Favors

How to distribute favors

So we're getting married in Vegas next month, and one of the things I wanted to do for favors, instead of the standard "roll of quarters" was to tie jackpot balloons to the backs of the chairs at dinner - stuff balloons with random amounts of money, some small, one bigger jackpot balloon, some with nothing (heh), but I'm starting to think that it might be a pain to execute since we're not having a normal reception dinner, but instead, taking everyone OUT to dinner. Any ideas on what might be a fun way to do this, with less of a headache? I know I could just do favor boxes or firecrackers or something, but I wanted something a little more creative... I may still go with the balloons, maybe see if I can have the restaurant staff tie them on before we get there or something, but I'm not sure. Figured I'd see if you lovelies had any other ideas first! Thanks!!!

Re: How to distribute favors

• Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_how-to-distribute-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:813309bd-f3ab-42a7-88af-445341749055Post:6f45f439-77c4-4531-b8f9-b62c757ccf78">How to distribute favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]So we're getting married in Vegas next month, and one of the things I wanted to do for favors, instead of the standard "roll of quarters" was to tie jackpot balloons to the backs of the chairs at dinner - <strong>stuff balloons with random amounts of money, some small, one bigger jackpot balloon, some with nothing (heh),</strong> but I'm starting to think that it might be a pain to execute since we're not having a normal reception dinner, but instead, taking everyone OUT to dinner. Any ideas on what might be a fun way to do this, with less of a headache? I know I could just do favor boxes or firecrackers or something, but I wanted something a little more creative... I may still go with the balloons, maybe see if I can have the restaurant staff tie them on before we get there or something, but I'm not sure. Figured I'd see if you lovelies had any other ideas first! Thanks!!!
    Posted by lizsites[/QUOTE]

HOld up.  So some of the guests will cash as favors and others will get helium only?  I would completely rethink this idea.  I also don't think it's the restaurant staff's job to decorate for you unless that's part of the contract.

You could probably find some dice boxes or something to put candy or whatever in as a favor.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012

• No no, not *nothing* - that isn't the only favor I'm planning. We're doing welcome bags at the hotel, plus a couple of other things. It was just one of the things I was thinking of also doing. Vegas. Gambling. Pick a seat, you may get a prize, sort of thing. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_how-to-distribute-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:813309bd-f3ab-42a7-88af-445341749055Post:82e8b345-410a-47c4-8983-78ff618ba3df">Re: How to distribute favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]No no, not *nothing* - that isn't the only favor I'm planning. We're doing welcome bags at the hotel, plus a couple of other things. <strong>It was just one of the things I was thinking of also doing. Vegas. Gambling. Pick a seat, you may get a prize, sort of thing. </strong>

I wouldn't do this.  The reception, whatever you do, is supposed to thank your guests for coming so everyone should be treated equally.  The balloon thing sounds more like a game for a shower or bach party.  I'd pick a favor where everyone can partake if they want and where everyone gets the same thing or I'd skip the favors entirely.  Welcome bags aren't really favors either.
    Anniversary

• PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Favors aren't required, so I don't know why all the PPs are up in arms about this.  I wouldn't call it a favor, but I think it's a cute idea.  It's Vegas, baby!  Luck of the draw, roll of the dice.  But make sure that all the balloons have money in them, so everyone gets something.

And I think that if you bring the blown up balloons to the restaurant, it's not a problem for the staff to tie them to the chairs.  I assume you have a private room.  It's not any different than having place centerpieces, etc.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_how-to-distribute-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:813309bd-f3ab-42a7-88af-445341749055Post:c86e93d6-6034-4876-bafc-ac24a54e47de">Re: How to distribute favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]Favors aren't required, so I don't know why all the PPs are up in arms about this.  I wouldn't call it a favor, but I think it's a cute idea.  It's Vegas, baby!  Luck of the draw, roll of the dice.  <strong>But make sure that all the balloons have money in them, so everyone gets something.</strong> And I think that if you bring the blown up balloons to the restaurant, it's not a problem for the staff to tie them to the chairs.  I assume you have a private room.  It's not any different than having place centerpieces, etc.
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

Who's up in arms about it? Aren't we all saying the same thing about being fair to the guests?

• PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Mrs B, you suggested getting dice boxes to put candy in as favors right after you suggested rethinking the balloon idea.  Maybe not "up in arms," but certainly not a stamp of approval, either.
  • She completely said she MAY go with the balloons and she wanted to see if we had some other ideas.  So I gave her a couple of links of other ideas.  I never said she couldn't/shouldn't do balloons.  I did say she should rethink the some people get money and some people get squat idea because that's not really a favor. 

• I agree with Mrs B. You should definitely not have some guests getting an empty balloon, even if you are giving them other things.

Also you said you were taking people out to dinner, so I'm assuming you'll be in a restaurant with other guests? How many people are at your reception? If I was eating dinner as a non-guest I wouldn't appreciate having a bunch of people popping balloons loudly. I don't know that the restaurant would appreciate that either, having to clean up all the popped balloons.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • So, just read through all these posts and this is my idea.................

LOVE IT!  Who says you can't be a little noisy and have fun at your reception -- people in the resturant are going to know it's a wedding reception and they will probably be fine with any celebration you choose.  If they don't oh well, how many other times in your life are you going to be "obnoxious" in a resturant.  (I dont' think the balloons will be obnoxious.)

Also who cares if some of the baloons are empty - it's for the fun.  Personally I think a lot of receptions are too stuffy and adding a little fun is always a better option.

And in my experience, and my family has had LOTS of dinner parties of all types in resturants, the staff wont mind helping with  a little decorating.  If it is a lot then I would have someone you trust that isn't a part of the wedding party help out.'

DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO.  No matter how over the top and rediculous other people think it is, it's your wedding.

hope this helps.  I am planning my wedding for December.  There will be only 20 guests and because we chose such a small wedding we are sparing no expense at doing just about everything we want to make our night OUR NIGHT.  Thankfully we have very supportive family, but even if we didn't this is OUR wedding so  we are going to do what we want to do.
  • I don't know if you are on any sort of budget or not, but I just heard Friday our nation is having a Helium shortage (NO not a joke). Apparently very few balloon suppliers have helium and the ones who have it are raising their prices 3 to 5 times the normal price. Its priority to make sure Hospitals and the Industrial sector get helium before any party stores do. So if budget is a factor you may not want ot do baloons.
    ?We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.? ~ Buddha
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_how-to-distribute-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:813309bd-f3ab-42a7-88af-445341749055Post:1af74cc3-b50e-4934-ba40-c1948f48cbba">Re: How to distribute favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, just read through all these posts and this is my idea................. LOVE IT!  Who says you can't be a little noisy and have fun at your reception -- people in the resturant are going to know it's a wedding reception and they will probably be fine with any celebration you choose.  If they don't oh well, how many other times in your life are you going to be "obnoxious" in a resturant.  (I dont' think the balloons will be obnoxious.) Also who cares if some of the baloons are empty - it's for the fun.  Personally I think a lot of receptions are too stuffy and adding a little fun is always a better option. And in my experience, and my family has had LOTS of dinner parties of all types in resturants, the staff wont mind helping with  a little decorating.  If it is a lot then I would have someone you trust that isn't a part of the wedding party help out.' DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO.  No matter how over the top and rediculous other people think it is, it's your wedding. hope this helps.  I am planning my wedding for December.  There will be only 20 guests and because we chose such a small wedding we are sparing no expense at doing just about everything we want to make our night OUR NIGHT.  Thankfully we have very supportive family, but even if we didn'<strong>t this is OUR wedding so  we are going to do what we want to do.</strong>
    Posted by carlynkevin[/QUOTE]

You might want to re-think that attitude. It stops being all about YOU when you invite guests to your wedding. If you want to do whatever you want and not have to think about other people's feelings, you should probably just elope/not have any guests. As the HOST of your wedding, you should consider guests' feeling and comfort first and foremost.

What many posters here have said is that it would be rude for OP to give a favor--which is supposed to be a thank you to the guests--and have some of them not get anything at all. The logistical points I made are things OP needs to consider. If doing this is not cool with her venue, there may be issues on the night of her wedding, which she would certainly not want.

Vacation
  • errr... Ok. Well I wasn't necessarily asking for opinions on whether or not we *should* do it. I was just hoping that there may be some other creative ladies here with ideas on *how* to do it. 

I know my guests, how the idea will be recieved by them, and am not worried about people being "offended" that they didn't get a little extra something, on top of the other stuff that we're planning for them. And I'm pretty sure that everyone is adult enough to know not to be popping balloons in the middle of a restaurant. 

Anyway, like I said, I guess I was just hoping for some other creative ideas. Guess I may have come to the wrong place. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_how-to-distribute-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:813309bd-f3ab-42a7-88af-445341749055Post:4c2b2fbe-fb91-462c-8a04-2459e27b0cfd">Re: How to distribute favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]errr... Ok. Well I wasn't necessarily asking for opinions on whether or not we *should* do it. I was just hoping that there may be some other creative ladies here with ideas on *how* to do it.  I know my guests, how the idea will be recieved by them, and am not worried about people being "offended" that they didn't get a little extra something, on top of the other stuff that we're planning for them. And I'm pretty sure that everyone is adult enough to know not to be popping balloons in the middle of a restaurant.  Anyway, like I said, I guess I was just hoping for some other creative ideas. Guess I may have come to the wrong place. 

When you come here for advice, we will be honest. If we think something is a bad idea, we will tell you so you don't do something that might hurt or offend your guests. Your friends will most likely not tell you to your face if something is rude because they care about you and don't want to hurt your feelings.

So you are giving balloons with money inside some, but don't want people popping them at dinner? You just want them to take the balloon home, pop it at home, and then find out if they get money or not? I just really don't understand this favor at all. I would honestly scrap it, but it sounds like you just want validation for your ideas and not actual constructive criticism, so I doubt you will listen to any of us.

Vacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_how-to-distribute-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:813309bd-f3ab-42a7-88af-445341749055Post:4c2b2fbe-fb91-462c-8a04-2459e27b0cfd">Re: How to distribute favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]errr... Ok. Well I wasn't necessarily asking for opinions on whether or not we *should* do it. I was just hoping that there may be some other creative ladies here with ideas on *how* to do it.  I know my guests, how the idea will be recieved by them, and am not worried about people being "offended" that they didn't get a little extra something, on top of the other stuff that we're planning for them. And I'm pretty sure that everyone is adult enough to know not to be popping balloons in the middle of a restaurant.  Anyway, like I said, I guess I was just hoping for some other creative ideas. Guess I may have come to the wrong place. 

Don't mind some of the posts on here...truly, some people don't let up and don't want to give "constructive criticism" - they seemingly only want to attack. I think it's a fun idea, especially, if you think your audience is up for the fun-ness of the celebration! :)  And ...it's VEGAS! Everyone's senses are going to be heightened as it is, so it'll just happify the celebration moreso - AND, it gives everyone something to talk about! :)
  • edited June 2012
    I know, the women on here are awful.  And all the awful ones are already married, too.  I don't get why they come here. 

Anyway, I think it's the best idea ever!  =)  Your guests are going to love it!
  • She said she was planning on giving her guests other favors as well.  A welcome bag with maybe another little treat at the reception like candy or something.  Maybe even something as basic as a poker chip with your names and the wedding date on them. 

The balloons thing is just added fun and I think that it fits with the theme of your wedding.  It's casual, works well in the vegas setting and is an extra element that people won't be expecting.  Maybe instead of balloons you can put it in something else ( i.e. a mystery black or white box with question marks, In a drawstring black bag with a little tag and funny description as to what's inside).  HTH!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2012
    It doesn't matter if there are additional favors, as favors aren't even required to begin with. There are still logistical concerns you need to consider with having a bunch of balloons that you don't want people popping right then and there, but you want them to each take a balloon home and pop at home? That doesn't make sense. I also think, as a guest, it would be lame to pop a balloon and not get anything--this is something your guests will THINK but not tell you as they don't want to hurt your feelings. Again doesn't mean they won't think it isn't odd.

This IS constructive criticism. Constructive advice is NOT simply validating every idea thrown out there. That's called being a pushover. Giving constructive advice is pointing out legitimate concerns that people who are really excited about an idea probably don't see because they're excited about it and don't want to look at the possible negatives.

There are two options:
    1) Guests pop the balloons right then and there, which goes back to the issues I posed earlier about it being loud and noisy and making a mess; or
    2) They are given a favor they CAN'T open at the actual wedding, have to cart the balloon back home/to their hotel room, just to pop it and get an empty balloon. What a letdown.

Neither option is that great. That's what I'm trying to tell you. Will you do what you want? Probably, based on your responses, but you came here for opinions, and I'm giving you my objective opinion. Take it or leave it but don't complain about getting opinions when that's the purpose of being here.

Vacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_how-to-distribute-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:813309bd-f3ab-42a7-88af-445341749055Post:db9f1bd2-d533-480f-8936-0c2871dc06f1">Re: How to distribute favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to distribute favors : You might want to re-think that attitude. It stops being all about YOU when you invite guests to your wedding. If you want to do whatever you want and not have to think about other people's feelings, you should probably just elope/not have any guests. As the HOST of your wedding, you should consider guests' feeling and comfort first and foremost. What many posters here have said is that it would be rude for OP to give a favor--which is supposed to be a thank you to the guests--and have some of them not get anything at all. The logistical points I made are things OP needs to consider. If doing this is not cool with her venue, there may be issues on the night of her wedding, which she would certainly not want.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Woah woah woah... favors are totally NOT necessary, it's good enough that OP is taking the guests out to dinner (totally doesn't have to) and if she wants to have a little fun at HER wedding that's fine. No matter what anyone says, your wedding day is 100% about you and your husband, if the guest dont like the way youre celebrating, they can take the free dinner and alcohol and go elsewhere haha.

</div>
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards