Snarky Brides

Teacher fired for zeros

13»

Re: Teacher fired for zeros

• What scares me more, is these kids that we're waltzing through school are eventually going to be our doctors, lawyers and politicians.  Scary shite.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:e8be0b96-2a5b-4937-b52b-4010b6d943c9">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]What scares me more, is these kids that we're waltzing through school are eventually going to be our doctors, <strong>lawyers</strong> and politicians.  Scary shite.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for the other two professions you named, but I am a lawyer and I can tell you right now that there are zero jobs for people with special snowflake syndrome in the legal industry.  (Hell, there aren't enough jobs for people <em>without</em> special snowflake syndrome in the legal industry right now.)  So at least we can console ourselves that they'll be our future <em>unemployed</em> lawyers? 
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:c9a46cf1-0d7c-43ae-8f5f-4c00c9fcdc99">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teacher fired for zeros : I literally just almost gagged reading this.  No school or student is made equal, so blanket statements and even blanket standards drive me CRAZY.  Nowadays there is such a stigma attached to either attending college or not.  I feel like you're looked down upon now if you don't go to college, which is making students go crazy if they don't get the grades to get into college. 
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

<div>Yep.  She also said that she was happy that because of her "advocating", the teacher realized how intelligent H is and that he deserved a better grade.  I was so, so tempted to say "no actually, the administration probably just realized that you're paying them 12 grand a year, and therefore want to keep you from being upset so you will continue to send H there", but I thought better of it.  The argument had already gotten a bit out of hand at that point and I didn't want to push it too much. </div><div>
    </div><div>When H graduated with his doctorate, she went on about how it was such a huge achievement (which it was!).  Then she would look at me and say "not that a masters isn't good too!".  She probably meant well, but it came off a really condescending.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:4aac5e16-633c-4b05-a9bb-a2918f90b312">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teacher fired for zeros : Yep.  She also said that she was happy that because of her "advocating", the teacher realized how intelligent H is and that he deserved a better grade.  I was so, so tempted to say "no actually, the administration probably just realized that you're paying them 12 grand a year, and therefore want to keep you from being upset so you will continue to send H there", but I thought better of it.  The argument had already gotten a bit out of hand at that point and I didn't want to push it too much.  When H graduated with his doctorate, she went on about how it was such a huge achievement (which it was!).  Then she would look at me and say "not that a masters isn't good too!".  She probably meant well, but it came off a really condescending.
    Posted by LP11509[/QUOTE]

Wow.

When I was student teaching, I caught one of my students cheating.. ON AN OPEN NOTES TEST.  Her mom happened to be one of the counselor's at the school.  I had moved forward to administration to go through the proper channels to report it.  When momma-bear (as I nicknamed her) heard about it, she flippeedd her shiiit on me.  Blamed me, called me a liar, etc.  She told me I was a horrible teacher and that if I moved forward, she'd go straight to the superintendent/school board to make sure that this was removed from her daughter's record.  I was ready to play hardball, but my cooperating teacher told me how this wasn't the first time this woman did this, and she won last time.  The last thing I wanted going into the teaching workforce was a "scandal" around my name (even if I wasn't in the wrong) so I "compromised" and gave her a zero on the test, but she had no other punishments and it didn't go on her record.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:ef939eee-7823-4427-b80c-df16a9652f41">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teacher fired for zeros : So what gives with you and donuts?
    Posted by brandichamberlain[/QUOTE]

They are disgusting.
    panther
  • LP- You should just tell her, well if he got so many wrong then he deserved to get a C. The teacher might have given him a B but he didn't earn it.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Im not surprised at this.  Its the pussification of our kids.  Its just getting worse.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:4aac5e16-633c-4b05-a9bb-a2918f90b312">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]I  <strong>Then she would look at me and say "not that a masters isn't good too!".  She probably meant well, but it came off a really condescending.</strong>

That is super annoying and condescending. But I did laugh a little because it reminds me of The Big Bang Theory and how they always give Howard a hard time.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:dff2930b-4271-4529-8d4c-2ffc6e9f017d">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]LP- You should just tell her, well if he got so many wrong then he deserved to get a C. The teacher might have given him a B but he didn't earn it.
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

<div>I did, but she continued to argue that he's "just not a C student".  </div><div>
    </div><div>She also said, in front of H, that if he had gone to a public school HS he would not have gone on to earn his doctorate.  Way to make him feel good about his achievement. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:70f0ca1c-bdaf-48b5-ae91-9a661e7f8980">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teacher fired for zeros : I did, but she continued to argue that he's "just not a C student".   She also said, in front of H, that if he had gone to a public school HS he would not have gone on to earn his doctorate.  Way to make him feel good about his achievement. 

So he's so smart that he "deserved" that B even though he only actually earned a C, but he's not smart enough to have gotten a PhD without years of private schooling?  Way to be consistent, lady.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:e1329079-8dc6-41b7-a456-ebcf3308d0d5">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teacher fired for zeros : So he's so smart that he "deserved" that B even though he only actually earned a C, but he's not smart enough to have gotten a PhD without years of private schooling?  Way to be consistent, lady.
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]

<div>I know!! That's the best part.  I didn't even bother calling her out on it though.  It wasn't worth the energy at that point. </div>
  • And chels, that is BS that you had to compromise just because the students mom works for the school.  I probably would have done the same thing under the circumstances, but that's just a sucky situation to be in. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:c2d9e085-0a06-4d54-88aa-739ad5d2733e">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with everyone so far. Our school, before I left, was in talks of taking away the "F". I once had a parent complain to my SUPERINTENDENT that I gave her daughter two zeros and it brought her from a B+ to a B. The girl never handed the assignments in so how was I to grade it? Anyway, the superintendent made me give her a "C" average grade for it and it bumped her back up to a B+. <strong>He told me that because I was the teacher, I should have made sure she handed it in. </strong>

And if you had done that, the parents would have complained that you were harrassing their kid. It's a no-win situation.

I despise asshole parents and asshole school administrators that let the asshole parents get away with this crap.
    imageimage
  • jenajjthrjenajjthr member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    I have a late work policy, grade the work, if grade is above 60% then a 60% is put in as a score, less than 60% than whatever grade they got goes in.  Due to giving a "passing" grade I do get more late work turned in than other teachers do.  That being said I still have the students who turn in little to no work, they get a 0 and a comment labeling it "missing."  I had a student end up with a 59% at the end of the year.  I started counting the missing assignments and he had over 15 missing assignments.  So I let the grade stand.  Mom called upset, what could he do to get 1% more.  I said he had the opportunity to turn in missing assignments but hadn't.  That was his opportunity to increase his grade.  Then she started talking about his 504 and how I hadn't contacted her enough, etc.  I knew she was gonna push the issue because of this instead of getting on her son for the missing work.  I had contacted her, he had been maintaining a D, but didn't turn in his review for the final and then bombed the final.  I tried to explain it, but knew I would be overuled by admin.  So I bumped his grade.  I absolutely hate those parents but comfort myself in the fact that their precious little one will be living in their house in 10 years because they can't hold a job or get a good enough job to live on their own. 
  • Zeroes? What are zeroes? I haven't given a single zero in two years of teaching. Assignments that aren't turned in are given an X and exempted.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:f9b43240-e7b8-4687-8296-4ea4e1acdc30">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teacher fired for zeros : I'm not against a kid learning something longer than another kid so when I ask this question, I hope no one jumps down my throat about it. But, if you were to say "Well, he now passed it, I'll change his grade." <strong>Then what is the point of grading things in the first place?</strong> Why not have everything graded at the end of the 9 weeks or whatever.

<div>A blog I read about teaching brought up this question a few weeks ago. Essentially, this teacher believed that changing a grade after a student makes up an assignment truly reflects the students knowledge of the content, and not just their effort.</div>
  • Wow.  Just wow.  I understand that you can't judge a student's understand of the material if you have nothing to grade, but the student has to be responsible for turning in their work.  

And the SI's comment about how they are trying to show students that they can fail if they don't turn in work made me laugh.  He's doing the exact opposite.

And this is why I'm either home-schooling my children or sending them to private school where people can give a sh*t and not get in trouble.  Fail my kid if they don't do the work.  Yeah, I'll call, but it's not going to be to tell them to give my kid a grade they didn't earn.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:4aac5e16-633c-4b05-a9bb-a2918f90b312">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teacher fired for zeros : Yep.  She also said that she was happy that because of her "advocating", the teacher realized how intelligent H is and that he deserved a better grade.  I was so, so tempted to say "no actually, the administration probably just realized that you're paying them <strong>12 grand a year,</strong> and therefore want to keep you from being upset so you will continue to send H there", but I thought better of it.  The argument had already gotten a bit out of hand at that point and I didn't want to push it too much.  When H graduated with his doctorate, she went on about how it was such a huge achievement (which it was!).  Then she would look at me and say "not that a masters isn't good too!".  She probably meant well, but it came off a really condescending.
    Only $12,000?  A few of the private school in my area start at $40,000.  Gotta love NYC and our wonderfully high cost of living. <div>
    </div><div>AATB:  yes, we could fail with effort.  It was a stupid grade that might have been eliminated in the 12 years since I graduated, but I doubt it.  Supposedly it was to praise students who had really been failing but tried to do better and didn't quite make the cut.  However, that could be as true as the pool on the roof, so who knows.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • All I have to say is wow! Could we coddle kids any more than we already do? Hate to break it to the administration, but I feel like this is essentially setting kids up to fail. Teaches them that there are no consequences to their actions. Post-secondary schools won't allow you to make up work except for under extenuating circumstances. I'm glad the teacher stood up for what he thought was right. He probably was the best teacher these kids had since he was ultimately doing right by them.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • It's a ridiculous policy, but it's happening in more places than ever before. We don't have a "policy", however, if any of my students get a 0 for the rating period, semester, whatever, I better be able to produce proof of why they didn't do anything and prove that I did my best to make sure it didn't happen. Basically, a kid can get a 0 and it's my asss on the line, not theirs. Usually, the kid doesn't show up to school, so it's pretty easy to pull an attendance record and prove it, but sometimes I get one that comes to class and does nothing...

Most of the teachers I work with have a policy about making up missing work, not being allowed to make up things when you cut or are illegally absent, etc., but if a student fights it with administration, we have to allow the student to make up the work, otherwise, we are hindering their chances to graduate.

I feel bad for this teacher. This is what happens when we get some of the laws we have in place and have to spend more than half the year taking and worrying our standardized testing scores aren't where they need to be. It's a shame.
  • yes my generation has been called the "sticker generation" because we are used to getting rewarded for our effort even if the work sucks.

its crap. and nobody. not me and not one of my friends were prepared for universtiy . we all got a huge slap in the face and now that ive gone through my year of rude awakenings .... i see it with the people coming to post secondary straight out of highschool and the attitudes they have and its annoying. people just want to fly through life on a cozy cushion
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:6c63bc4c-e8ed-4c0c-b5a8-47a1a16221fc">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]yes my generation has been called the "sticker generation" because we are used to getting rewarded for our effort even if the work sucks. its crap. and nobody. not me and not one of my friends were prepared for universtiy . we all got a huge slap in the face and now that ive gone through my year of rude awakenings .... i see it with the people coming to post secondary straight out of highschool and the attitudes they have and its annoying. people just want to fly through life on a cozy cushion
    Posted by laurenoliveira23[/QUOTE]

That is absolutely true! I try as hard as I can to be hard on my Seniors, not because I want to be a mean teacher, but because I know that when they get to college, professors will fail them the 3rd time they miss a class! Or rip up their paper when they hand it in late. They always think I'm lying when I tell them that stuff, but I've seen it happen.

My fellow 12th grade teachers and I fight a constant tug of war with the administration and what we know we should be doing. As a collective group, we think we need to be hard and have policies in place because it is the last ditch effort to give these kids a look at what some schools are really like. We have to constantly pick and choose our battles, and it's a rarity that it works out in our favor, but at least I can come home at night and say I tried my best.

I still chat with some of my old college professors, and they said recently that they've never seen students coming in to college as lazy or inept as some of these kids are. They ask why they are so ill-prepared and the students say their teachers didn't teach them anything. Where I live, about half of all the teachers in my area all went to the same college I did. It used to be the state teacher's college, and while it's a fully loaded university now, and has been for decades, it still has one of the best and most popular teaching programs in the state. Our professors know we are fully qualified to teach and that we are teaching these students, it's that some of them choose to do nothing and then choose not to take responsibility for it.

When I think about how this is the generation that will be taking care of us when we are old, I cringe and hope I'm capable of taking care of myself, and that I have no big health or financial needs where I have to rely on someone.
  • Bec20Bec20 member
    First Comment
    How the fuuuuuck do we uspposedly have a top 5 education system if this is the case?  You don't hand in an assignment, you did zero work and get a zero.  What's so hard to understand?  I mean, its not like we have GPAs that people look at in high school and universities have no problem failing you from a class if you don't hand in one assignment, even if there are 10.  I mean, a lot of universities aim for about a 65% average (15% above flunking, 15% below entrance scholarship renewals), so what are these kids supposed to think when they graduate and go to U Calgary next year?

I hope this is just a freak school board out west, because I'm only a few years out of high school and it certainly wasn't like this.  I had a guy in my Civics & Careers class who finished the course with a 7% (yes, seven percent).  My principal would suspend you for as long as he was legally allowed if you were caught bullying.  Yet, despite that, we had some of the best ranks in the city for grades, literacy test passing, and whatever.
  • Its so funny my fiance and I were talking about a similar topic the other day. My niece didnt techinally pass the 2nd grade but her parents are making the school put her in the 3rd grade. She cant read and the slight progress she has made is because of her grandparents. Her parents blame the school and her teacher for not teaching her but her parents routinley keep her from school when she doesnt do her homework or they dont get up on time even though school starts at 850 and its less that 50 yards from the house. The schools and the parents need to work together to complete the education process but to fire a teacher because a student doesnt do the work is ridiculious. That is why people who would make great teacher refuse to do it and those who still are teachers just dont care anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards