Wedding Reception Forum

"Honeymoon Fund" Instead of Gift Table

My fiance and I are having a "Honeymoon Fund" at the reception, instead of registering for gifts. We are going to New York City on our honeymoon, and we want to decorate the honeymoon table with lots of fun NYC-themed stuff. We are renting a 7 ft. lighted Statue of Liberty to put beside the table. Any ideas of other cool ways we can decorate our "honeymoon table" to make it look fun?

Thanks!

Re: "Honeymoon Fund" Instead of Gift Table

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_honeymoon-fund-instead-of-gift-table?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:6277e262-ef64-4e65-a3e1-ef6d6e9cc4e6Post:95fb674e-776e-41c3-8581-3fa54286cf2d">"Honeymoon Fund" Instead of Gift Table</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are having a "Honeymoon Fund" at the reception, instead of registering for gifts. We are going to New York City on our honeymoon, and we want to decorate the honeymoon table with lots of fun NYC-themed stuff. We are renting a 7 ft. lighted Statue of Liberty to put beside the table. Any ideas of other cool ways we can decorate our "honeymoon table" to make it look fun? Thanks!
    Posted by atron86[/QUOTE]

I concur with PP here.  Look, I know you mean well, but asking for money is rude enough on its own without doing it with a lighted 7 foot statue.  It's so incredibly hard for us, on these boards, to convince a bride that something is rude when she's already convinced herself its okay, so I'm not going to push too hard here.  All I will say is that some of your guests will be offended by this, possibly in a major way.  And some won't.  Some people really don't care about etiquette, or will think it's cute, or whatever.  But some people will.  That's the thing about etiquette.  If you follow it, 100% of your guests will be happy.  If you don't, you never know what'll happen.  Maybe 100% of your guests will still be happy.  Maybe 50% of your guests will be mortally offended and never speak to you again.  Most likely, say 10% of your guests will be seriously offended.  It's the risk you take.  All I can do is recommend that you not do a "honeymoon table" of any sort, or reference gifts at all in your invitation.
  • This is really inappropriate.  

Have a card box and leave it alone.  Asking for cash is such a huge turn off that you'll end up defeating the purpose.  
  • As PP have said it's pretty tacky.  Do a search on the honeymoon board and you will find a million post about this since it's brought up almost daily.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ditto PPs.  Not to mention that by the time people get to your reception, they will already have bought a gift or prepared a card with cash.
  • Ditto Peavy. Please tell me you are not mentioning your HM table in your invitations or on a website. Because that is very rude. And if you are not doing that, then wouldn't guests already have gifts in hand when they show up to your wedding? So even IF your table idea wasn't tacky, I don't see how it would get you what you want. If someone shows up with a physical gift, do you expect them to return it and give you cash instead? People who want to give a card with cash in it will do so, and they can put it in a nice card box without you outright asking for cash.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2012

Just to add to the PPs, the reception is about your wedding, your new life together, etc.  It is not the time to advertise, promote, or ask for gits for, your honeymoon.  Have a nice card box, do a small registry, etc., like the PPs have suggested. 

Besides, like the PP have already stated, people will be arriving with their gifts in hand already.  And no matter how much you hint, etc., there will be many guests who prefer to bring a tradiitional boxed gift so you need to have a place to put them.

• This is so ridiculously tacky and ill mannered she had to be a troll and this HAS to be MUD.  No one would actually go get a Statue of Liberty for a table, right?  Please tell me I'm right.
  • MUD?  Please?

If I showed up to a wedding that had that I wouldn't think its cute or fun, I'd think it was ridiculous.  I'd also wonder why the couple thought it was more important to rent a copy of the statue of liberty as opposed to putting their money towards seeing the real deal.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • If I saw this I'd put the card with a check in it back in my purse.  This has to be the perfect intersection of dumb and rude that I've seen on the TK.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • AshleyN23AshleyN23 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_honeymoon-fund-instead-of-gift-table?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:6277e262-ef64-4e65-a3e1-ef6d6e9cc4e6Post:bd3db028-7297-45ad-8039-c8a25611e644">Re: "Honeymoon Fund" Instead of Gift Table</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to "Honeymoon Fund" Instead of Gift Table : <strong>Please don't do this. It's really rude to outright ask for cash in this fashion. Wedding guests are not dumb.</strong>  They know cash is appreciated by newly married couples. If they want to gift you cash, they will stick it in a card and get it to you.  If you'd prefer cash gifts, don't register or make a very small registry. That is another way to let guests know your preference should they decide to gift you something. If asked at any time, family can also say "Oh, Atron and her Fi have a small registry at X store, but they are saving p for their honeymoon in NYC."
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

Personally, as a guest, this would be much easier then going out and getting something off their registry.  I'd appreciate it.  Plus i'd rather get them something they REALLY wanted versus some crap gift they might end up returning. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_honeymoon-fund-instead-of-gift-table?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:6277e262-ef64-4e65-a3e1-ef6d6e9cc4e6Post:77cd4512-930b-4700-941c-9d5ec9e07f96">Re: "Honeymoon Fund" Instead of Gift Table</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>If I saw this I'd put the card with a check in it back in my purse.  This has to be the perfect intersection of dumb and rude that I've seen on the TK.</strong>
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

Rude party of one!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_honeymoon-fund-instead-of-gift-table?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:6277e262-ef64-4e65-a3e1-ef6d6e9cc4e6Post:af06891e-69ec-4095-8411-e3ef085ac81d">Re: "Honeymoon Fund" Instead of Gift Table</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Honeymoon Fund" Instead of Gift Table : Rude party of one!
    Posted by AshleyN23[/QUOTE]

How is saying I'd take my gift back rude?  I find this whole idea of the OP incredibly offensive and from the rest of the posts here, I'm not the only one, which means she's bound to have guests who feel the same way.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I don't see it as rude at all. She knows her guests better than you do.
  • This isn't a case of knowing her guests, this is a case of being tacky and rude.  What guest truly needs to be told you want cash?  I have a hunch the only ones who think this is a good idea are those asking for cash in one form or another.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards