Snarky Brides
Options

Screaming Babies

We were blessed welcome two new babies into my family this year.  They will both be about 6.5 months old on the wedding day.  We made an obvious exception to our "no children" rule for the babies at the reception.  I did not want to ask anybody to leave their new baby (one breastfed) with a sitter for an entire evening.  I don't have kids, but I don't think I would want to do that myself.

The issue comes in with the ceremony.  I originally planned to hire a sitter to stay at the hotel venue (1 mile from the church) to stay with the two infants for the ceremony.  I've waited my whole life for my wedding day and the only part of the day that I'd really like to go as close to perfect as possible is our actual exchanging of vows.  I really don't want to be trying to speak over a crying baby in our small church.  After speaking with the parents that said it was an okay plan but I could tell by their tone that they weren't REALLY comfortable with the idea.  I DO NOT want anybody to been even the slightest bit uncomfortable with the childcare situation.  The result... I'm going to tell them to just bring the infants to the ceremony if they would like. 

My question is:  Is there a polite way to say to new parents that if the baby starts loudly fussing, could they please excuse themselves until little Johnny is settled?  For me, this would be an obvious thing to do.  I'd never sit through somebody's wedding with my baby screaming... but I've seen one of these mothers do this during a regular Sunday church service.  Am I being a bitch or is there a nice way to ask this? 

Re: Screaming Babies

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_screaming-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:83d5e674-23da-4612-974d-130b89a69851Post:19f9fc2a-f4a3-4e06-adc2-00032489cf88">Screaming Babies</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were blessed welcome two new babies into my family this year.  They will both be about 6.5 months old on the wedding day.  We made an obvious exception to our "no children" rule for the babies at the reception.  I did not want to ask anybody to leave their new baby (one breastfed) with a sitter for an entire evening.  I don't have kids, but I don't think I would want to do that myself. The issue comes in with the ceremony.  I originally planned to hire a sitter to stay at the hotel venue (1 mile from the church) to stay with the two infants for the ceremony.  I've waited my whole life for my wedding day and the only part of the day that I'd really like to go as close to perfect as possible is our actual exchanging of vows.  I really don't want to be trying to speak over a crying baby in our small church.  After speaking with the parents that said it was an okay plan but I could tell by their tone that they weren't REALLY comfortable with the idea.  I DO NOT want anybody to been even the slightest bit uncomfortable with the childcare situation.  The result... I'm going to tell them to just bring the infants to the ceremony if they would like.  My question is:  Is there a polite way to say to new parents that if the baby starts loudly fussing, could they please excuse themselves until little Johnny is settled?  For me, this would be an obvious thing to do.  I'd never sit through somebody's wedding with my baby screaming... but I've seen one of these mothers do this during a regular Sunday church service.  Am I being a bitch or is there a nice way to ask this? 
    Posted by EricaDawn1986[/QUOTE]

I think most parents know if their baby startus crying or fussy during something that they should step out. I wouldn't remind them of that, it could come of as condescending.
  • Options
    There is no polite way to bring it up, you just have to hope they have to the sense to know it. I am surprised at how many people do not know it, actually 

This is one of those details I would not got overly concerned about. When you exchange vows I do not think there is much in the world that could distract you from each other.
  • Options
    One of the mothers I'm not too concerned about... but the other (who must be seated in the second row) is one of those who will let her baby scream in church, in a movie, wherever she is because "people understand he's a baby and babies cry." 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_screaming-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:83d5e674-23da-4612-974d-130b89a69851Post:3110205c-ff88-4816-ab90-ada7dcf6b65f">Re: Screaming Babies</a>:
    [QUOTE]One of the mothers I'm not too concerned about... but the other (who must be seated in the second row) is one of those who will let her baby scream in church, in a movie, wherever she is because "people understand he's a baby and babies cry." 
    Will she have any of her family there? Sometimes grandmas and aunts are very good about grabbing the baby and running them out.

At the last wedding I went to a baby started screaming during the ceremony. The mom walked her out but you could hear her for a while. Everyone just laughed though and they joked about in the toasts later. It's really not that big of a deal.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_screaming-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:83d5e674-23da-4612-974d-130b89a69851Post:a511866d-8b7d-4463-8b1c-e05966455166">Re: Screaming Babies</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Screaming Babies : I think <strong>most </strong>parents know if their baby startus crying or fussy during something that they should step out.
    Posted by nda_roxybabe[/QUOTE]

In this country in this day and age, I don't count on that anymore lol.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    Does the church have a nursery or toddler room where the sitter can watch the babies? That way they are closer to the parents than a hotel room a mile away. A lot of churches also now have pagers that they give the parents. If the baby gets upset, they send a silent page to the parent, the parent then knows to leave the sanctuary and go to the nursery.  Possibly your church has a similar set up - if they don't have pagers the sitter might be able to text the parents to have them come to the sancturary.  Ask the parents to be sure to sit at the end f an aisle. If your church as the center aisle and outside aisles, ask them to sit at the end of an outside aisle.  That way if they do have to leave it will be as unobstrusive as possible.

You might have to pay a fee to use the nursery/toddler room but I wouldn't think it would be more than $25 or $50 and it would give everyone more peace of mind.

These are family members that you are talking about and hopefully you can talk them without anyone being offended.
  • Options
    She will have family there.  I just don't think it would occur to her to "hand her baby off" to her mother or another family member... unless I let her know.  I was thinking something along the lines of...

"Hey Soandso.... I could kinda tell when we talked the other day that you weren't super comfortable leaving Junior with a sitter during the ceremony.  If you'd like to bring him with you, we'd be happy to have him.  The only reason we were considering a sitter in the first place is because we were nervous about two upset babies during what I'm hoping will be a sentimental ceremony.  If Junior starts getting really upset, would you mind stepping out until he calms down a little bit?" 

Super-mega rude?
  • Options
    I think it's good of you to be understanding and accommodating.  I know a lot of brides who wouldn't be showing the same consideration, so there's a plus.

I assume there's not a crying room at your church?  I guess probably not since you probably would have said so.

Yeah, I guess I echo the sentiment that it might come off as rude to instruct them to remove the babies if they scream... BUT I might suggest that since they're in your family, I assume there are other close relatives that maybe you can pass the message through.  Like, your mom/grandma?  Not sure the family dynamics, obviously, but maybe someone could take charge of the situation during the ceremony while you are unable to.
  • Options
    The church doesn't have a nursery/ baby room.  I WISH!
  • Options

I don't think it sounds megabitchy. You know your relationship with her, and if you are close enough I think it's fine to mention "There is a cry room located at the back of the church incase baby gets upset."

• Options
    Could the sitter be at the church with baby in the back row? Then Mom could be right there too, but sitter could be the one responsible for taking baby out if need be.

Also, a baby cried all through our ceremony. The mom brought her to the cry room, but really it was no big deal. We were otherwise occupied by the whole vows thing and didn't even really notice.
  • Options
    It may not dawn on her to pass the baby to grandma but maybe grandma will be wise enough to know, and take the baby herself.

I just feel like telling someone to take their baby out if the cry comes off as bossy. Like you know better how to handle the child than they do (even if it is the case haha)
  • Options
    Yeah, you can't really say that without looking like an a$$hole. 
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I would tell her in the way you described.  Mostly because she sounds horribly rude, you know she won't think to be considerate, so I would tell her. 
  • Options
    I'm  sorry Mica, but I don't think having the Pastor give the mothers a lecture is a good idea at all. I would say it is terribly condescending and unnecessary.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_screaming-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:83d5e674-23da-4612-974d-130b89a69851Post:5f44dce3-6bc7-469b-a4c1-b85a698d920d">Re: Screaming Babies</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Screaming Babies : In this country in this day and age, I don't count on that anymore lol.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]
    I have to agree with this. I find a LOT of parents feel that they are entitled to do whatever they want because they procreated and it doesnt matter to it inconveniences or disturbs. Just assuming that they will know to leave while the baby cries doesnt really work.

That said, I also think telling them in advance they should leave if he cries isnt acceptable. Its just one of those things you just have to put up with. Be safe in the knowledge that all of the guests will be shooting the mom dirty looks the entire time on your behalf.
  • Options
    You should have a kid free wedding if you think the screaming might be a problem to you. How important are these two family members? How long is the ceremony? Talking to the parents beforehand might come off as a lecture. FWIW, we had my niece at my ceremony and she stayed quiet the entire time.

Mica, I don't think it's the preacher's place to give the new moms lectures.
  • Options
    Our wedding is "no kids" with the exception of the two infants.  One is the baby sister of our flower girl.  The mother only allows family to watch her baby and the entire family is coming to the wedding.  The other infant is breastfed (this is the mom I'm concerned about).  I don't mind having them at the reception and if they cry at the reception, I doubt I'll even notice. 

You've all given great suggestions!  It's a fairly short wedding (30 minutes tops).  It's not a full mass or anything so hopefully the babies will just sleep through it with any luck.  I think I'm going to say what I wrote before... and let her know of the lobby off to the side where she can pop out if the baby really starts crying.  She may think me rude for a few days I guess but it's worth it to me to have a smooth/ screaming-free ceremony.  I really hope this doesn't even become an issue and we have quiet and well behaved babies. 
  • Options
    Mica singling out two people is a little different than asking an entire crowd of people to do something. Also, it's really not the pastor's job to speak to the guests about this. I would not care if the bride pulled me aside and asked me to take my baby elsewhere if he/she started crying, but you never know how other people will react. Why take the chance in really offending their guests by having someone else telling them they need to take their children elsewhere if they start crying?

Ericka- Since your ceremony is only 30 min long, I would not worry too much.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_screaming-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:83d5e674-23da-4612-974d-130b89a69851Post:56f2239e-7caa-4d6e-898b-a26f5b6525a9">Re: Screaming Babies</a>:
    [QUOTE]First we are having a child free wedding and reception for this exact reason.  If you haven't told the mothers already that they can bring their babies I say don't.  If they don't  like your plan, let them come up with their own.  There is no reason you should have to tolerate a screaming baby dutrring your wedding.  If you can not bring yourself to do that then I would hire the sitter to sit with the babies at the church, either in another room or in the back of the church.  If there is no room outside the ceremony location available which I would be very surprised by,<strong> I would then have your pastor make it clear to the mothers that this is the most important day of your and FI's life and that the babies must be removed if they begin to fuss and that they can allow the sitter to do it or they themselves will have to. </strong> Good luck!
    Posted by mica001[/QUOTE]

Barf. What a horrible idea. What on earth would make you think it's okay for the pastor to play bad cop in this situation? Jesus.

If you don't want babies screaming, don't invite them. But if you do invite them, you just relax and deal with it if they cry. It's really a fairly simple choice that people seem to enjoy having a fucking coronary over.
  • Options
    Mica- I would say that grown adults do not need a talking to from a stranger to be told how to behave. And honestly
    "I would then have your pastor make it clear to the mothers that this is the most important day of your and FI's life and that the babies must be removed if they begin to fuss and that they can allow the sitter to do it or they themselves will have to."

is totally a lecture. I am sure both of these women know that the wedding is important. They need not be told. If the pastor took me aside to say this to me, I would get up and leave right then and there.

Also, if we are talking about the Pastor's rules, children are always more than welcome in church.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_screaming-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:83d5e674-23da-4612-974d-130b89a69851Post:d7d31303-ee00-4de2-b2e9-3f9173474648">Re: Screaming Babies</a>:
    [QUOTE] If the pastor took me aside to say this to me, I would get up and leave right then and there.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

Yep.
  • Options
    Problem solved.... the Dad of the baby who is my Grandfather (yupp... that's right my Grandfather married a younger woman and my infant uncle is the child I'm concered about lol... dsyfunction junction) just called and thanked me for letting the baby be at the ceremony cus it made his wife a lot more comfortable.  I just said that we are really excited the baby is going to be part of the day but if he gets fussy, if she could please just take him to the lobby.  He said it was no problem at all and he'd let her know. 

I feel silly for getting all worked up.  It just seems like women can react really defensively (even if that's not how it's meant) when it comes to their babies.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_screaming-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:83d5e674-23da-4612-974d-130b89a69851Post:08984167-0335-4920-927a-6cec3f661a46">Re: Screaming Babies</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Our wedding is "no kids" with the exception of the two infants.  One is the baby sister of our flower girl.</strong>  The mother only allows family to watch her baby and the entire family is coming to the wedding.  The other infant is breastfed (this is the mom I'm concerned about).

Funny, because unless your flower girl is 18, then she's probably considered a kid, too.  Right?

So, it's not 'no kids'.  Just to clear that up.

• Options
    Sorry... I guess I should have clarified... It's no kids.

EXCEPTIONS:  The FG/RB (both are VERY close to me and my FI) and infants (there are just the two babies).  IMO Even if you have a "no kids" wedding, you still have to allow for infants (espeically if they are breastfeeding). 
  • Options
    Ok, but it's really a 'select kids' wedding, and I'm not referring to the infants.

• Options
    I'm glad everything worked out well but if someone had said what you originally typed to me I would be incredibly pissed. It's like when someone lectured me about how I should pick up after my dog if she pooped, before she did anything. Gee thanks for insinuating I don't know wtf I'm doing. I know that's not how you intend the statement to be, but that's how it comes off as sounding.
  • Options
    If you must nit-pick.  Whatever, it's a "select" kids wedding.
  • Options
    Also (not to start a debate or anything) I don't think we can entirely blame this on entitled parents either. Most people I know who are more AP oriented (but not bsc) would immediately remove a crying infant from a situation to soothe them. My friends who are more in the CIO camp often will not. I once sat in a restaurant with a crying 1 1/2 year old because the mom refused to take her outside since that's what she wanted and she needed to learn that crying would not get her anywhere.
  • Options
    I'm actually fairly patient when it comes to kids most of the time I think.  A family restaurant, a store, even a regular Sunday church service... I'm not bothered by it.  Kids cry and parents can't always stop what they are doing to cater to it.  I understand that. 

I just think a wedding is a different story.  The bride and groom only get one moment like that.... to walk down the aisle and say their vows.  I just think it's something to be respected.  If you're choosing to bring your baby (because you're uncomfortable with somebody babysitting) than please take the child to the lobby if the waterworks start.  I don't think I'm asking anything a reasonable person wouldn't do. 

Either way, it worked out.  Nobody felt insulted (my grandfather just seemed happy the baby could come at all).  I was trying to avoid talking to this woman like your're saying katiewhompus.  The last thing I want to do is insult a close family member and come off like a baby-hating bridezilla.  The little guy is my Godson and they know I love him to pieces.  I just feel like my FI and I deserve a half hour of respect. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards