Illinois-Chicago

Florist/Greenhouse?

I am getting married in Joliet in July and the reception is at the Carlisle in Lombard.  Does anyone know of an affordable florist in this area?  Someone suggested using a greenhouse rather than a florist because it is more affordable.  Does anyone have experience with this? 
Thanks!

Also, cheap but nice wedding favor ideas????

Re: Florist/Greenhouse?

• fashionxfashionx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My florist was very reasonably priced, and I loved her work. She is independent so she doesn't have a lot of the overhead that some florists do. Her name is Mary and the company is called Flowers by Color -- www.flowersbycolorchicago.com. GL :)

Do you have a theme that you want your wedding favors to go along? We kept ours super simple and just had chocolate kisses wrapped in tulle. I think edible favors are easy and everyone likes them.
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • ARJ6511ARJ6511 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Any florist in Joliet is probably reasonable. We used Shamrock Garden in Glen Ellyn and were very pleased with our flowers! They were also reasonable. 

As for favors, do you and your FI have any common hobbies or interests that could be turned into a favor? You could always do some kind of candy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I DO NOT reccommend our florit, Miller's Florist.

For favors--I think edible ones are the best! Candy buffets are really popular now. Or you could be really simple and buy Hershey bars (or your favorite candy bar) and make some simple wraps/stickers.
  • lmg1115lmg1115 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine had her flowers done by Joliet Junior College's Horticulture Department (http://www.jjc.edu/academics/divisions/career-technical/agriculture-horticulture/hort/Pages/weddings-events.aspx) and she said it was SO SO SO AFFORDABLE!!!

check it out!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I did try them but they do not do summer weddings.
    :-(
  • MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kio Kreations is in Naperville but does weddings all over and can work wonders with your budget.

Favors--I agree with Aimers, edible are the way to go. You can do a candy buffet, a popcorn buffet (we did this and it was a HUGE hit) or even just cookies at each place setting. I did find a label to re-wrap Hersey bars with a personalized wrapper.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone!  Also, any ballpark amount that you are supposed to spend on gifts for those standing up in your wedding party?
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_floristgreenhouse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:759f9f4d-bdf3-49af-85cb-2c8e37473dc1Post:0ca3ae3c-8650-4021-95da-259dc9d0747d">Re: Florist/Greenhouse?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, everyone!  Also, any ballpark amount that you are supposed to spend on gifts for those standing up in your wedding party?
    Posted by Goof20[/QUOTE]
    I don't think there's an amount you <em>have</em> to spend/not spend.  Hop over to registering and gifts. Lots of people ask for suggestions on bridal party gifts there. I got my girls rollable flats that fit in your purse so they could wear them for dancing.  I also helped pay for their dresses since they were more than I wanted them to pay. I've received jewelery, clutches and mani/pedis as "gifts" as BM gifts, but you can get them whatever you want really.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards