Delaware

Seamstress

I picked my dress up from Brides and Grooms yesterday. It looks fabulous, but I need it shortened and taken in just a bit.

I believe I read on here not to use the store's seamstress. However, I like the idea of it not costing me more than $250.

Any recommendations? I think i remember seeing Sophia's is a big hit. Is she pricey? I also worry she's just too busy to take on a new customer, but I don't know why I'm getting that vibe.

Suggestions welcome!

Re: Seamstress

• wicked+faerywicked+faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My seamstress in located in Dover. she's REALLY fair on her prices & does a great job!

if u're interested i can u her info.
  • edited December 2011
    Sophia might be busy right now with Prom, but she is nice and good.  Elaine Morgan is also a good seemstress. 
  • edited December 2011
    I want to say we paid a bit more for Sophia for my dress than what B&Gs wanted, but she did a great job and we knew that we wouldn't have to worry about anything.  I posted her info in the other seamstress post.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in Pike Creek (Newark, DE) area.

Found my wedding gown 3 weeks before my wedding (bought it off-the-rack at Frank Bernard Ltd). 

Elaine's (works out of her home)
    3 Mesa Court
    Newark, DE 19713
    Phone 302-738-5594

She Usually charges $150 for wedding gowns but is rushing mine for $200.  Dropped my dress off (and had the 1st fitting  a week after buying the dress) need only 2 more appointments after that.  Had the 2nd appointment and the dress was already almst perfect.  One more appt and I pick the dress up 3 days before the wedding.  Even though Frank Bernards cleaned my dress for free (since t was a sanple gown), Elaine's is spot cleaning it for free to get the important parts, veil, and shawl spotless - for free!! 
    ??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_seamstress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:77Discussion:4c850f91-faf4-48dc-9549-d09cc460c96fPost:bc5b848b-1314-468c-b4ba-f0c80259bcde">Re: Seamstress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sophia might be busy right now with Prom, but she is nice and good.  Elaine Morgan is also a good seemstress. 
    Posted by Mrs.LuraT[/QUOTE]

Ditto 302-738-5594
    ??
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_seamstress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:77Discussion:4c850f91-faf4-48dc-9549-d09cc460c96fPost:003aa3b8-8122-48b4-b557-499daf5dbc37">Re: Seamstress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in Pike Creek (Newark, DE) area. Found my wedding gown 3 weeks before my wedding (bought it off-the-rack at Frank Bernard Ltd).  Elaine's (works out of her home) 3 Mesa Court Newark, DE 19713 Phone 302-738-5594 She Usually charges $150 for wedding gowns but is rushing mine for $200.  Dropped my dress off (and had the 1st fitting  a week after buying the dress) need only 2 more appointments after that.  Had the 2nd appointment and the dress was already almst perfect.  One more appt and I pick the dress up 3 days before the wedding.  Even though Frank Bernards cleaned my dress for free (since t was a sanple gown), Elaine's is spot cleaning it for free to get the important parts, veil, and shawl spotless - for free!! 
    Posted by smilormarie[/QUOTE]

And this is with french bustle, hand sewing the hem so it didn't have to be cut (trying to do the alterations so they can be undone and the dress sold after the wedding and Elaine TOTALLY understood my predictament).

Completely re-did the boob area which was odd with this dress, and is re-inforcing all seams since it wa a sample gown and probably had girls in the dress who were too big to try it on.  I was amazed at my 2nd appointment.  I could have walked out wearing the dress for my wedding day but she wanted to do some finishing touches.  Also offrered to steam my dress and veil for free to be picked up right before the wedding! 
    ??
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
  • edited December 2011
    FYI, almost all seamstresses (those worth their salt anyway) will steam the dress after working with it. 

I am also going to play devil's advocate and say that I had several close people to me have bad experiences with Elaine, which is why I went with Sophia, even if I did pay a bit more.  After the things I heard and saw myself, I wasn't willing to risk it.  Feel free to message me with details.
  • edited December 2011
    I *LOVE* Elaine!!  I used her for my own wedding gown 3 years ago... also sent my SIL and many friends to her for wedding gowns.... my BMs went to her, and I took a few BM dresses to her in the past few years.... one friend of mine had her ENTIRE gown custom made by Elaine (from start to finish!!) and I also bring my personal clothing items (dresses, skirts, blouses, etc) as well as DH's suits, etc to Elaine for tailoring!! 

I LOVE HER!!!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • edited December 2011
    My cousin recommended me to Wendy's on rt 4 in Wilmington, DE. She did an amazing job on her dress and is doing a great job on mine. 

Edit: So after my dress, she said she's never doing the same thing again. Don't buy your dresses from China ladies. But, even with my awful dress, she did an amazing job for a good price. With my cousin's dress, she was very reasonable and it looked awesome. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_seamstress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:77Discussion:4c850f91-faf4-48dc-9549-d09cc460c96fPost:9f19a3df-e7ac-4716-bf5c-feb948e2f0d3">Re: Seamstress</a>:
    [QUOTE]My seamstress in located in Dover. she's REALLY fair on her prices & does a great job! if u're interested i can u her info.
    Posted by wicked+faery[/QUOTE]

Hi is there any way I could get the seamstress's info for dover.My daughter needs a bridesmaids dress altered
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards