South Carolina-Charleston
Options

IOP or Sullivans Beach wedding?

We're having a med size wedding; about 100 people. Our plan is to rent a beach house, holding the ceremony on the beach in front and the reception in a tent on the lawn in the yard. However, i have read so many ridiculous restrictions for having a beach wedding (i.e. no photographers, no wedding coordinators, etc,etc). 
I have seen beautiful photographs and articles written about weddings that have taken place. I just want to know how you or your friend pulled it off? 

Also, have you been to a beach wedding? How did you feel about it?

Re: IOP or Sullivans Beach wedding?

• Options
    Lucy062405Lucy062405 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i too wanted a beach wedding on iop. however with the business ban on the beach (can't hire a minister/photographer/rent chairs, etc) we contacted the officiant/minister to view his thoughts since we are not from the area. He said the only place on iop he does weddings is on Wild Dunes Resort/they have a private beach etc. We went to Wild Dunes and they have no problem with a beach ceremony but can be no part of setting up anything for a ceremony chairs decorations etc. As far as to rent a house on iop they have a restriction of no more than 40 guests for a function at a residence. So to avoid all of this mess he suggested Sullivans Island for the beach ceremony :) Said most of them take place at breach inlet or station 18. Hopefully some of my obsessive googling will help you lol Wink
  • Options
    lasalzillasalzil member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IOP is a much nicer beach (IMO). Sullivan's though can also be very pretty because there are some rocky areas which is quite unsual for our beaches down here. I would probably go with Wild Dunes though because the enforcing of these rules has gotten really strict lately. Definitly do the reception on Sullivan's because they won't even begin to book a rental beach house if  you exceed the limit!! Hope that helped. Wild Dunes is BEAUTIFUL by the way, and you may even want to look into doing the reception there. They have a lot of different venues on the property.
  • Options
    CorsCorsCorsCors member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know this took me a while to respond, sorry! 
    So is Sullivan's just not as strict? They do have all the same rules as IOP (with the exception of the 40pp/private home), do they just not enforce them? 

• Options
    MellandNateMellandNate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When is your wedding?  I hear that there is a meeting of the city council to change the no professional photography on the beach. So maybe by the end of the this month, it will be no more! It has already passed the first reading last month :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_iop-sullivans-beach-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:600Discussion:990ab608-df1d-41c5-9ddc-67872527144fPost:49341737-b97a-4f89-9595-8d697c031b98">Re: IOP or Sullivans Beach wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i too wanted a beach wedding on iop. however with the business ban on the beach (can't hire a minister/photographer/rent chairs, etc) we contacted the officiant/minister to view his thoughts since we are not from the area. He said the only place on iop he does weddings is on Wild Dunes Resort/they have a private beach etc. We went to Wild Dunes and they have no problem with a beach ceremony but can be no part of setting up anything for a ceremony chairs decorations etc. As far as to rent a house on iop they have a restriction of no more than 40 guests for a function at a residence. So to avoid all of this mess he suggested Sullivans Island for the beach ceremony :) Said most of them take place at breach inlet or station 18. Hopefully some of my obsessive googling will help you lol
    Posted by Lucy062405[/QUOTE]

I found this post because of my own obsessive googling.  :-)  I have Wild Dunes booked and they told me the same thing about it being ok to have a beach ceremony however they can be no part of it.  I have a few emails going in to the resort and city to see what I need to do but crossing my fingers all is ok! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards