Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Can I ask for corelle instead of china?

Here's my question. I know it's traditional to get china plates for your wedding but I have a two year old. I would absolutely love to get new dishes, mine are really run down, but I would never use china as I have a small child and I am admittedly clumsy and drop my dishes all the time. (But they are corelle and never break). So would it be rude to ask to skip the china and get something more practical for my life? 

Re: Can I ask for corelle instead of china?

• Options
    Not at all.  Register for what you need and will use.  If china isn't your thing, skip it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    It's totally appropriate to register for china or "everyday" dinnerware, or both. Corelle counts as everyday.
  • Options
    You can register for whatever you want. Just keep in mind that china isn't as fragile as it used to be. Many patterns are dishwasher safe, microwave safe and incredibly hard to break. It's meant to last a long time. When I went to BBB, the consultant actually banged the tea cup on a table to show me how strong it is. I was shocked! 
  • Options
    Ditto pp's...register for whatever you like that would be useful to you.  There's nothing wrong with Corelle if that's what you want.  I did register for china and crystal, but I already have everyday dishes that I plan on keeping.  If I needed everyday dishes, that's what I would have registered for since it would be a lot more useful than the china that's only for special occasions!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    I will say though, if you think you may want china in the future, this is probably the best time to get it, you know, when a large group of people want to buy you gifts.  Your son or daughter won't be two years old forever!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    All great points! Thank you everyone! I feel much better about it now!
  • Options
    We're not registering for china either! We picked a very plain white set of every day dishes (not correlle) and decided on a larger set since it's inexpensive. For the few formal meals we host every year (christmas eve and easter) I registered for some gold chargers to put under them... still less per place setting (and much more user friendly for us) than "china"!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards