Getting in Shape

Spin class? *updated question*

I'm battling Runner's Knee which is now fired up after the half marathon I ran today (dumb, I know but I couldn't help myself). My next half isn't until April 20 and I think it's time to rest. I still want to cross train and keep up cardio so I don't lose too much strength and someone suggested spin class. It's been two years since I took spin class and I am a little freaked out! Do you love spin? Is it a good cardio workout? Any suggestions or words of advice? Thank you!

I added a question below...

Re: Spin class? *updated question*

• edited January 2013
    Congrats on the half!!!

I thought I would hate spin, but instantly loved it.. I just moved, but before my CARDIO gym routine included a couple runs, 4 step classes, 2 combat classes a week. So.. I did a TON of cardio. 
    The thing I loved about spin? It kicked my butt because I MADE IT kick my butt. You set your own resistance, so you are going to get the work out YOU make yourself get. You hold yourself accountable. I see people coming out of spin classes talking about how easy it was and how they didn't break a sweat, but that's their faults. 

What other cardio do you do, though? If all you do is run, you may want to consider something other than spin, or split your time between spin and something like the elliptical/cross trainer BACKWARDS. 
    Running/spinning work your hip flexors, so it's important to work the back side to balance out, or you'll end up like me: Super tight hips, a hurt iliopsoas, and pain in the back when sleeping at night. :o) Don't do it. 
    haha
  • I swear by spinning..it has transformed my whole body. I spin 4-5 times a week and even when I only did it twice a week,it was a kick ass workout. Some people just ride and do no work, but i really challenge myself and up the resistance and sprint hard, etc. Go for it, spin is awesome!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_spin-class-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:2934f82a-f3f4-412f-87fb-95a78deae11bPost:e88f8b7c-19c1-4c88-b7fa-58c5814d9fcf">Spin class?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm battling Runner's Knee which is now fired up after the half marathon I ran today (dumb, I know but I couldn't help myself). My next half isn't until April 20 and I think it's time to rest. I still want to cross train and keep up cardio so I don't lose too much strength and someone suggested spin class. It's been two years since I took spin class and I am a little freaked out! Do you love spin? Is it a good cardio workout? Any suggestions or words of advice? Thank you!
    Posted by Giaspo[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I love and hate spin b/c it its sooo effective. The first time I ever did it I literally thought I would die. Now I'm better at it, and if I don't feel like pushing myself too hard, I just dont. My advice is to bring a giant water bottle and work at your own pace. Sometimes I know if I turn that knob the way the instructor says, I will be overly exhausted and half to quit, so I might skip that turn. Its still a great exercise, and I always try to do everything the instructor says, but dont feel bad about customizing!</div>
    Dreaming of our Hawaiian honeymoon! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OMG! Spin is amazing! The first time I dd it I took an into class that only lasted 30 minutes... I thought I could do anything for half an hour! Little did I know! 10 minutes into I was dying! But what a workout!!
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 2013
    OK I'm in!  I can't wait to try it and will report back.  Thanks everyone! 

Firsttimer....
    "Running/spinning work your hip flexors, so it's important to work the back side to balance out, or you'll end up like me: Super tight hips, a hurt iliopsoas, and pain in the back when sleeping at night."

This!  Yes...I started last summer with all of this and found a great PT who helped me realign my right hip.  I also found a massage guy who knew what an ilipsoas was and he helped me during training.  Are your hips rotated-in or -out?  This was the bulk of my hip/soas/piriformis issues. 
  • edited January 2013
    Slightly in from all the work, but for me (apparently.. so says professional :P) It's all my iliopsoas (on my left side)  that is doing the damage.  My Pt was amazed at house flexible my hips are considering, so everyone seems to be positive it's not my issue. Bodies are so strange.. 
    I get it worked out every month or two. My massage therapist always rolls her eyes at me when I walk in the door because she knows.. haha
    Yoga 6X a week really helped but since moving, I have been completely out of routine. 

At least you know! So you know what to be looking/feeling for during class :) Looking forward to your report!  Hope you enjoy it :) 
  • What should I know about the equipment?  Is it seat height only that needs to be adjusted? 

• I looooove spinning! I also have a bad knee (torn meniscus I decided to "walk off". Great idea) and I find that if I put my seat a bit higher so my knees don't have to do as much bending it doesn't bother my bad knee. 

I agree with others that you get out what you put in. I spin with a few different instructors and some will tell you a resistance and rpm range to be in at any given time and other just sort of let you chose your own. I sit front and center so I feel like I have to work out because everyone behind me can see if I slack. 

You'll love it. I'm also predominantly a runner but I've definitely taken a love to spin. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If you have knee issues, I would definitely take it easy when starting out with a spin class. I love spin, but my knees have a hard time handling it. Maybe split it up with time on the eliptical, which is a lot less harsh for the knees. Good luck! :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_spin-class-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:2934f82a-f3f4-412f-87fb-95a78deae11bPost:278513e7-2229-4a27-96d5-05259da5df22">Re: Spin class? *updated question*</a>:
    [QUOTE]What should I know about the equipment?  Is it seat height only that needs to be adjusted? 
    Posted by Giaspo[/QUOTE]

As PP said, seat height and forwardness.  On some bikes you can change the handlebar height.  Also, some people wear clip-in shoes so you may need to check that your pedals have the straps attached still. (I'm assuming you're wearing tennis shoes)  If your gym offers a beginner spin (most I've seen have this once a week) I'd do that - they build in time for the instructor to check everyone's bike to make sure it's adjusted.  Otherwise, just get there early and let the instructor know it's your first time and they'll set you up.  Bring a towel (you sweat a lot) and a waterbottle that you can drink out of with only one hand (sport bottle? maybe it's just me but if I take both hands off the bike I feel like I'll fall off) and you're all set!   Have fun, and I suggest trying classes with a few different instructors at first, until you find one that motivates you and plays music you like :)
  • Thanks everyone! Tonight I took yoga with my favorite instructor who also teaches spin... and somehow committed to her 5:30am class this Friday. She is going to help me with the bike and, like some of you mentioned, said we can tweak the settings for my knee. I'm pretty excited. Plus, she just signed up for her first half in the spring so I may get a new running friend out of it. Double bonus!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards