Catholic Weddings

Flower Presentation?

Can someone tell me what the Kiss of Peace and Blessed mother presentations are?  We aare not having a mass just the ceremony as FI is not baptized, not sure if these are included or what they even are.
Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!

Re: Flower Presentation?

• edited December 2011
    My FI is not baptised either, but I am doing a Devotion to Mary, which is probably the same as  the Blessed Mother presentation.  Basically you give flowers to the statue of Mary and pray to her. She is a great role model for all women and I wanted to pay my respect to her. The kiss of peace is new to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker " Love for thy love and hand for hand I give" William Shakespeare
    110 Invitedimage 24 Ready to Partyimage 0 Missing Outimage 86 Making Us Waitimage
    RSVP Deadline: 10.06.10
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks that is what I was assuming fo the blessed other, never heard of the other.  I have a call into my priest at the church the women at the front desk did not have to many answers and seemed botherd by my call.  I doubt she even wrote down my question.
  • edited December 2011
    I have never heard of the kiss of peace either. It sounds like the Blessed Mother presentations are what is usually known as a Devotion or Offering to Mary and/or Joseph. It is usually optional to include the Devotion to Mary, at least it was at the church we got married in. Our priest didn't seem to care one way or the other if we did them or not.
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Could the Kiss of Peace be a new way of saying Sign of Peace?  For our ceremony, we have the option of just exchanging the sign of peace between ourselves or walking down to our parents and exchanging it with them as well.  At my sister's Greek Orthodox ceremony, at this time, she and her husband also gave flowers to the moms.

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The kiss of peace is the old way of referring to the sign of peace.
  • edited December 2011
    In a Catholic ceremony you don't kiss at the end before the announcement, you kiss when you show your fiance a sign of peace, so your kiss of peace is your kiss.
  • edited December 2011
    Just spoke with the priest he said the kiss of peace happen during the communion, which we will not be having as there is no mass.  He said the Blessed Mother presentation is optional.  Thanks for all of your help ladies!
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the "kiss of peace" is not part of communion. It happens after the hour father and nuptial blessing. It is usually included in weddings without a mass, however it is an optoinal practice even during the Sunday liturgy.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    The Kiss of Peace is the same as the Sign of Peace.  It is a part of the Communion Rite/Liturgy of the Eucharist.

It follows the Lord's Prayer (Our Father).  The priest follows the Lord's Prayer with a blessing along the lines of, "God said to his apostles, I leave you peace; my peace I give to you".  The priest says to the congregation, "The peace of the Lord be with you always"...and the congregation answers, "And also with you".  Father then says, Let us offer one another a sign of peace.

In our church the physical response depends on whom you are seated next to and around....families typically hug or offer kisses on the cheek, a simple handshake is extended to those in your immediate area. 

This would not   be the same "kiss" as in the "I now pronounce you" or "I now introduce Mr and Mrs.......If I am not mistaken, in a full out nuptial mass, the vows would have already been said and done...,

As an aside, when it has time to offer the Sign of Peace, my daughter used it to present single flowers to any/all special women in her life.....grandmothers, Godmother, Aunts.......
  • edited December 2011
    at the rehearsal the priest will be able to help you with the Devotion to Mary... how, when, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards