Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

New monogram before I'm married?

This may be a silly, superstitious question, but here goes: is it bad luck to buy something with my new monogram before my wedding? I'm thinking of buying button-down shirts for all the maids and moms to get ready in, each with our initials. But I'd rather get mine with my new last name initial so I could wear it after the wedding. If I buy it to wear the day-of just to get ready, is that bad luck? Should I just suck it up and get my old last name?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: New monogram before I'm married?

• 1) You shouldn't use your new last name before you're married.
    2) People are going to tell you buying button-downs with monograms for your BP are a waste of money.  Most woun't ever use them again.

Just something to think about.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited June 2012
    I've seen a lot of brides wear hoodies or shirts with Mrs. NewLastName on them on their wedding day while getting ready. For me, that's different than sending things out in the mail using a return address label with your married name prior to marrying. I don't see an issue with the former but would not do the latter.

However, I would REALLY re-think the matching button downs for your BMs. Most people don't wear button downs, and if they do, they wouldn't want to wear a monogrammed one. This is pretty much only something they can use on your wedding day and then it will probably end up in a closet or donated. It's your money, so you can buy them for your WP if you want, but I think it'd be a waste.

Edited for clarity

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Thanks for your thoughts. I hadn't thought of that. I just a cute picture on Pinterest and said, "I WANT THAT!" Thanks for the reality check! I will do some more thinking on this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I bought tank tops from old navy for my bridesmaids as well as rhinestone iron-ons that say bridemaid. They are cute, and I know from experience that you can get the rhinestones off without ruining the tank top so if they want to continue to wear them after the wedding, they can just take off the iron on.

My own tank top just says bride, although I may add the soon to be on the back. I don't know when I would actually wear it after the wedding, except for around the house so I chose not to worry about going right with my future last name.
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I'm not at all superstitious about these things, but it is inappropriate to send out anything with your new married name before the wedding. But if you want to wear something right before it? I don't think anyone will give it a second thought.
    Lizzie
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_new-monogram-before-im-married?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:c67b0251-2626-4231-a081-7cea75ef74faPost:99dfd062-f1cc-4421-8a46-8ab450b4c2d4">Re: New monogram before I'm married?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not at all superstitious about these things, but it is inappropriate to send out anything with your new married name before the wedding. But if you want to wear something right before it? I don't think anyone will give it a second thought.
    Posted by aragx6[/QUOTE]

I just re-read my post and realized it was unclear. I meant I think wearing a monogrammed shirt with your new last name on your wedding day is different than sending things out with your new last name ahead of time. I definitely agree the latter is inappropriate.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_new-monogram-before-im-married?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:c67b0251-2626-4231-a081-7cea75ef74faPost:1c7de65d-0784-4ff8-b212-0111b6c6bda6">Re: New monogram before I'm married?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: New monogram before I'm married? : I just re-read my post and realized it was unclear. I meant I think wearing a monogrammed shirt with your new last name on your wedding day is different than sending things out with your new last name ahead of time. I definitely agree the latter is inappropriate.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

I did actually read yours correctly. It would have been more helpful if I had said " I agree with Summer!"
    Lizzie
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    I believe superstitious people create their own luck.  Sooo ... if you truly think your mojo will be knocked off center because you purchase items with a new monogram prior to your wedding day, indeed, you will have crazy bad luck.
  • it's 'bad luck' if you believe it is. i'm not superstitious at all!  i'm actully getting a name plat for my desk at work that has my married last name on it because i don;t want to order one with my maiden name now, then have to get a new one in 4 months.
  • Just chiming in, i would LOVE a monogramed button down as a bridesmaid's gift.  But then, I'm a real sucker for a button down.  Have been since college.  Also, I get that its bad luck but if you cross your fingers and throw some salt over your shoulder then I think you'll be good. Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards