Interfaith Weddings
Options

Jewish and Hindu Wedding

I am an American Jewish girl and my other half is an Indian Hindu man. We are completely lost on how to even go about planning a wedding. We want to include both ceremonies but are afraid that people would be bored or not want to stick around for two shortened ceremonies. Plus there is the issue of officiants and the cost for his family in India to come. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Jewish and Hindu Wedding

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_jewish-and-hindu-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:396Discussion:83e298c8-8888-45df-90cb-d2c4d8291937Post:859d4372-8a8a-4ac3-a32e-d44b9b876840">Jewish and Hindu Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am an American Jewish girl and my other half is an Indian Hindu man. We are completely lost on how to even go about planning a wedding. We want to include both ceremonies but are afraid that people would be bored or not want to stick around for two shortened ceremonies. Plus there is the issue of officiants and the cost for his family in India to come. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
    Posted by Cmbee123[/QUOTE]

<div>Hi,</div><div>There are couple of suggestions that I can give you about how you can go about planning your wedding ceremony. Since you are marrying someone from a different faith and country I recommend you two make the most of the opprtunity. </div><div><ul><li><strong>Option 1</strong></li><li>Have a Jewish ceremony in your country and apply for a marriage license. If his family from India comes, make some handouts for them to read during the ceremony so that they understand the process and it's significance.</li><li>Plan a small Hindu wedding in India to please his side of the family. Since there is a hindu wedding in India, you save on the cost of his extended family travelling to attend the wedding from India. Have someone from your family to attend the hindu wedding and have a write up for them to understand the various rituals and ceremonies. </li></ul><ul><li><strong>Option 2:</strong></li><li>Have a destination wedding in India. Helps you save majorly on your cost. Do a hindu or jewish wedding or both on the same day. You may be able to plan the wedding and honeymoon at less then half the cost of your wedding in your own country. Though, you will have to apply for a marriage license in your own country since the process in India will be complicated and time consuming.</li></ul></div><div>All the best planning your wedding. </div><div>
    </div><div>Regards</div><div>Ravindra</div><div>RAVMEK Weddings & Events, India</div><div><a href="http://www.ravmek.com" rel="nofollow">http://www.ravmek.com</a></div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_jewish-and-hindu-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:396Discussion:83e298c8-8888-45df-90cb-d2c4d8291937Post:859d4372-8a8a-4ac3-a32e-d44b9b876840">Jewish and Hindu Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am an American Jewish girl and my other half is an Indian Hindu man. We are completely lost on how to even go about planning a wedding. We want to include both ceremonies but are afraid that people would be bored or not want to stick around for two shortened ceremonies. Plus there is the issue of officiants and the cost for his family in India to come. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
    Posted by Cmbee123[/QUOTE]
    Hi,

I am a wedding planner/ coordinator based in NJ but travel all over and experienced in Interfaith weddings. What I can say in your situation is that it all comes down to the cost. You can contact me for a free consultation in NJ.

Simer Grewal
    Dream Weddings by Simer
    (216)502-5194
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Judaism and Hinduism actually have a lot in common. When my husband and I planned ours last year, we noticed that there were many traditions that have the same significance, but different names. For example Hindus have a Mandap and Jews have a Chuppah. They both are the same thing, a wedding canopy that represents the couples future home. Both religions also have a significance with the number 7. Jews do 7 circles and Hindus do 7 steps. I started a blog last year about Hindu/Jewish wedding planning and marriage. You might find some answers there as well. Good luck and congratulations! Latkeladki.wordpress.com
  • Options
    I just planned a Hindu and Jewish wedding for a couple.  We used one officiant who merged together the two ceremonies.  There are actually a lot of similarities.  Let the ceremony reflect who you both are, individually, and as a couple.  The whole ceremony took 45 minutes, and no one was bored.  

If you can't afford for his whole family to come, there are a lot of options for webcasting these days, or maybe just having some of them come. It's hard not to have all of your loved ones there, but there are other ways to include them.

Good luck,
    Rashi 
    eventnirvana.com
  • Options
    There was actually just a post on exactly this on a great blog recently. Check out http://apracticalwedding.com/2012/08/being-an-involved-groom/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards