Honeymoon Discussions

Nassau, Bahamas vs. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Hi everyone.  So my fiance and I want to get away to an all inclusive resort for just adults but we're having a hard time deciding where to go.  I think we're trying to decide between Sandals in the Bahamas and an all inclusive adults only resort of some sort in Punta Cana.  For anyone that's been to these places which do you think is better?  We'll be going in late August and heading there from Milwaukee.  I'd appreciate the advice.  Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Nassau, Bahamas vs. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

• Ive been to Atlantis in the bahamas before.  Although it was beautiful, it was very comercialized and touristy.  Everything was extremely overpriced and honestly wasnt as relaxing as I anticipated.  But again it depends what you are looking for.
  • I've never been to the DR but have been to Nassau twice.  We stayed at the Sandals Royal Bahamian which we loved.  It's a great resort, AI, couples only.  There are a lot of restaurants to chose from and the beach is nice.  There's also a lot of pools and hot tubs.  We took the public bus and went into town a few times which was fun.
  • You should check out other resorts besides Sandals as well. They tend to be overpriced for what you get. A lot of people think Sandals are the only All Inclusives or they have to go there because it is the only one they know about. It is because they spend ridiculous amounts of money on advertising and raise the fee's for everyone to pay for that advertising. Try Couples or Secrets. Just as good if not better and much more affordable.

• I stayed at Iberostar in PUnta Cana.  It was like 10 years ago but it was really nice.  Good food, lots of fun and very relaxing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • We're staying at the Majestic Colonial in Punta Cana in June. It's all inclusive and has a new adults only section where we are staying
    June 2013 Sig - Shoes
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI and I stayed ay The Excellence in Punta Cana about 2 years ago for a week and it was AMAZING!!! Highly recommend. Its adult only, good food, great drinks, beautiful and really went out of there way to make us feel special. We never left the resort once and werent bored for a second!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I prefer the DR over Nassau. I think the locals in the DR are just amazing people, so kind and just wonderful to talk with. I know there is a Secrets resort in the DR that is supposed to be great, though I have not stayed there. My choice for the DR is always going to be the Bahia Principe -- I tend to stay at that chain of AIs everywhere I go, it is absolutely worth checking out.
  • Thanks for all of the information and tips everyone!  I really appreciate it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2013
    Another vote for the DR over Nassau, much more beautiful and the resorts there will be much cheaper than Sandals. Ditto dazyabbey when people do a little research they'll find much nicer resorts for cheaper. Bottom line is Sandals is over advertised and over priced. If people just researched a little more they would find much nicer resorts for a fraction of the cost. I also feel like "we're going to Sandals" is just way overdone. Go somewhere different! Friends of ours spent more to honeymoon at Sandals in St. Lucia than we did to honeymoon in Fiji which is just absurd to me!

Plus a lot of travel agents are affiliated with Sandals so they push the resorts, so do your own research before going to see a travel agent (if you're going to) and find other resorts that'll get you a lot more for your money.

We're going to the Majestic Colonial in the Dominican Republic for DH's 30th b-day this spring and we can't wait! We're staying in their club section which is new and adults only. We'll have a butler, private check in, a hot tub in the room and on our private terrace, a la carte breakfast and lunch instead of going to the buffets, 3 bottles of liquor in the room, premium liquor options at the swim up bar and other bars in the adults only section, etc..

The Excellence and the Iberostar in Punta Cana get amazing reviews and are always on Trip Advisors top AI resorts list.
  • I think we're leaning toward the Excellence!  It looks beautiful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards