Snarky Brides
Options

More on TSA Pat Downs

I came across a blog entry regarding an embarassing reason for a pat down.

http://blogs.chron.com/hottopics/2010/11/female_passenger_subjected_to_patdown_after_her_sanitar.html

I am already a little freaked out at the idea of being patted down when I fly in the future (no current plans to do so). 

What are your thoughts?
Anniversary

Re: More on TSA Pat Downs

• Options
    Y I OughtaY I Oughta member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2010

That's really messed up. What caught my eye was reusable sanitary napkin. Never heard of those.

20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My thoughts are that I don't understand why this couldn't go in the original (and still active) thread.  But...uh...yeah.  They saw something suspicious, and patted her down.  That's what those things are for.  I'm glad for it.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Breaking news:  women menstruate. 

I don't think it's all that horrible, or at least not as horrible as a hidden bomb on an airplane. 

One of my transgender friends (okay, my only transgender friend), though, has posted articles on FB about transgendered people getting pulled & patted down because their gender identity doesn't match their genitalia.  Then there's the issue of whether a man or a woman should do the patdown - most TG people say they want to be patted down by a person of the same gender that they are presenting as, but some feel differently. 

I honestly hadn't thought about that - it's a disparate impact on these citizens, and it's really unfair.  Whether that's enough to jettison the whole idea, I dont' know, but it certainly does suck for them. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tsa-pat-downs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:30391973-e1d9-485b-8a28-4e5d1363357bPost:9289d327-be77-4f3e-8c53-4da287a2c534">Re: More on TSA Pat Downs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Breaking news:  women menstruate.  I don't think it's all that horrible, or at least not as horrible as a hidden bomb on an airplane.  One of my transgender friends (okay, my only transgender friend), though, has posted articles on FB about transgendered people getting pulled & patted down because their gender identity doesn't match their genitalia.  Then there's the issue of whether a man or a woman should do the patdown - most TG people say they want to be patted down by a person of the same gender that they are presenting as, but some feel differently.  I honestly hadn't thought about that - it's a disparate impact on these citizens, and it's really unfair.  Whether that's enough to jettison the whole idea, I dont' know, but it certainly does suck for them. 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

This is a valid issue indeed. I'm sorry if your friend is going through that, and that others are going through it too. What a tough situation, especially when even through requesting the gender-preferred TSA agent, they have to "come out" as transgender.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    So if I'm using a tampon, I might be subject to a pat down?

I'm all for pat downs and scans and whatnot but seriously, how the hell can sanitary products show up as unusual.  Like, yeah, I can bleed for a week, that doesn't make me a terrorist.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tsa-pat-downs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:30391973-e1d9-485b-8a28-4e5d1363357bPost:983310fb-5c8f-4c66-9500-5b2041e6164b">Re: More on TSA Pat Downs</a>:
    [QUOTE]So if I'm using a tampon, I might be subject to a pat down? I'm all for pat downs and scans and whatnot but seriously, how the hell can sanitary products show up as unusual.  Like, yeah, I can bleed for a week, that doesn't make me a terrorist.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I'm guessing it's because underwear bomb guy had explosive shitt (no pun intended) in his... underwear. So logically, any pad on a woman could contain the same thing?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tsa-pat-downs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:30391973-e1d9-485b-8a28-4e5d1363357bPost:983310fb-5c8f-4c66-9500-5b2041e6164b">Re: More on TSA Pat Downs</a>:
    [QUOTE]So if I'm using a tampon, I might be subject to a pat down? I'm all for pat downs and scans and whatnot but seriously, how the hell can sanitary products show up as unusual.  Like, yeah, I can bleed for a week, that doesn't make me a terrorist.

Yeah, but I assume the size and the shape of it could be a lot of things.  And I can just see some smart terrorist thinking "Hey...if we made a bomb about a half inch wide and 3 inches long, someone could shove it up their vag and the screeners would just think it was a tampon!!!"

• Options
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tsa-pat-downs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:30391973-e1d9-485b-8a28-4e5d1363357bPost:2c284e68-c529-467e-9938-1070b519831b">Re: More on TSA Pat Downs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: More on TSA Pat Downs : Sadly, I'm guessing it's because underwear bomb guy had explosive shitt (no pun intended) in his... underwear. So logically, any pad on a woman could contain the same thing?
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]

Yeah, logically. 

My family and I flew to Hawaii right after 9/11 and they confiscated my then 10 year old sister's school scissors at the airport.  They were in her backpack with the rest of her homework.  You know, the little ones with the plastic handles and blunted edges.  I know they HAD to be taken because they were not allowed, but still... lol, my little blond-haired sister felt like a terrorist.  I know that there are rules they have to abide by and that they can't make exceptions.  I just can't imagine getting beeped and having to get searched because I was wearing a panty liner.

They did give them back to us when we came home, though!  Haha.
    panther
  • Options
    So...don't be on your period when flying. Got it.

I have no problem with the scanners, really. I'm okay with them and understand their need. But I don't know that I could handle some stranger "lingering" in my groin area. I think I would have a panic attack. Or get really, really angry.
  • Options
    Aw, your poor little sis! That's interesting that they still put them on the plane though. I'd feel pretty badly throwing away a kid's school scissors too!

• Options
    Actually they kept them at the airport while we were on vacation and when we came home, they gave them back to her!  Gotta love ND airports :)
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tsa-pat-downs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:30391973-e1d9-485b-8a28-4e5d1363357bPost:7182acb4-fcf9-41e5-82b8-5f4c4acf146a">Re: More on TSA Pat Downs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually they kept them at the airport while we were on vacation and when we came home, they gave them back to her!  Gotta love ND airports :)

Whoa, that's pretty nice! I've been to the Fargo airport, and I can see that happening. What a nice bunch of folks you all are. ;) Out here that would never happen, probably just from the sheer volume of people coming and going. Oh, and probably because two of the 9/11 planes took off from here. They just throw your shitt away if it violates the rules, no matter what it is.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tsa-pat-downs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:30391973-e1d9-485b-8a28-4e5d1363357bPost:05713bfe-9785-4bca-8ab0-09ebd4664619">Re: More on TSA Pat Downs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: More on TSA Pat Downs : This is a valid issue indeed. I'm sorry if your friend is going through that, and that others are going through it too. What a tough situation, especially when even through requesting the gender-preferred TSA agent, they have to "come out" as transgender.
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is really is a terrible situation for some people.  And it works against the poor TSA agents, too - if a TG woman, for example, identifies as a woman and requests a woman pat her down, well then the TSA female agent, who didn't sign on to touch peen, for god's sake, is suddenly in the position of touching peen.
  • Options
    I don't really care about the TSA thing, scan me, pat me, whatever. But wtf is this:

"reusable sanitary napkin showed up on the body scanner...She e-mailed
    www.gladrags.com/">GladRags, the makers of her flannel feminine product."

Reusable flannel feminine product made by Glad? As in the garbage bag people? I've never heard of such a thing. Has anyone?

Photobucket
  • Options
    It's not the glad garbage bag people, lol.  Gladrags have been around for awhile - they're popular here in hippy-dippy Madison. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tsa-pat-downs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:30391973-e1d9-485b-8a28-4e5d1363357bPost:95c3371a-1f8e-4e82-8512-eda578779d85">Re: More on TSA Pat Downs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: More on TSA Pat Downs : Yes, it is really is a terrible situation for some people.  And it works against the poor TSA agents, too - if a TG woman, for example, identifies as a woman and requests a woman pat her down, well then the TSA female agent, who didn't sign on to touch peen, for god's sake, is suddenly in the position of touching peen.

Exactly. I wish there was a better way.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tsa-pat-downs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:30391973-e1d9-485b-8a28-4e5d1363357bPost:b5bed742-6344-472b-a013-6df1f9a8ffcf">Re: More on TSA Pat Downs</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's not the glad garbage bag people, lol.  Gladrags have been around for awhile - they're popular here in hippy-dippy Madison. 

Ok good, my next question was going to be if Hefty made a competing reusable product lol.

Photobucket
  • Options
    LOL at hefty.  At first they sound gross, but people reuse diapers and those get filled with actual shiit.   People reuse handkerchiefs, even after a bloody nose. 
  • Options
    I wonder if disposable feminine products show up the same way.  I don't see why they wouldn't, yet we haven't heard anything about that yet.  At least, I haven't. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tsa-pat-downs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:30391973-e1d9-485b-8a28-4e5d1363357bPost:887fd9df-44f9-4edc-94d1-b528ed7008f5">Re: More on TSA Pat Downs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: More on TSA Pat Downs : I got a kick out of it being flannel.  I picture Al from Home Improvement taking old flannel shirts and making them into pads LOL.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]

That's what really caught my eye too and the name b/c I automatically thought of garbage bags. I assumed the reusable thing was akin to cloth diapers, but flannel, I mean I guess it's a denser cotton... I digress I don't want to think about the details of it too much.

Photobucket
  • Options
    I just think the article is interesting because they are only using female examples. I'd feel violated as hell if someone "lingered in my groin area," especially because I clicked the link in the article that led to the other article about TSA workers not changing their gloves and potentially spreading diseases like herpes, syphillis, and other things I can't spell. Oh hell no.

My poor grandma gets pulled aside for a scan almost every time she flies. Does this look like the face of a terrorist?! Poor Grandma!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tsa-pat-downs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:30391973-e1d9-485b-8a28-4e5d1363357bPost:170e3cce-5453-4e0d-80fc-126aa3b37120">Re: More on TSA Pat Downs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just think the article is interesting because they are only using female examples. I'd feel violated as hell if someone "lingered in my groin area," especially because I clicked the link in the article that led to the other article about TSA workers not changing their gloves and potentially spreading diseases like herpes, syphillis, and other things I can't spell. Oh hell no. My poor grandma gets pulled aside for a scan almost every time she flies. Does this look like the face of a terrorist?! Poor Grandma!
    Posted by JennaV26[/QUOTE]

Jenna I love your Grandma, she's adorable!

Photobucket
  • Options
    anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2010
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I've got a girlfriend who is Supermom with three kids and she swears by cloth diapers.  I have no idea - apparently, they are amazing, or something, and plus by washing and re-using them you're being friendly to the environment.  I understand why someone would want to use a cloth diaper or re-usable pad or whatever - I just have no interest in it.[/QUOTE]
    I'm 99% sure I'll be using cloth diapers when and if I get the chance.  Cleaning them though?  ewww.  That's why man invented "diaper service"
  • Options
    TSA scanners wouldn't see anything INSIDE the body (if the online pictures are any indication). Basically, it can just see through your clothes, so they're not going to see anything unless it's either in a body cavity or implanted. So at least we know any bombs on a person now have to be tiny tampon-sized or implanted, which is pretty tough to do.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tsa-pat-downs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:30391973-e1d9-485b-8a28-4e5d1363357bPost:7932b07c-4a13-4c26-8ac4-a0bd6b9a8183">Re: More on TSA Pat Downs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: More on TSA Pat Downs : My brother was behind a little ole lady who also got a pat down.  They even were looking through her hair.  WTF?  They're going to find a bomb in her hair? 
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

Would you prefer they profile people?

• Options
    Dear Lord. They aren't lingering anywhere, and the gloves have to be changed, because they scan THEM for bomb residue. I watched my patter take a pair out of the box and put them on in front of me. When she was done, she took them off, to prepare for the next lady who set off the alarm.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tsa-pat-downs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:30391973-e1d9-485b-8a28-4e5d1363357bPost:ff325d5c-7c7c-452d-81f9-c75f44a91f91">Re: More on TSA Pat Downs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: More on TSA Pat Downs : Wouldn't the alarm have gone off if there were something in her hair?  This was before the scanners.  She didn't set off the metal detector.  She was just pulled for random screening.  I would understand searching IN her hair if she had set off the metal detector.  It just seems a little, no, a lot, over the top.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

But if someone gets pulled for a random search I want TSA to be consistent, and doing the best job possible.  Even if that means my grandma gets her hair searched. 

• Options
    They searched my hair when I got pulled for a search.  They made me take my ponytail out and shake out my hair.  I honestly didn't see the issue. 

I think everyone gets so up in arms about little kids and the eldery getting searched because they think there is NO WAY that 80 year old white woman could be a terrorist.  I think everyone is so stuck on what they think a terrorist looks like that they refuse to accept that an 80 year old white woman COULD be a terrorist. 

• Options
    I got pulled the very first time I ever flew a few years ago.

I just dont care, as long as I am safe. If they want to feel my sanitary napkin,have at it. But I usually schedule my vacations around my TOM. DH just got home from Germant and Spain and he had no issues, as long as he went through the metal detector they didnt pat him down.

And I'm with OWN how unfortunate for everyone invloved in the TG scenario.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Hmmm. An anonymous woman gets pulled out and searched because of a reusable pad and is so thoroughly tramautized that the immediate course of action she takes is to... write an email to the company that makes the reusable pad? No mention of where this woman was traveling, no mention of an airport.

Am I the only cynic around here? A basic google search doesn't turn up any reputable sources for what happened? I dunno, it just seems a little too convenient to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards