Flowers

I dont like flowers so is fake florals tacky?

I have never been a big fan of flowers so I considered fake florals but my soon to be mother in law says thats tacky. I've also thought that you'd be able to tell the difference between fake and real flowers. My wedding style is vintage so I would only like deep red roses and I know those can be pricy. Half of my tables will have the floral centerpieces and the other half will be non florals with dramatic vintage candle holders and damask table cloth's.

Is fake florals a bad idea?

Re: I dont like flowers so is fake florals tacky?

• It is a personal choice.   I do not like fake flowers so I decided on real.  Depending on the flowers selected, both real and fake can be pricey.

I have been to too many weddings.  At some of these weddings, the bridal party carried something else instead of flowers (due to allergies, time of year etc).  I have seen bridesmaids carry parasols, fans, clutches, balloons, pinwheel, lanterns, baskets of fruit and stuffed animals (although the last one had "bridesmaids" that were all small children).

If you do not like flowers, you don't have to have flowers anywhere.
  • Fake flowers....there are several types. When I started looking into prices for flowers my mind was blown. So I looked into alternatives to real flowers we all know about the dollar store silk flowers that look absolutely horrible. While talking with my maid of honor we came up with a great idea she said to save money buy real or true touch flowers. They may not have a smell but, they look amazing!! I went out last night to hobby lobby and bought some of my flowers and they are amazing in my opinion. 

This is one of the true touch white roses they have them in several colors including red.
    These are my true touch hydrangeas

They have several different flower and multiply different colors. I hate silk flowers but , these in my opinion don't look tacky.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I don't agree that deep red roses are pricey, but then the online sites sell them so inexpensively you'd be surprised. Through Costco.com you can get 100 long stem roses for less than $100. They also have wedding packages that are reasonably priced. I got the 20 piece white rose wedding package for $399 and it included my bouquet, the bridesmaid's bouquets, and some centerpieces. I also ordered the bulk roses and white asiatic lillies along with baby's breath.

It's a personal decision. Did my flowers die? Sure, and I didn't preserve them. But for one day we all had the loveliest flowers surrounding us. My bouquet is in the siggy pic below, and the bridesmaid's bouquets were identical but smaller.
  • If you don't like real flowers, would you really like fake flowers?

There are a whole world of non floral decorations out there. Like PP said, there are tons of alternatives! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_i-dont-like-flowers-so-is-fake-florals-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:7972b9ab-a1d4-446c-8749-ddb7ad186e0dPost:227faeef-82e8-454f-9a85-aef462a0ff19">Re: I dont like flowers so is fake florals tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you don't like real flowers, would you really like fake flowers? There are a whole world of non floral decorations out there. Like PP said, there are tons of alternatives! 
    Posted by Barbiiieee[/QUOTE]

This.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • [QUOTE] Is fake florals a bad idea?
    Posted by 3222w27thst[/QUOTE]

Well I am a big fan of fake flowers. I actually wrote a blog about this:
    <a href="http://www.flovery.com/blog/top-ten-reasons-to-choose-artificial-flowers-in-wedding/" rel="nofollow">http://www.flovery.com/blog/top-ten-reasons-to-choose-artificial-flowers-in-wedding/</a>

With careful choosing and design, you can almost get the really awesome ones plus same price as fresh.
    Xena Ng | Real Touch Artificial Florist | http://flovery.com | http://facebook.com/theflovery
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_i-dont-like-flowers-so-is-fake-florals-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:7972b9ab-a1d4-446c-8749-ddb7ad186e0dPost:227faeef-82e8-454f-9a85-aef462a0ff19">Re: I dont like flowers so is fake florals tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you don't like real flowers, would you really like fake flowers? There are a whole world of non floral decorations out there. Like PP said, there are tons of alternatives! 
    Posted by Barbiiieee[/QUOTE]

Ditto!

• I think some fake flowers look tacky, but there are so many option these days. I'm looking at buying silk hydrangeas for our fall wedding. We talked about it and this way was can buy a little at a time until our wedding to help spread out the cost. And then we can sell them after our wedding to get some of our money back and help out another bride. And remember that it's your day and who cares if someone else thinks it's "tacky" as long as you guys love it!!Smile
  • paper flowers or brooch bouquets (flower alternatives) are really popular right now.  Have you given that any thought?
  • i agree that fake flowers are tacky, but thats my oppinion.
    It is YOUR wedding, so do what you want, BUT me aware that same people may drop the "tacky"-word...
    If you do not like flowers, why not skip flowers all together?! Have a bouquet made with broches, or paper flowers ... or other alternatives. Centerpieces could be water filled vases with candles... there are lots of options that are less tacky ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • My FI and I are doing synthetic (Real Touch/Natural Touch) flowers for our wedding. The main reasons for this are that I want to be able to take my bridal pictures with the same bouquet that I will have at the wedding, I want to be able to save my bouquet and have it look the same forever, and I don't want to have to worry about water from the stems getting on dresses. Real flowers, while they smell lovely, would be one more thing to worry about. I want to get as much accomplished in the 14 months till our wedding as I can, and working with real flowers makes it a last-minute thing. There are lots of lovely synthetic bouquets on Etsy, and most of the shop owners will work with you to create your ideal bridal package.

We are using BloomBridalCreations. Honestly, you can't even tell that the flowers aren't real. Here is an example of her work (which is actually very similar to the one she is going to create for me):

Here are two examples of a bridesmaid bouquet I created myself with regular silk flowers (you CAN tell these are fake) to show florists what I want:

Stem is wrapped in wired twine and navy polka-dot ribbon.

Top:

I think synthetic flowers (especially the Real Touch or Natural Touch ones) can be just as lovely as real ones, and they stay beautiful forever. I plan on using my bridal bouquet together with a large wedding photo as mantlepiece decoration in our new home when FI and I move into a house. 
  • I had Silk flowers for my wedding and everyone loved them. I had a package made by www. SilkFlowersByJean.com they are very reasonable. Thanks, Kim

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_i-dont-like-flowers-so-is-fake-florals-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:7972b9ab-a1d4-446c-8749-ddb7ad186e0dPost:a4ef01fc-749e-4c65-8222-29a7b98b503c">I dont like flowers so is fake florals tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have never been a big fan of flowers so I considered fake florals but my soon to be mother in law says thats tacky. I've also thought that you'd be able to tell the difference between fake and real flowers. My wedding style is vintage so I would only like deep red roses and I know those can be pricy. Half of my tables will have the floral centerpieces and the other half will be non florals with dramatic vintage candle holders and damask table cloth's. Is fake florals a bad idea?
    Posted by 3222w27thst[/QUOTE]
  • Not sure what we will do for the centerpieces, butI'm thinking about using fabric flower bouquets. I've been scouring Etsy, and there are so many options, at many price points. (of course the ones I like the most are the most expensive lol)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_i-dont-like-flowers-so-is-fake-florals-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:7972b9ab-a1d4-446c-8749-ddb7ad186e0dPost:227faeef-82e8-454f-9a85-aef462a0ff19">Re: I dont like flowers so is fake florals tacky?</a>:
    Posted by Barbiiieee[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    As PP have said, DITTO! There are so many things you could have. If you still want boquets, think of greenery or other things that could be made into a boquet instead of flowers.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Check out LOVE THE BLOOMS on Etsy.com if you want nice silk arrangements.  I tried making them myself and it's not as easy as it seems.  It was one less thing for me to worry about and I would have probably saved myself alot of money if I would have just given in.  My flowers were beautiful and the price was very reasonable for such beautiful bouquets.  Hope ths helps.  M.
  • There is nothing like fresh, the fragance and professional photos tell all.

Judith
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards