Moms and Maids

Mom's ceremony idea

A couple days ago I met with our officiant for the wedding to go over how our ceremony was going to proceed. We picked out some readings as well as some unique ceremony ideas such as "The Rose Ceremony" which basically has my groom and I exchange a rose to each other, the first gift we give each other as husband and wife. It's really sweet and romantic, as my fiance and I seem to have a thing for roses (the first gift he gave to me when we started dating was a silver rose with my name engraved).

Anyway, while my mom liked this idea, she wanted to elaborate with it. She suggested to the justice of the peace that before she pronounces us husband and wife, that we leave the altar  to give our parents roses as well. Her reasoning is that she wants to be the first to congratulate us on our wedding.
When she first brought up the idea, I wasn't sure how to respond. I said I'd think about it. But the more I do think about it, I feel like doing that would sort of take away the attention on my fiance and I getting married? The whole point of everyone being there is to celebrate our love?

I do want to give my parents some kind of gift for being so loving and generous, but is there another way to do this, outside my ceremony? What do you ladies think of my mom's suggestion?
Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

Re: Mom's ceremony idea

• tlc35tlc35 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Some people do give roses to the Moms during the ceremony which is fine. I would do a bit more research into how to incorporate that into the ceremony. You are also well within your rights to give her a nice gift at the rehearsal dinner if you prefer.
  • So your mom wants the two of you to give the first gift received from your new spouse to her and your new MIL?  Would she also like your wedding rings?  Tell her no.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I think it's inappropriate because the ceremony is supposed to be about you and your fiance and giving gifts to other people is super out of place.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moms-ceremony-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:3cd9ba85-af27-43fe-aad2-6aa19031e974Post:b7e72863-5825-450d-82e8-99f65098fddd">Re:Mom's ceremony idea</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's inappropriate because the ceremony is supposed to be about you and your fiance and giving gifts to other people is super out of place.
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

I agree. I did bring it up with my fiance, and he doesn't really seem to want to do that either. So we're just not going to do it.
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards