Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Disposable Underwater Camera

Does anyone have any recommendations for a disposable underwater camera?  We want to go snorkeling on our honeymoon and want to take some pictures.

Also about how much do they run?  Thanks ladies :)

Re: Disposable Underwater Camera

• Options
    If you are just going snorkeling, I'd recommend buying a dry pack for your digital.  They are MUCH cheaper (about $20) than an actual underwater housing and are waterproof up to 20 feet.  I bought mine off of Amazon (LINK) about a year ago and I've used it several times in Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and even just the pool.  Very handy and you can re-use it again and again with a camera you already have.

The only 'complaints' I have about it is that you need to keep a silica gel pack in it otherwise it can get condensation in it, particularly if you are in the heat.  Also, I had issues with positioning it perfectly in the case and would get part of the black lense case in my pictures, but some simple cropping fixed that problem and it's overall an excellent buy.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We tried to use a disposable underwater camera when we went snorkeling once. The pictures weren't very good at all - not enough light.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_disposable-underwater-camera?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:8ddbf9ab-5df6-4c79-9263-ff95a02ed01aPost:7f65d54d-9ce6-4353-8c00-88f69c82e2ff">Re: Disposable Underwater Camera</a>:
    [QUOTE]We tried to use a disposable underwater camera when we went snorkeling once. The pictures weren't very good at all - not enough light.
    Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

This. I really wouldn't waste your money and just enjoy seeing what you can with your own eyes.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    the lack of flash is what is going to ruin underwater pictures- I would check out amazon for a housing for a cheap digital camera- that way your flash will work!
  • Options
    I've used underwater cameras several times while snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef.  Unless you are willing to dive down and get close to what you are photographing, the pictures don't really turn out that well, but if you get close to the coral or whatever, the pictures are decent. 
  • Options
    Great, thanks for all the advice ladies :)
  • Options
    The dive shop I will be working at starting this summer has an underwater camera that works up to 100 feet down, has a flash, and the pictures are decent.  The camera costs $25.  Let me know if you are interested and I can give you the location details.
  • Options
    We needed a new digital camera anyway so we just bought an Olympus waterproof, shock proof camera. Its 14 mexa pixel and is waterproof up to 30 feet or something. It was about $300 on sale at best buy. I think it takes HD video as well. Very excited for our snorkeling!
  • Options
    We used a cheap fuji--$10 at Walmart. We went snorkling, but only took 1 pic b/c FI didn't read the directions and thought it broke after that....turns out he was turning it the wrong way! We didn't go in super deep water, but the 1 pic of the coral was pretty good. We then used it for pics in the pool/ocean where we didn't want to risk dropping my cannon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards