Wisconsin

Too early for weddding Registry

Hey Brides,

My fiance thinks its too early to start our wedding

Registry for our June 2011 wedding.  He made a good point that items can get discontinured.   How long did you wait before doing it and did you run into problems with items not being avialable?

Re: Too early for weddding Registry

• edited December 2011
    My wedding is in May and a bunch of checklists that I have found say that we should be registering right now. We are worried about it being too early and things being discontinued but my sister made a good point. She said that by registering now or soon that anyone who wants to get us Christmas presents and need ideas can get us stuff off of our registry and than we can just add new things after the new year. She said also this way if there are things that end up getting discontinued you still have a chance to get them if you want for Christmas instead of for your wedding. I am still iffy myself though about registering this early.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JessieH11JessieH11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my wedding is in may and i've already registered.  It takes alot longer than I would have thought!  I wanted to get it out of the way so we could have fun with it and not feel like it was another thing to check off our list.  I'm happy that we've already done it.  I also agree with people being able to get you stuff for christmas.  The other awesome thing is that you can do registeries online now and make any changes right from your home, whenever!
  • edited December 2011
    It's totally fine to do it now.  Just take a second look a few months before the wedding incase anything was discontinued... and you may think of one or two more things that you would like to have.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else. My wedding is in May and Fiance and I are hoping to register in October. We don't want to have to worry about doing it over the holiday season when stores are super busy. We plan on keeping track of anything discontinued/seasonal as well from home and then maybe adding some more things in the few months leading up to the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    DON'T register yet.  The rule of thumb is to wait until a month or two before your first shower.  Items discontinue all the time and right now you would be registering during the timeframe when the majority of items stocked in the stores are seasonal merchandise.

You should NOT register now with the thought process that Christmas or a birthday or whatnot is coming up, and people can just buy off the registry... NO!!!  You wouldn't register for those events at any other time in your life, a wedding does not give you a pass to do so this year, it's considered pretty tacky.

Registering only takes a few hours at each store you go to, so dedicate a day to go early next year.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in June 2011 and I will probably wait until after the new year to start any registries.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not getting married until August 2011 and my FMIL pretty much made me register. Her sisters and my FSILs are throwing me a shower over Christmas (the only time I'll be in town until the wedding), and FMIL was adamant that they needed 4 months to check into sales and such.

The bottom line is - if you register now, things may be discontinued, but just keep an eye on it. And really, until someone asks for your registry information, no one will know you've done it.
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married in Sept 2011 and have my registry started.....

I know from reading some people have a lot of issues with seasonal items they register for and Target I heard has had some issues of stuff being available.

I check my registry regularly to see if anything is "unavailable or discontinued" to fill in with a replacement item but nothing has to this point.

You could go either way but some stores have VERY good sales for the holidays so the moms wanted us to register since we are doing save the dates soon (wedding is in GB during Packer season) so some guests if they choose can take advantage of those sales...
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • tjoschkotjoschko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We did our registry more than 6 months before our wedding (Macy's was having a sip and scan promotion - btw those events give out nice extras, we got wine glasses and starbucks travel mugs).  Most of the items were around the whole time.  We registered for some outdoor furniture that is still around but very limited (but we really wanted it and it isn't around all year no matter what).  We didn't have a problem.  Most of the kitchen stuff doesn't change.   That's my two cents.

• edited December 2011
    Ditto what Jules08 said. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards