--just tell her your budget and she'll help you create a menu that works!  Also, I've been told/read that heavy hors douvers aren't necessarily cheaper than a meal.
  • delilahjzdelilahjz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the suggestions.  I think you guys are right!  You get so much for your money it is worth looking around to find a caterer who can meet your needs.  I am in Jersey so I might have to book one just on communication alone and then fine tuen a menu later... is that similar to what you other destination brides did?
  • edited December 2011
    Delilah- I'm from Pittsburgh and Im planning this wedding in 7 months, so I've booked all my vendors by research and advice from this board. It will work out just fine. Good luck! I'm using Red Sky Cafe by the way. They don't have those extra fees that I found at other places. And offers a wide variety of food. Any questions just ask! Like I said, I'm just goin with the flow, and hoping it will all work out!
  • mccann58mccann58 member
    edited December 2011
    Krhoy20 - My wedding is 10/8/11.  When I was first booking Gwen, months ago, I went back and forth so many times with changing my mind, etc. and she didn't seem to mind at all.  She was really sweet about the whole thing.  I got a chance to meet her in March when I went down for a  long weekend, too, and she was just as sweet in person.
  • missdysmissdys member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the worst experience dealing with red Sky. I has food allergies and expressed my concerns and needs to him and he kept giving me menus that I couldn't do. Then, I scheduled a tasting with them and he forgot to book it! He tells me that we forgot and that I should look into another day to have a tasting! I don't live nearby, I couldn't do that. Furthermore, it made me question his reliability for the big day. When I poses those questions to him - his answer was "I'm not going to work with you" I was shocked and hurt that a company would just toss my money like that - especially after all the good I heard. As a result, I went with Ocean Blvd. Their food was great, but they make you provide buffet tables, coffee urn, and buffet skirts for them. That was a shock to me, b/c most places included that. Ocean's food was great! I still rave over their food now.
    Remember my name. You'll be screaming it later.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi! I'm an out of towner bride from MD (: We just picked Kelly's for our caterer. Their food is delicious and they let you make up your own wedding menu (even if it isn't on their menu!). We are doing 3 h'orderves & chicken, beef, & fish for the main dishes with sides, etc. We are bringing our own alcohol (event home wedding)

We were also looking at Argyles and Red Sky but they were both a little more expensive then we were willing to do... hope this helps! (: Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using the Black Pelican as well and Emily has been very helpful, efficient and is quick to respond to my e-mails.  They have a lot of options and delicious food!
  • edited December 2011
    Black Pelican here also.  Emily was awesome.  Very responsive and very good about working with budgets.  One of my wedding colors is lime green and my signature drink is Margaritas.  We decided on stationary shrimp cocktail, mexican dips, guacamole, chips, veggie tray for appetizers.  We will be doing a fajita bar (chicken, steak, mahi mahi) with all the toppings including Mexican rice, beans, guacamole, many salsas, veggiess, cheese, etc.  Additionally, Emily included in the quote all bar mixers, fruit, ice etc.  We are buying the alcohol ourselves.  All for 1/2 what we were being quoted in the DC area.  I've also heard my neighbor say that this is their favorite restaurant in the OBX...we are so happy we chose them and know it will be great!  When all is said and done, we're looking at about $6000 total - including everything above, plates, barware, taxes, gratuity - for about 100 people. I don't care about having an extravagant meal.  I just want to give my guests great food and something substantial that will help soak up all the free alcohol.  LOL. Sorry if its tacky to include actual pricing....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    KEB, your menu sounds exactly like ours!  And the pricing is pretty much identical for the same things included and # of people, too funny.  Same here as far as the costs, it is less than half of what we would pay for the same thing here up North in my area. 

I have also heard very good things about Black Pelican catering, but we already had too many good options to pick from so didn't end up checking them out.  I am sure they will be great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards