Offbeat Weddings

throwing away traditions and customs

I wouldn't consider myself offbeat, but there are a lot of wedding traditions I'm not doing...for example: I'm walking alone down the aisle because my dad doesn't deserve to walk me and my mom doesn't want to (she'd rather watch).   The pastor isn't asking who gives me away or if there is anyone who doesn't think we should be married.  We aren't doing a unity candle because we think it's a little silly and pointless.  I'm not wearing a veil and we aren;t doing the tosses at the reception. Our invites don't have our parents names and are so informal (literally says David adn Christina are getting married. join us at this place at this time).

are any of you doing these traditions or not?  what are your reasons?

Re: throwing away traditions and customs

• We're not doing the tosses, there'll be no "objections" line, I'm not getting "given away," and Fi is taking my last name (which most people will probably freak about when they find out).

We're doing a unity sand because Fi really wanted to do that, and we are not seeing each other from the rehersal to the time I walk down the aisle (again, Fi's choice).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Feb13 Siggy Challenge
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_throwing-away-traditions-and-customs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:6cbf1831-ca9c-4f57-a8cd-c0cb9525933ePost:e210b3ae-5da2-4876-87a7-c8b581a322b2">throwing away traditions and customs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't consider myself offbeat, but there are a lot of wedding traditions I'm not doing...for example: I'm walking alone down the aisle because my dad doesn't deserve to walk me and my mom doesn't want to (she'd rather watch).   The pastor isn't asking who gives me away or if there is anyone who doesn't think we should be married.  We aren't doing a unity candle because <strong>we think it's a little silly and pointless</strong>.  I'm not wearing a veil and we aren;t doing the tosses at the reception. Our invites don't have our parents names and are so informal (literally says David adn Christina are getting married. join us at this place at this time). are any of you doing these traditions or not?  what are your reasons?
    Posted by christinavy[/QUOTE]
    I think it's great that everyone can pick and choose what they want to do these days. And I appreciated that my family respected our decisions and just enjoyed our wedding.

But, I just want to say that I'm really tired of people calling various things names on TK. It's great you do/do not want to do things at your wedding - that's what makes it "you." I got called "tacky" on one board the other day for wearing cowboy boots at my wedding...in a field...in Wyoming. Can we just appreciate that we all do things differently without calling it names? Sorry, end rant.
  • balletdawn: i didn't mean to ofend, so i'm sorry if i did.  i can see how i worded my post in a way that probably wasn't the best.
  • Oh, I know, and I wasn't trying to get on your case really. It was more of a PSA. The reason I love this board is because we appreciate each others differences. The last thing I want is for it to be a negative place.
  • okay, good.

about your boots...i'm shooting a wedding this fall and the bride is wearing cowboy boots too...in a church, in the city.  whatever floats your boat!

• There was a discussion about what current trends we might think were dumb in 20 years. It was started because some of us were talking about people we knew who got married in the 80's - like my sister - huge, poofy shoulders, lots of hot pink, feathered hair, etc. It turned into a rag-fest on all things they thought were dumb/obnoxious/tacky/etc. And boots were one of those things. Yeah, I don't get it. They're super comfy, no one even saw them all night, and they were good on the dance floor. I would totally bust my face in high heels!

here's a pic of me and my girls, and I think we're cute. So there :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards