Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Dad passed

My dad passed away 5 years ago. I've chosen not to include any type of memorial thing at the wedding for fear of bringing down the mood of such a joyous occasion. That being said, there's the traditional father/daughter dance.  While I thought I might want to skip it altogether, I have been thinking of honoring him here. I am thinking of playing "My Girl" by the Temptations---but I can't decide if I should dance alone (in a fun playful manner) or maybe dance with my dad's brother, who will be walking me down the aisle. I really want the moment to be just me and my dad-so I am tempted to dance on my own.

Any thoughts?

Re: Dad passed

• Dance with his brother. That will bring a tear to everyone's eye. Dancing alone may seem strange..
  • Dance with his brother, not by yourself. People may not get it... 
  • edited January 2012
    I don't know how well this idea will go over, I've never seen it done before, and I'm not sure if it would be too sad or long or out of place:

But since you want it to be you and your dad, what if you did a brief slideshow of pictures of the two of you together while My Girl plays, in lieu of dancing?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_dad-passed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:de6f3332-b665-4f2e-bcb3-bf92bdb005cbPost:dbcb4fa6-2d20-4042-bcb1-096d65123837">Re: Dad passed</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know how well this idea will go over, I've never seen it done before, and I'm not sure if it would be too sad or long or out of place: <strong>But since you want it to be you and your dad, what if you did a brief slideshow of pictures of the two of you together while My Girl plays, in lieu of dancing?</strong>
    Posted by batfacepattermonth[/QUOTE]

This.

I love this idea. I think it would be an awesome way to pay tribute without making it sad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our DJ had a suggestion for us (as I am in wheelchair and dancing is difficult), that might work for you.  He suggested that I pick a song and ask all father/daughter's in attendance to come to the dance floor instead to share in the dance to acknowledge the tradition.
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I may try the slideshow... That might require some extra equipment though... The fathers and daughters dancing is a nice alternative as well.
  • I'm struggling with this same thing.  My Dad passed away 7 months ago and I'm struggling with who to walk me down the aisle and that song.  It's too new for me to dance with everyone else. 

My FI lost his father a year and a half ago so we are both going to light a candle for our Dad's during the ceremony.  I'm just wondering if your slideshow will make people sad when they see him and see that he is not there.  Just something to think about to keep the mood joyful.

Joelene
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards