Getting in Shape

ggrrr

Omg, I am TOTALLY PMSing right now and so frustrated and angry so I want to pig oif big time! My FI and I are doing the low carb thing right now though and I can't help but think how funny it is that all I want is a bowl of steel cut oats but go for a stick of celery and a Tbsp of grapeseed oil instead. *sigh* Why can't oats....and chocolate cake...be healthy????? *pout*
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: ggrrr

• Oatmeal is healthy.  This is why I don't like eliminating whole food groups.  I don't like feeling deprived.  Eventually that deprivation catches up with me and I end up really splurging.  Everything in moderation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oats are healthy.  BUT if you are doing the low carb thing then yeah, not the best choice.  Instead of chocolate cake, have a bit of dark chocolate!
  • I agree with PPs, but then I'm of the mindset that to have a sustainable diet you shouldn't 100% cut out anything (especially if you enjoy it!)
  • edited January 2013
    OP, what are you defining as low-carb? Under 150g a day? (which is a lot lower than the average American and you really don't need more than 150g a day anyway?) Or are you attempting ketosis (under 50g a day?) Are you trying to go Paleo? 

If you want to go Paleo, cut out grains (especially ones containing gluten) first and don't worry about your total carb counts. You will experience a "carb flu" for about two weeks while you go through withdrawal, but afterward you will not want grains at all.

Are you not Paleo and are just dropping carbs to try to lose weight? No wonder you're struggling. Going cold turkey on a bunch of things - gluten and processed sugars - is not a good strategy. Wean yourself off one, then the other - occasional indulgences are fine, as long as they don't derail you. Don't eat crap that comes in a box that is labeled "low-carb" or "gluten-free" or whatever. Eat real food.

Also, when you're PMSing, your body does need more calories. So eat more real food!

Are you eating enough fat? It's crucial to good health, satiety and nutrient absorbtion.

ETA: Also, if you're approaching the whole thing as a way of losing weight just for the wedding, you need to stop. You need to think of this (generally healthy eating, not necessarily low-carb) as a lifestyle change. Sometimes it's worth to ease yourself into something than do a crash program or go cold turkey.

And also, the thought of eating celery with grapeseed oil would make me cry too. Why are you eating it if you don't like it? If you're going low-carb, why not have some hardboiled eggs, cheese or nuts as a snack? Or even berries or an apple? An apple has ~30g of sugars, depending on its size. You can still have a piece of fruit a day and be at or under 50g of carbs a day.

AND, FWIW, going ultra low carb generally does not work for women anyway. Men can do very well on it, but women's bodies are different. I'm all for cutting back to 150g or under a day (like I said, 150g a day is plenty and you really don't need more unless you're an endurance athlete) but you're not going to accomplish anything by consuming, say, only 20g of carbs a day.
  • Celery with grapeseed oil? How awful!

Ladies that have posted here have given you good advice. Unchatenfrance points out some good further questions that should be answered in order to give you more specific advice though...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I should rephrase.  I know that steel cut oats are not bad.  I decided to do this with my FI because we both want to try to get into ketosis.  I've read up on the different schools of thought on this as well as the risks/benefits.  Didn't necessarily go into it for any reason other than I've been interested in doing the paleo/low carb thing for some time now and have wanted to see how it would work for me.  And to be honest, I really don't have cravings at all and it hasn't been a struggle up til PMS hit.  Now I just want to sit in the middle of a stack of candy and go to town, lol. 

I have noticed one thing to this whole change I've made though and it's an unexpected surprise for me.  For well over a year or so now, I've been dealing with lower tummy bloating, pain, discomfort, etc etc every day almost non-stop.  Some days were better than others, but it was ALWAYS there!  A couple of days into this inductioin though, all my symptoms are gone!!  I am looking forward to slowing introducing things back into my routine once the iduction is over with and maybe I can pin point better what exactly was causing my upsets.  But omg, I am so happy about this and can't believe how much better I feel!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_ggrrr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:0372628b-9955-46fe-a409-af3e8385eb4bPost:5ccea0b3-8121-4e69-8196-39223d1c2d1d">Re: ggrrr</a>:
    [QUOTE]I should rephrase.  I know that steel cut oats are not bad.  I decided to do this with my FI because we both want to try to get into ketosis.  I've read up on the different schools of thought on this as well as the risks/benefits.  Didn't necessarily go into it for any reason other than I've been interested in doing the paleo/low carb thing for some time now and have wanted to see how it would work for me.  And to be honest, I really don't have cravings at all and it hasn't been a struggle up til PMS hit.  Now I just want to sit in the middle of a stack of candy and go to town, lol.  I have noticed one thing to this whole change I've made though and it's an unexpected surprise for me.  For well over a year or so now, I've been dealing with lower tummy bloating, pain, discomfort, etc etc every day almost non-stop.  Some days were better than others, but it was ALWAYS there!  A couple of days into this inductioin though, all my symptoms are gone!!  I am looking forward to slowing introducing things back into my routine once the iduction is over with and maybe I can pin point better what exactly was causing my upsets.  But omg, I am so happy about this and can't believe how much better I feel!
    Posted by icefog34[/QUOTE]

<div>Yay for Paleo! I'm not strictly Paleo, I'm Primal (some neolithic foods like dairy ar allowed if you tolerate them, etc.) but I've noticed a huge change as well. Before I would get super-bloated during PMS, all in my face and abdomen - it would look like I gained 10 pounds. Since going Primal that has completely disappeared, as have the cravings for the most part. I think it's great you're pursuing Paleo but just a note about ketosis - I've noticed on the Primal forums that even men, for whom ketosis tends to work a lot better than for (non-obese) women, say that dealing with cravings and munchies is a struggle. It's a great "hack" to lose weight, especially as you near your goal, but it is not easy. My suggestion for you would be to dial into Paleo/Primal completely, and then try ketosis. If you don't see results or don't find it sustainable, don't beat yourself up over it. Try something else like intermittent fasting.</div><div>
    </div><div>As for your tummy symptoms, I am willing to bet it's gluten.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_ggrrr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:0372628b-9955-46fe-a409-af3e8385eb4bPost:60cac7fe-71ee-4814-ac78-76c7e18dbcbf">Re: ggrrr</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ggrrr : Yay for Paleo! I'm not strictly Paleo, I'm Primal (some neolithic foods like dairy ar allowed if you tolerate them, etc.) but I've noticed a huge change as well. Before I would get super-bloated during PMS, all in my face and abdomen - it would look like I gained 10 pounds. Since going Primal that has completely disappeared, as have the cravings for the most part. I think it's great you're pursuing Paleo but just a note about ketosis - I've noticed on the Primal forums that even men, for whom ketosis tends to work a lot better than for (non-obese) women, say that dealing with cravings and munchies is a struggle. It's a great "hack" to lose weight, especially as you near your goal, but it is not easy. My suggestion for you would be to dial into Paleo/Primal completely, and then try ketosis. If you don't see results or don't find it sustainable, don't beat yourself up over it. Try something else like intermittent fasting. As for your tummy symptoms,<strong> I am willing to bet it's gluten</strong>.
    Posted by unchatenfrance[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm afraid of. I used to think that was a load of crap, but I guess not. I am going to continue on with this last week of induction, so far I've lost 3 lbs, but I'm not really seeing it oddly enough. I'd love to cut enough so I can see more muscle definition. My ultimate goal is to compete in figure/fitness competitions, and I know I can succeed at it, I just need to figure out how to safely cut without going through drastic extremes....at least not until show time, lol. Some of the stuff I hear people doing before shows is downright cray cray!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_ggrrr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:0372628b-9955-46fe-a409-af3e8385eb4bPost:0e9f8848-4674-4394-b297-556ae04fe97c">Re: ggrrr</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ggrrr : That's what I'm afraid of. I used to think that was a load of crap, but I guess not. I am going to continue on with this last week of induction, so far I've lost 3 lbs, but I'm not really seeing it oddly enough. I'd love to cut enough so I can see more muscle definition. My ultimate goal is to compete in figure/fitness competitions, and I know I can succeed at it, I just need to figure out how to safely cut without going through drastic extremes....at least not until show time, lol. Some of the stuff I hear people doing before shows is downright cray cray!!
    Posted by icefog34[/QUOTE]

<div>It is cray cray! But keep in mind that cutting gluten may do wonders for your health and how you feel, but it is no magic bullet when it comes to fat loss. You will still need to train properly, manage your macronutrients and tweak your calories. I gave up gluten 4 years ago and don't regret it one bit. The first two weeks were brutal, but after that it's like a switch went off. And the longer you're gluten-free (and/or Paleo), the easier it is to remain GF/Paleo.</div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck!</div>
  • As long as you and your fiance are working out hard for your big day, then eating a meal of carbs (whole grains - steel cut oats are good!) and protein within 1-2 hours post exercise will be beneficial. It will help your muscles recover faster from the workout (less soreness) and fuel your next workout!! AND this way you still get to eat those steel cut oats that you're dreaming about!

Good luck!
  • You should try a low glycemic index diet .. It has the good carbs I have a lot of diabetic patients and it works really well for non diabetics too! You can do a search online for some free recipes to try. Right now I'm doing weight watchers with a friend and the buddy /coworker thing is helping!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards