Registry and Gift Forum

gift card theme for wedding shower

has anyone done this? If you have how do you word without being tacky

Re: gift card theme for wedding shower

• Ditto PP.  Showers are for physical, tear-off-the ribbons presents.  If you don't want a whole lot of those kind of presents, decline showers. 
  • These are tacky.  There is no "non tacky" way to say it.  Just don't do it, it is a very rude request of your guests.
  • MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_gift-card-theme-wedding-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:d24703ed-03bf-4aeb-bfbe-45a280faec91Post:a1d20de1-e9ec-40d1-b253-10896f019037">Re: gift card theme for wedding shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]These are tacky.  There is no "non tacky" way to say it.  Just don't do it, it is a very rude request of your guests.
    Posted by noodle_oo[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, Tacky=Tacky, there is no way around it no matter what pretty words you use.
  • Shower is for physical gifts, not gift cards.  And you can't tell people what to buy for a shower.

If I got an invitation to a GC shower, I'd decline in a hurry.  Very tacky.
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    yeah that is really rude to set a 'theme'.  Let guests bring whatever gifts THEY want to bring.  I don't like being asked or worse told what to bring as a gift.
  • I went to a gift card themed shower last year for a friend. Her shower was in NY where all her family and friends live, but she lives in Florida. This was easiest for them so they didn't have to ship everything to Florida.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_gift-card-theme-wedding-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:d24703ed-03bf-4aeb-bfbe-45a280faec91Post:4b54f835-5a2e-44ec-9b49-57663c2be1fe">Re: gift card theme for wedding shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to a gift card themed shower last year for a friend. Her shower was in NY where all her family and friends live, but she lives in Florida. This was easiest for them so they didn't have to ship everything to Florida.
    Posted by AZMagnini14[/QUOTE]

I had an out of state shower and it worked out fine, without ASKING for anything.  I either returned the gifts to BBB or C&B and bought them back when I got home, or carried them on the plane with me. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_gift-card-theme-wedding-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:d24703ed-03bf-4aeb-bfbe-45a280faec91Post:4b54f835-5a2e-44ec-9b49-57663c2be1fe">Re: gift card theme for wedding shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to a gift card themed shower last year for a friend. Her shower was in NY where all her family and friends live, but she lives in Florida. This was easiest for them so they didn't have to ship everything to Florida.
    Posted by AZMagnini14[/QUOTE]

<div>Was it terribly boring? I love seeing the gifts, but I can't imagine that it's any fun to watch a bride open a bunch of gift cards. I just don't get it.</div>
  • Jen6862Jen6862 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    This is an issue for me too as I'm having an out of state wedding. Maybe BMs could politely suggest it to people without making it a theme... or if you want to make it a theme maybe it can be a "Bring the funniest card you can find" theme and at least it will be fun to read them if you can't open phisical presents. One of my aunts suggest people print out a picture of what they buy me--but I don't know about that! LOL.
  • It wasn't terribly boring. It was a quicker shoewr than normal. Lots of people did bring pictures as the PP mentioned. Its what worked for them, clearly its not for everyone. But do what makes sense for you guys and your situation.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • My aunts, mother and I threw a shower for my cousin's fiance who traveled to MN from Canada for the shower.  We included a little square piece of paper in the envelope with the invite saying where the couple was registered and politely saying that gifts may be ordered/shipped online due to travel back to Canada. 

I think it was completely fine.  People get it !

• Tacky, tacky, tacky! Why don't the brides who are having these Gift Card Showers just flat out say "just give me money" there really is no difference. It was always my understanding that the Shower was to give a gift that the bride and groom-to-be would be able to use for their future household. Not to mention that a gift is usually purchased and then given with much thought and love, what is behind a giftcard? Oh that is right, nothing.
  • My daughter will be moving to Buffalo to start her new job where her fiance will be going to school.  She won't be home until the holidays when they will be getting married.  Her sister wants to have a shower before she leaves since there will be no time before the wedding.  All of her friends realize she will be driving to Buffalo from Florida and will not have the space for extra boxes, but they don't think she should be deprived of a shower.  She has been the hostess and attended many showers.  These people are her friends and they know the situation.  If people are ofended at the gift card idea, they are not REAL friends and should politely decline.  I prefer to give gift cards anyway so it's not extra work for the bride and groom to return or exchange a gift if it's not what they wanted or should they get a double.  Times are changing!  Go with the flow!

• I don't know a good way to word it but I am trying to figure something out too. My fianc goes to the Naval Academy and when he graduates we will move overseas and shipping gifts will be so expensive, and I can't have the famIly just ship the gifts to our home because we don't know if we will have one yet. gift cards and money are the only way around it and then we are going to send all the thank you cards back with a picture of we got with the gift card. My family completely understands and plus now they don't have to watch me awkwardly sit in front of everyone and open presents, no one really pays attention to that part anyways... At least not in my family. To everyone who just says its a horrible thing and terribly tacky, just don't post because you are not being helpful to the question. I know this post didnt really answer but so many people bashed the idea that I thought I would put in my word of understanding. It's 2012, people do all sorts of things for their partie and receptions that used to be unacceptable. But now it's practical and people understand.
  • ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2013
    I miss all the regs. This thread is overrun with people arguing that a party where the whole point is to watch the bride open gifts, that asking for gift cards is perfectly acceptable. 

No one HAS to have a shower or DESERVES one. So if you don't want to smile and open your gifts (gifts, not gift cards) in front of everyone, don't have one.
    Anniversary
  • ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2013
    beeds13 said:

I disagree with those saying this is "tacky".  In today's small world, people have close friends and family all over the country or even all over the world.  It is NOT cheap to travel, just for a bridal shower.  I actually think it's very TACKY to request your friends and family buy a plane ticket or spend $4.00/gallon on gas just to come a long distance for a 2 hour long bore-fest that consists of bad punch, stupid games and someone writing down names of people that gave you gifts.  Especially since they are going to have to travel to come to the actual wedding, a month down the road.  I am 32 years old, have owned my home for 7 years and already own everything I need.  My fiance, same thing.  I don't need more kitchen towels and spatulas.  So, yes, I LOVE the gift card idea.  I sent regular invitiations to all my family and friends (mostly the women), but I had a theme.  My theme was "Toast the Couple".  I asked them to write a toast or a blessing on the back of the invitation card and send it back.  I said.  "Please no gifts, gift cards only" and I specified $25 maximum, so no one felt overwhelmed (especially since the wedding is 3 weeks away).  That way, I know for a fact that my family and friends are blessing my wedding, and I'm not making anyone travel to do it. 

In my opinion, those that say this is "tacky" are being very selfish and are not thinking at all of their family and friends.  I almost decided against doing it due to all the negative comments about it, but I'm glad I decided to do it anyway.  I've gotten multiple compliments, especially from my family, on the idea and they LOVE IT!  Good luck to you and I hope this helps (and it's not too late). 

Um, what does this have to do with a gift card shower? If you're out of town, your choices are 1) don't go (which is fine) or 2) buy a gift online off the registry and have it shipped to the address on the registry. Or if you're out of town send a gift card. But that's not the same thing as the bride requesting gift cards - which is the equivalent of saying "I don't trust you to pick out gifts for me, so just give me cash so I can do it instead."

If you have everything you need, don't have a shower! It's as simple as that!

WAIT - AND you threw your own shower? Actually, it sounds like you didn't even have a shower. You sent out invites asking for a gift, but didn't have an actually event. Holy shit, that's wrong on so many levels.

ETA: Aw crap. Zombie thread.
    Anniversary
  • beeds13 said:

I disagree with those saying this is "tacky".  In today's small world, people have close friends and family all over the country or even all over the world.  It is NOT cheap to travel, just for a bridal shower.  I actually think it's very TACKY to request your friends and family buy a plane ticket or spend $4.00/gallon on gas just to come a long distance for a 2 hour long bore-fest that consists of bad punch, stupid games and someone writing down names of people that gave you gifts.  Especially since they are going to have to travel to come to the actual wedding, a month down the road.  I am 32 years old, have owned my home for 7 years and already own everything I need.  My fiance, same thing.  I don't need more kitchen towels and spatulas.  So, yes, I LOVE the gift card idea.  I sent regular invitiations to all my family and friends (mostly the women), but I had a theme.  My theme was "Toast the Couple".  I asked them to write a toast or a blessing on the back of the invitation card and send it back.  I said.  "Please no gifts, gift cards only" and I specified $25 maximum, so no one felt overwhelmed (especially since the wedding is 3 weeks away).  That way, I know for a fact that my family and friends are blessing my wedding, and I'm not making anyone travel to do it. 

In my opinion, those that say this is "tacky" are being very selfish and are not thinking at all of their family and friends.  I almost decided against doing it due to all the negative comments about it, but I'm glad I decided to do it anyway.  I've gotten multiple compliments, especially from my family, on the idea and they LOVE IT!  Good luck to you and I hope this helps (and it's not too late). 

That's gross.

• I do not think it is tacky or rude. For the people saying 'don't have a bridal shower if you don't want gifts' that is ridiculous. We are throwing a gift card themed wedding shower for the couple. The whole point of the shower is to help the couple in the future, gift cards to home depot, lowes, and other places to help get things for their home WHEN THEY NEED THEM is much more acceptable instead of buying a bunch of sheets and dishes that the couple doesnt need right now. GREAT IDEA
  • NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    jlcarty13 said:
    I do not think it is tacky or rude. For the people saying 'don't have a bridal shower if you don't want gifts' that is ridiculous. We are throwing a gift card themed wedding shower for the couple. The whole point of the shower is to help the couple in the future, gift cards to home depot, lowes, and other places to help get things for their home WHEN THEY NEED THEM is much more acceptable instead of buying a bunch of sheets and dishes that the couple doesnt need right now. GREAT IDEA

Would you have resurrected this three year old thread if you thought gift card showers were a bad idea?
  • @jlcarty13

This thread is 3 years old. And a gift card shower is just as ridiculous now as it was when it was posted. 

@KnotPorscha  Can we close this ancient thread, please?

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • jlcarty13 said:
    I do not think it is tacky or rude. For the people saying 'don't have a bridal shower if you don't want gifts' that is ridiculous. We are throwing a gift card themed wedding shower for the couple. The whole point of the shower is to help the couple in the future, gift cards to home depot, lowes, and other places to help get things for their home WHEN THEY NEED THEM is much more acceptable instead of buying a bunch of sheets and dishes that the couple doesnt need right now. GREAT IDEA
    Why on earth would that be ridiculous?

• Rude then, still rude now. If you don't need presents, what the hell are you going to use the gift cards for? Nobody wants to buy you socks and Drano, so don't ask them for a Target gift card.

• Agreed with lolo. What are these gift cards even for if you have "no need" for any gifts whatsoever? I mean, are you asking people to bring visa gift cards or something? UGH - that's even worse than demanding gift cards to home furnishings type stores...because at least those would be used (presumably) to buy items for your home...
  • jlcarty13 said:

Why would a couple register for sheets and dishes if they don't need them?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards