Favors

November Wedding

I'm getting married on 11.30.13 .. the place where we are haveing our reception is decorated for christmas this time of year; christmas tree is up by the fireplace, lights on the staircase..it's absolutly beautiful. So i was thinking as a favor, would a really nice ornament with our wedding date on it be a good idea?? Even though it's not a wedding in december..?  i need help! and more ideas if you have them.. lol thanks =)

Re: November Wedding

• I wouldn't want an ornament with your wedding date on it. Another type of non-personalized ornament might be cute though. Personally, I would do an ornament shaped cookie though.

• Very few people want anything with someone else's name and wedding date on it. As for non personalized ornaments, you will have mixed reactions. Some may love it. I would leave it behind b/c we decorate our tree with pine cones from our yard and tied with ribbon. Some people have a hodgepodge of ornaments on their trees, and some people have a certain "look" about their trees that would make them not be interested in a random ornament that doesn't go with what they have. The ornament shaped cookie would get my vote!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2012
    i was at a wedding where the bride handmade glitter ornaments (where you swish glitter on the inside to coat it), and then attached a ribbon with their names/date on the top.  so you can hang it with the ribbon....or you can untie the ribbon and use a normal hanger and have it non-personalized.

if you wanted an ornament that would be the way i'd do it....
  • I personally would love an ornament but not with your names and wedding date.  The ornament shaped cookie might be a safer way to go though, and those you could personalize.
  • Okay so the ornament idea is out the window!! Lol I appreciate all of your opinions! I wasn't planning on having something edible as a favor...I wanted more of a keepsake thing but maybe that's just too much...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_november-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:8b5f5a7d-fa42-400c-9c29-d5eb50b1cdf6Post:2417d244-1e9f-4fb9-809d-026d48fdb688">Re: November Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay so the ornament idea is out the window!! Lol I appreciate all of your opinions! I wasn't planning on having something edible as a favor...I wanted more of a keepsake thing but maybe that's just too much...
    Posted by miishxo[/QUOTE]

I think your heart is in the right place. However, it might be brutal honesty, but you have to realize that no one will want a keepsake from your wedding except you and your FI.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_november-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:8b5f5a7d-fa42-400c-9c29-d5eb50b1cdf6Post:2417d244-1e9f-4fb9-809d-026d48fdb688">Re: November Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay so the ornament idea is out the window!! Lol I appreciate all of your opinions! I wasn't planning on having something edible as a favor...I wanted more of a keepsake thing but maybe that's just too much...
    Posted by miishxo[/QUOTE]

<div>That's what many people want their guests to want. A keepsake. Unfortunately, nobody really wants trinkets and tchotchkes from other peoples' weddings. They will most likely just end up in the trash, even if people take them from the reception and throw them away out of your sight. It's just clutter to most people. That's why so many suggest edible favors or no favors at all. </div>
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think an ornament could work fine, and the personalized ribbon sounds like a good compromise.  But what if you have guests who are traveling?  It would be tough to get something fragile back home in a suitcase.  And are you sure that all of your guests celebrate Christmas?   I know ornaments are fairly neutral, but you might run the risk of offending someone of a different religion.

Edible favors are good, and almost always go over well.   Yes, some people don't like certain flavors or have food allergies, and you might not be able to accomodate every single person, but I think you will hit a wider audience with an edible favor.   Usually people aren't as upset if it's something they don't like or can't eat, and someone else (like their date) just gets an extra:-)   Obviously if you know that certain people have food allergies, it would be nice if you tried to accomodate them (gluten allergies for example).   

I posted about this a few weeks ago -- but if you do something edible that is a single item (like a cookie), please do one per PERSON instead of one per COUPLE.  H and I went to a wedding where the favor was a really yummy sugar cookie, but it was one per couple, so we had to split it....boo.
    DSC_9275
  • If you don't want to throw out the ornament idea why not use them for the guestbook? Guests can write well wishes and advice on a piece of paper and place them inside of decorated  see-through ornaments. That way you and your FI can hang then up every Christmas, your tree covered with everyone's well wishes! For the favors, edible is the right way to go. If you don't like cookies you could do a s'mores kit or hot cocoa with cute marshmallows. Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards