Texas-Austin

Honeyfund...in case you havent heard

I found this today through a link of another knottie....I thought it was an AMAZING idea!
Some brides/families do not really see it as proper etiquette, but both of our families are laid back and praise the idea of not shopping for another crockpot! :) (We have also registered at Target and Bed Bath & Beyond for the traditional folk.)

You go on the website www.honeyfund.com and you sign up. You decide what extras you would like for your honeymoon (like snorkeling or scuba diving) you can split the price us as cheap as you want. Your guests can go on and pay through paypal and it goes directly into your paypal account. It doesnt charge your guest anything to give you the money but paypal charges you 3% to receive it. I've had years of experience with paypal and I've never had a problem with them.

Anyway, if your family is laid back like ours this could be an option for you! Just thought I would share! :)
My Bio - From beginning to end, see how I planned my wedding on my Bio Website! "There will be a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour

Re: Honeyfund...in case you havent heard

• edited December 2011
    I found this today through a link of another knottie....I thought it was an AMAZING idea!
    Some brides/families do not really see it as proper etiquette, but both of our families are laid back and praise the idea of not shopping for another crockpot! :) (We have also registered at Target and Bed Bath & Beyond for the traditional folk.)

You go on the website www.honeyfund.com and you sign up. You decide what extras you would like for your honeymoon (like snorkeling or scuba diving) you can split the price us as cheap as you want. Your guests can go on and pay through paypal and it goes directly into your paypal account. It doesnt charge your guest anything to give you the money but paypal charges you 3% to receive it. I've had years of experience with paypal and I've never had a problem with them.

Anyway, if your family is laid back like ours this could be an option for you! Just thought I would share! :)
    My Bio - From beginning to end, see how I planned my wedding on my Bio Website! "There will be a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WHy not just accept cash gifts from your guests and save yourself the 3%. Seems like a waste of money to me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • laleighmoorelaleighmoore member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is the exact site we will be using. Why not just ask for money? Because with this site you can specify ways your family/friends can contribute. It could be $50 towards your flights or even toward a new fridge... you can make it as custom as you want. And for all the nay-sayers that think its rude to ask your friends and family to pay for your honeymoon not only can it be MORE than that but this way you can have a unique way of thanking them. My fiance and I have a house STOCKED of everything we need already, Pfaltzgraf dishes (spelling? I dont care, its nice stuff and was a gift YEARS ago) full furniture and decor... we dont need houseware. AND we thought it would be extra special for those friends and family that contributed to our honeymoon to take pics of us doing each thing and enclose them with the Thank-Yous when we return. Ex: $50 toward horseback riding on the beach in Hawaii - take a pic of the ride and send to the people that made it possible. This is far from rude and a very unique and thoughtful means of thanking everyone. Or you could take a pic of you cooking eggs in frying pan someone bought you? Not nearly as cool! I would say its definitely a good thing for the non-traditional brides with non-traditional families.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

we're using honefund.com as our main registry as well.  we're both in our early 30s and are very blessed to have all the dishes, blenders, etc.  we already had to consolidate our two fully furnished/equipped houses into one and the idea of registering for more things just seems wasteful in our situation.  my family and friends know that i've favored experiences versus possessions my entire adult life and travel has been a big part of FI's & my relationsip - so i'm hoping that his fam & friends will be receptive to the idea as well.  we're also planning to send pictures of us zorbing down the hill in NZ or what not, as thank you cards. 

• edited December 2011
    Some people dont like to just hand you cash...so we wanted to give them a unique option where they could give cash in a fun way. I agree with laleighmoore my fiance is a chef so the LAST thing we need is something for our kitchen. A lot of people dont know what to buy so they just pick something in the kitchen isle at Target and WalMart. We wanted them to give us money and be able to choose where we spend it. Like I said, it's not for everyone and I'm not putting "Cash accepted" in the Registry area on our website or on the invites....so this is just an alternative. Anyway, again, not for everyone. :)
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing this as our main registry with a second registry at Target.  We've been living together, so we need very few items for the house.  We're a little broke from the wedding mess, but still want a great honeymoon.  I was worried people would be offended until my sister-in-law told me how much people loved it for a wedding she recently attended.  How blah to buy someone a blender when you could be buying them a fun memory.
  • edited December 2011
    We are using this and everyone freakin' LOVES it! FYI - There is no transaction charge to accept gifts unless you allow them to pay by credit card through PayPal (which we are doing for convenience) which is 2%. We got the Premium site at Honeyfund which was $29 and totally worth it for the added features and no ads on the site.
    ~ Trish Finfer
    Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards