Christian Weddings

Christian Wedding Reception - DJ?

I'd like to have a Christian wedding recpetion without alcohol. Do you know any good Christian DJ's in NY/NJ area? Or any reception ideas? THanks!

Re: Christian Wedding Reception - DJ?

• Your local board might be able to help you better if you haven't already tried that yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Your local board may have some ideas.  Also try asking around your church to see if anybody knows anybody.  We made CDs with the songs we wanted and a man from our church with a sound system MC'd.  
  • You can definitely just ask DJ's in your area if they will only play certain types of music. I assume you don't want any rap, there will be DJ's that are totally okay with this. Just ask around!

First Look
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • depending on your venue, you may even be able to rig an iPod to some good speakers so that you can control exactly what songs are played. 

we found a DJ who lets you request custom songs not in their database online.  we requested a lot of christian songs that way.
  • ps-try calling your local christian radio station!!  the DJs who work there might DJ for weddings too.

• It doesn't neccessarily HAVE to be a Christian DJ, if you can't find one. Our DJ wasn't specifically a "Christian DJ" (although I *think* he was a Christian). But I asked him to play mostly Christian music during dinner and he said he had a lot of Mercy Me, Steven Curtis Chapman, etc. He played it as I requested. I also had certain artists I didn't want played and he stuck to that. He got the song I wanted for our first dance, which was a Christian song and he also stuck to my guidelines of no swearing or inappropriate content in the other songs he played. He had a website where I could choose songs I definitely wanted, songs I might want and songs I definitely didn't want. He also got any song I wanted that he didn't have in his database. I think most good DJ's would do that for you, Christian or not. 
  • Think about looking at DJs that aren't necessarily Christian. You might get a better deal if you have more options. Our DJ is not Christian but is being very involved with us about song selection. I imagine most DJs are this way. Basically we don't want anything vulgar or with cursing. I think most DJs would be very understanding of that. We also get to go through various genres of music and decide what we want and what we don't want. It's going very well.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_christian-wedding-reception-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:51b1959d-f9d0-4342-b394-3c59a34e2221Post:c8eaf0a1-1584-461b-b8a4-842fdee7e6b2">Christian Wedding Reception - DJ?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd like to have a Christian wedding recpetion without alcohol. Do you know any good Christian DJ's in NY/NJ area? Or any reception ideas? THanks!
    Posted by jcho1020[/QUOTE]

<div>Hi, </div><div>
    </div><div>   I'm a Christian, a Wedding Entertainment Director and a morning show host for a Christian radio station.  There have been some good suggestions here: calling a Christian radio station could be a good place to start, but radio experience doesn't mean they'll have wedding experience, so ask how many weddings they have done and to see their reviews.  </div><div>   Of all your expenses for your wedding, you don't want to go cheap in this area.  You want people to have a great time - that's why you're going to all this trouble!  A year after you wedding, no one will remember how good (or bad) the chicken was and that your dress was beautiful, but if they had a wonderful time - they'll remember that. Or if your entertainer flops, they're sure to remember how bad it was!  Here is an example of a DJ with just enough experience to ruin your wedding: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifza_jbmBFg" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifza_jbmBFg</a>  </div><div>
    </div><div>   A secular DJ may work if you meet them in person, early in the process and you can tell that they totally "get" that you want clean entertainment.  DJ services that have multiple DJs are a little tricky because you don't know the DJ who will be assigned to your event, so make sure you meet with the actual DJ who will do your event, not just the company rep. Music can be a "clean edit" and still have a dirty meaning, so your DJ must have discernment.  </div><div>
    </div><div>ISomething else to consider is: do you want dancing, activities or just background music?  Some Christians don't want dancing, but are happy with, non-cheesy activities your entertainer can lead.  You can do anything from the Shoe Game (<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmVw5A53Rxs" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmVw5A53Rxs</a>) to popular Sing-A-Long songs.  If you aren't going to dance, your entertainer needs to be able to lead other fun activities.</div><div>
    </div><div>I hope this helps!</div><div>
    </div><div>Kelly Shank</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards