Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

It rained on our wedding day so we had to move the ceremony inside :(

Hey gals!

My wedding was last Friday at the Four Seasons. It was beautiful but 5 min before the ceremony started it started raining so we had to move it inside. It was a nice space, but not what I have been picturing everyday for the last year . Luckily is stopped so we were able to have pictures and the cocktail hour outside as planned. A tent would have been $3000 which was hard to justify since the forcast said 30% chance. Anyways it was a wonderful wedding but i am feeling very sad and having a hard time letting it go. I really want to move on and enjoy being a newlywed, but waves of sadness and dissapointment are getting in the way. I know it sounds petty, but when you work so hard on something for over a year and it doesnt turn out how you pictured it's hard.

Any positive words would be appreciated!

Re: It rained on our wedding day so we had to move the ceremony inside :(

• Options
    I had my heart set on getting married by the water. We found a venue that was amazing, sacrificed to come up with the extra money we needed, and I had a "vision" of my wedding day that I worked very hard towards......then my dress got destroyed at the bridal salon in a fire, and the manager who signed us at our dream venue skipped town with our deposit money, and I'm sure many others.  The venue representative refused to honor our original contract, and proceeded to add on many additional "fees" that were never mentioned, as well as conditions and changes that were different than what we were promised. In the long run, we ended up walking away, and searching for a new venue.

As a result, our whole "picture" has changed. Our photographer has promised me that we will find someplace beautiful by the water to take pics, and I'm sure our wedding will still be beautiful, it just isn't the picture I had in my head for months. Did it make me sad, sure. Was I upset? Absolutely. But I am working hard to alter my perception, and get back into planning with a different vision.

I totally get how you feel. Any bride, including myself, who plans to get married outside is taking a chance on the weather, and hoping for the best. It's a chance we have to take. You had to move inside, but still got pics outside when the weather cleared. That's great!

I am sorry that you are sad it didn't play out as you "pictured", but in the long run, you are married, and that in itself is the true goal.  Make a pretty scrapbook, or find some great frames, and put pictures from your wedding day that you love around. Talk about events that you remember that were positive, and try not to focus on the issues that are making you sad, and above all, try to remember that when all is said and done, these feelings will hopefully fade, and you can move on into living a happy life together as a married couple.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It rained on my wedding day this past Saturday as well and between that and the transportation company being late with the WP limos and my car it screwed things up so badly I could not take the only pictures that I dreamed of taking this entire planning process. But I'm trying to focus on all of the great things that did happen last weekend. I knew it was going to be raining all day when I woke up Saturday morning and I just had to make a conscious decision to let it go and enjoy it for what it was. Besides my coveted portraits with FI immediately after the ceremony we were supposed to do family pictures in a courtyard before the ceremony and have our farewell brunch out there on Sunday too. All moved inside. Not at all what I imagined but it is what it is. Just take some time to feel bad about it for only a certain amount of time longer then make a conscious decision to look at it all differently.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think most brides can think of something that just didn't go as planned or imagined.  For me, it was our dj playing the wrong version of our first dance song....I was and still am ticked about that!
    I also didn't sleep but 2 hours and we were at the salon waaay too long so by the time we got to the venue I had 15 minutes to get dressed and moving....talk about hectic!
    The whole night was a blur and went by so fast!  Too fast!
    But it is what it is and you gotta focus on what did go right and that we are married women now! 
    congrats ladies!
  • Options
    It POURED the day of our wedding. We got married last month. I was devastated. All week the forecast was great then all the sudden Thrusday the forecast said 80% chance of rain. And It freaking downpoured. We were still able to get our pictures outside but the ceremony had to be inside. Honestly looking at the pictures of our ceremony, I don't really notice it. The pictures I focus on during the ceremony are his face and my face, the looks when we see eachother. Those things. I still wish it could have been outside, but it was still great the way it was. It's gone and past, nothing I can do about it now. The wedding was awesome so dwelling on the fact that our ceremony had to be moved isn't worth it to me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Try to think good of it... people say it's good luck when it rains on your wedding Smile
  • Options

Everyone has something go a little bit wrong on thier wedding day. Try to think of it as the story you'll tell later.

If it makes you feel better, our wedding planner ordered all of the wrong coloured linens for our reception, and I didn't find out until 2 hours before the ceremony.  Since we found out so late, there was no rectifying the situation. I had to make peace with the fact that the colours I had chosen for the wedding (Including the ceremony, bridesmaid dress and ALL THE DECORATIONS) were not the colours represented at the reception.

We also had a small mishap with the cake. I had ordered a cupcake cake with a two tiered top peice (a six inch cake placed on a eight inch cake) to place my cake topper. At some point before the ceremony, someone had bumped the table and knocked the cake, topper and stand over.  Not only was my cake completely destroyed but the topper fell to the floor and the bride's head cracked clean off. An ingenious groomsman stuck her head back on with gum (GUM!!) and tried to sheild me from the wreck for the rest of the evening. Most of the cake had to be thrown out.

What did I do about the few details that spun out of contol on my wedding day? Nothing. I told my wedding planner that the linens were no big deal and I was very pleased with all the hard work that she put in to make my day beautiful. After the wedding, I took my poor mangled, stuck together with gum (GUM!!) cake topper and put it on my mantle. We're a few months out from the wedding and I get a good chuckle at it every time I see that poor bride with her head barely fastened with someone's chewing gum. 

I'm sorry that your wedding did not pan out the way that you pleased. If you're having a hard time getting past the rain, just remember that the wedding was just one day. It was a wonderful party to celebrate the first day in the rest of your lives together. Now that you're married, it's time to stop focussing on the wedding and start focussing on your marriage.  

• Options
    EK2013EK2013 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_it-rained-on-our-wedding-day-so-we-had-to-move-the-ceremony-inside?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:c025a5f3-cfaa-4ba7-81d2-84890d359475Post:6c8c09ea-aa96-4986-a326-2c12bfdc08ff">It rained on our wedding day so we had to move the ceremony inside :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey gals! My wedding was last Friday at the Four Seasons. It was beautiful but 5 min before the ceremony started it started raining so we had to move it inside. It was a nice space, but not what I have been picturing everyday for the last year . Luckily is stopped so we were able to have pictures and the cocktail hour outside as planned. A tent would have been $3000 which was hard to justify since the forcast said 30% chance. Anyways it was a wonderful wedding but i am feeling very sad and having a hard time letting it go. I really want to move on and enjoy being a newlywed, but waves of sadness and dissapointment are getting in the way. I know it sounds petty, but when you work so hard on something for over a year and it doesnt turn out how you pictured it's hard. Any positive words would be appreciated!
    Posted by glovesm[/QUOTE]

<div>Same story for me: Pop up thunderstorm 5 minutes before start time (though it lasted through cocktail hour and the first part of the reception).</div><div>
    </div><div>I was so happy in the moment that I keep telling myself it would be insulting to that happiness to wish it happened differently.</div>
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the uplifting words and helpful stories! The sadness is over and I am overjoyed to be married. I am having a small case of the post wedding blues but know it will pass. I mostly miss seeing and talking to everyone I love more often. It brings everyone together, which was wonderful!

Best wishes to everyone in this new chapter in their life.
  • Options
    I love that! Great attitude and sorry you had to deal with the same thing.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_it-rained-on-our-wedding-day-so-we-had-to-move-the-ceremony-inside?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:c025a5f3-cfaa-4ba7-81d2-84890d359475Post:a60f625c-82ae-48e7-ad1a-4cf6883c964d">Re: It rained on our wedding day so we had to move the ceremony inside :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to It rained on our wedding day so we had to move the ceremony inside :( : Same story for me: Pop up thunderstorm 5 minutes before start time (though it lasted through cocktail hour and the first part of the reception). I was so happy in the moment that I keep telling myself it would be insulting to that happiness to wish it happened differently.
    Posted by EK2013[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards