North Carolina-Outer Banks

Advice from someone who knows OBX well

Need some advice... our wedding is May 20, 2013 (a Monday). My fiance and I are coming down to the OBX Friday to get our marriage license. Our house rental starts Sat. Back in July I booked a room at the Inn at Corolla Light. Now that I have been to the OBX, I am realizing Corolla is pretty far up the island.

We can either pick up our marriage license in Manteo or Currituck County.

We are from Pennsylvania and I know we passed through Currituck on our way into the OBX, but when I mapquest the address of the Currituck County Office of Deeds to the Inn at Corolla Light it's about an hour drive. Our wedding is in Nags Head.

When I mapquest the Manteo Office of Deeds to the Inn at Corolla Light it would also be an hour and we would be going all the way down to Manteo then back up to Corolla.

Anyone have any suggestion as to which would be a better idea? I am thinking maybe we should just change our hotel reservation to a diff hotel (Maybe the Nags Head Inn, which still has some reservations available). Maybe we could just go straight to Manteo, get the marriage license, then stay in Nags Head.

Thoughts?

Re: Advice from someone who knows OBX well

• We drove down to Manteo from our house rental in Duck, wasn't bad at all, especially since you won't be there in the height of tourist season..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you come in on 158 then you drive right past the Currituck Court house.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_advice-from-someone-who-knows-obx-well?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:1f57d9e6-19ae-4d53-b41d-c0a9f46c4640Post:c42c33a7-797d-48ca-823d-a739905ce7bd">Re: Advice from someone who knows OBX well</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you come in on 158 then you drive right past the Currituck Court house.
    Posted by Jennyandscott14[/QUOTE]

Is the Currituck Courthouse the same as the Register of Deeds at
    <blockquote> <p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"> <strong>2801 Caratoke Highway
    Suite 300</strong> </p> <p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"> <strong>Currituck,  NC   27909</strong>   </p><p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"> </p><p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">This is where the website says we need to go for the marriage license. </p> </blockquote>
  • Looks like it should be since the directions has it right off of 168. Since you are coming down on a Friday shouldn't be any problem going there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_advice-from-someone-who-knows-obx-well?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:1f57d9e6-19ae-4d53-b41d-c0a9f46c4640Post:22413ad7-866b-4081-a197-730137ec6f83">Re: Advice from someone who knows OBX well</a>:
    [QUOTE]Looks like it should be since the directions has it right off of 168. Since you are coming down on a Friday shouldn't be any problem going there.
    Posted by ksj10032782[/QUOTE]

Thanks! That's what I was thinking, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding it since I'm not familiar with the area.
  • We got our license on the way down since Currituck is on the way and we got married in Corolla!
  • tergitergi member
    First Comment
    edited February 2013

Where is your rental home located?  If it is more to the southern end you might want to get a hotel room more toward Nags Head.  Then the drive to Manteo won't be far at all, and you won't spend your entire day driving.  Also, make sure you have the required documents.  My soninlaw did not have his social security card with him, and luckily the registrar person allowed him to call his bank back home and they faxed them proof of social security number.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards